Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense  (Read 17968 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 04:00:53 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I gave him credit last game, but he really needs to brings something, anything, to the table offensively. We can't continue to play 4 on 5 on that end, while Giannis sags off him and is able to help out on penetration. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if his non-existent offense was alongside Irving and Hayward, but it compounds the problem when we have so much difficulty to generate offense (37% shooting tonight) as is.
Lol do we have to bring back the thread where this guy called Semi trash and a bum?
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 05:49:20 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I gave him credit last game, but he really needs to brings something, anything, to the table offensively. We can't continue to play 4 on 5 on that end, while Giannis sags off him and is able to help out on penetration. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if his non-existent offense was alongside Irving and Hayward, but it compounds the problem when we have so much difficulty to generate offense (37% shooting tonight) as is.
Lol do we have to bring back the thread where this guy called Semi trash and a bum?

You most certainly can. His statical performance, if not the eye test alone, would support the opinion that he was a really bad player (aka bum) for the 17-18 season. That said, since I've seen you use your fantasy basketball trades to assess real world player value (I wish I were kidding), then can you please explain what return you'll get from Semi's 2.7 PPG on 34.6% shooting?

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

You most certainly can. His statical performance, if not the eye test alone, would support the opinion that he was a really bad player (aka bum) for the 17-18 season. That said, since I've seen you use your fantasy basketball trades to assess real world player value (I wish I were kidding), then can you please explain what return you'll get from Semi's 2.7 PPG on 34.6% shooting?
For that, you get Giannis looking behind his shoulder wondering "where is Ojeleye?" in return :)
If those step backs weren't working for him he would have no logical continuation of his game against Semi last night. HE would either shoot long twos or try to bulldoze to the rim again. And he doesn't like to create contact with Semi if he doesn't necessarily need to. (It hurts after some time, I am sure)
Referees were ready not to blow 2 charges again, his drives weren't effective initially, then he missed a baseline long 2...I feel like those stepbacks saved him.
Semi should just play his game and even spray some threes, even if they aren't hitting the bottom of the net.
I feel like he is in Giannis's consciousness. Like he is very aware of him.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 07:53:45 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Brad is in a tough spot going into game 7.  Semi gives us defensive versatility but is his inability to make any plays on offense worth the trade off?  Giannis was much more prepared this time around.  Rozier's hot start also made our offense look better than it was truly playing early in the first quarter of game 6. 

Part of me wants to see us go back to Baynes for game 7.  He has a better grasp of the offense than Semi, sets excellent picks, and gives us a clear rebounding advantage.  Last night we lost the rebounding battle for the first time in this series.  Baynes hasn't looked good but game 3 was the only game where he was a major negative in the box score.

I could be wrong but I feel the best version of this team features Baynes playing well with the starters.  It's very important for Terry, Jaylen, and Tatum to feel comfortable attacking the rim early in game 7.  There is simply more to work with when we have Hoford and Baynes in the P&R.   

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I would go back to starting Baynes but get Semi in by the 6 min mark of 1st quarter. Semi is doing a good job...Freak is a tough cover because he walks and travels so much. LOL

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 08:35:16 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
I would go back to starting Baynes but get Semi in by the 6 min mark of 1st quarter. Semi is doing a good job...Freak is a tough cover because he walks and travels so much. LOL

Sounds about right to me.  Semi still has a valuable role to play against Giannis.  I prefer Baynes as the starter because he gives us the opportunity to be the best version of ourselves.  Staying with Semi is essentially conceding that we are going to allow the Bucks to dictate our lineups.  The results on offense in games 5 and 6 were very underwhelming.  It's absolutely crucial that Brown and Tatum find some sort of rhythm early in the first quarter.  I'm tired of watching indecisive basketball.   

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
This is a great debate.  That being said, Baynes seems to just get blown by or shot over EVERY time Giannis wants to do so.  He does NOT do that vs. Semi!!

I think we have to stick with Semi and KNOW that our "scorers" (Jaylen, Terry, and the Marcus boys) simply canNOT shoot a combined 18-55 overall and 6-25 from three and have the LUXURY of having our non-offensive Giannis' stopper on the court.

They HAVE to shoot better OR we will lose one our few home game sevens in our history!!

Smitty77

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
This is a great debate.  That being said, Baynes seems to just get blown by or shot over EVERY time Giannis wants to do so.  He does NOT do that vs. Semi!!

I think we have to stick with Semi and KNOW that our "scorers" (Jaylen, Terry, and the Marcus boys) simply canNOT shoot a combined 18-55 overall and 6-25 from three and have the LUXURY of having our non-offensive Giannis' stopper on the court.

They HAVE to shoot better OR we will lose one our few home game sevens in our history!!

Smitty77

It really is a nice debate.  You make valid points.  I guess my major concern is that I'm not sure our best players will find a rhythm early with Semi in the starting lineup.   

Baynes is definitely a major liability when he is forced to switch onto Giannis on the perimeter.  He does a serviceable job of making Giannis work hard if the catch is inside of 15 feet.

At the end of the day I value finding an offensive rhythm for the first 5 minutes more than stopping Giannis.  It would be great to replicate our first quarter scoring from games 1 & 2.  Either way hopefully we will see Jaylen and Tatum show some assertiveness right from the jump.  We need strong drives to the paint early and often.

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Semi has done a fine job on Giannis but the Freak still had 31 points on 23 shots last night. We're not talking about the value of shutting down the opposition's best player we're talking about the value of playing him as well as anyone else but where he still puts up MVP numbers.

If that's the case, I need to see more than 1 FGA in 21 minutes. Maybe he was told "Don't worry about shooting" but if you're on the court, you're a basketball player. I'd like to see Semi try a little more than what we've seen.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Semi has done a fine job on Giannis but the Freak still had 31 points on 23 shots last night. We're not talking about the value of shutting down the opposition's best player we're talking about the value of playing him as well as anyone else but where he still puts up MVP numbers.

If that's the case, I need to see more than 1 FGA in 21 minutes. Maybe he was told "Don't worry about shooting" but if you're on the court, you're a basketball player. I'd like to see Semi try a little more than what we've seen.

That's the conundrum, though.

Does Semi's defense that has "limited" Giannis to 23.5 PPG, 12 RPG, 6.5 APG, on 54.5% over his 2 starts outweigh his series averages of 1.7 PPG on disastrous shooting (FG% 23.1 - 3PT% 22.2)?

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »

Online feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Semi plays 31 minutes Giannis gets 16 points = W

Semi plays 22 minutes Giannis gets 31 points = L

We need Semi against the Bucks!
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 07:14:27 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

That's the conundrum, though.

Does Semi's defense that has "limited" Giannis to 23.5 PPG, 12 RPG, 6.5 APG, on 54.5% over his 2 starts outweigh his series averages of 1.7 PPG on disastrous shooting (FG% 23.1 - 3PT% 22.2)?

This is why I would bring Semi off the bench in game 7.  My biggest concern is establishing an offensive rhythm right from the jump.  It's difficult to expect this when one player doesn't contribute anything on offense.  The Bucks know that Semi will only shoot corner threes and isn't comfortable handling the ball on the perimeter.  It's tough to expect Tatum and Brown to hit the paint strong under those conditions.   

At least Baynes can set good picks, hit the occasional mid-range jumper and crash the boards for offensive rebounds.  The drawback is that he can't handle Giannis on switches but I believe we will survive the first 5 minutes.  No matter what there are going to be stretches where Giannis is on the court while Semi and/or Horford are sitting.

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 134
Semi seems to be a hard worker and high character guy. I think he is the type player that every championship team needs. Not there yet but look for big improvement from 1st to 2nd year. Whatever CBS ask playing hard will not be an issue.

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 09:07:15 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Semi doesn't play offense. This allows Bucks to game plan around this glaring fact. Celtics had a poor shooting night at 37%. Bucks we around 51%.

The reason Semi is starting is simple. The bench doesn't have enough punch. Terry Rozier should be the back up point guard, but Irving is out.

The Celtics "used" to bring in Rozier and Smart. They were the bench with Morris.

Alas, team is in such straights they start a player who average 5 attempts a game and unfortunately, doesn't hit many.

When the Celtics win tomorrow? It will have been an armed robbery...just back up the "Semi and load it with Bucks."

(Sorry, I couldn't help it...way better than "deer season", or whatever)

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Semi plays 31 minutes Giannis gets 16 points = W

Semi plays 22 minutes Giannis gets 31 points = L

We need Semi against the Bucks!
That's an oversimplification. Semi did not hold Giannis to 16 points, it was a lot of things that went into that. Giannis was trying to get his teammates involved, it was a road game for the Bucks, and both teams have played worse on the road. The Celts simply cannot score enough if Semi is getting major minutes, what he does on defense isn't enough to make up for that. The reason Semi played fewer minutes is that he wasn't able to stop Giannis, and his complete lack of any contribution on the offensive end made it unwise to keep him in down the stretch. The Celts didn't lose game 6 because their defense on Giannis wasn't good enough, they lost because their offense wasn't good enough. Semi doesn't help with that.