Author Topic: How do we beat the 76ers in the 2nd round?  (Read 16150 times)

Re: How do we beat the 76ers in the 2nd round?
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2018, 12:06:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
ok now this thread is up for business!

We will beat the 76ers, we will beat them good!

Not scared of them

Semi and Brown will handle Simmons. Brown brings extra against Simmons always

Rozier and Smart will hound JJ Reddick who killed the Heat. 

Tatum has played well against them this season. 

Embiid is the Xfactor no doubt as we don't have a center as good as him.  We will need Baynes, Yabu, Monroe, Al, Morris etc. to throw him off his game.  It won't be easy

All in all, we have home court ADV

again really like the matchups of
Tatum + Brown  vs Simmons
Rozier + Smart vs Reddick

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2018, 12:09:38 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Alright we beat the bucks

Happy?  ;D

YES!

« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2018, 12:18:39 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
assuming Brown can play, we have a huge advantage in the back court.

Brown+Semi+Smart are all fast enough or crafty enough defenders to slow Simmons/turn him over.
Smart+Rozier+Tatum are all either fast enough to stay with Reddick or tall enough to dissuade his shot.
Horford matches up well against Saric.

Their bench has an advantage over ours, and Embiid can single-handedly win this series for them, if Baynes is unable to stay out of foul trouble. Theis was HUGE for us in this matchup during the regular season and he's obviously not walking through that door.

Celtics in 7. Home court advantage is huge and we'll contain Simmons and bother their 3-point shooting with our length and stellar perimeter defenders. Embiid will get his--enough at least to make it touch and go--but we'll spread the points around.

My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2018, 12:35:27 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Fully healthy we'd smash Philly.  Too bad that's not the case.

The one player that concerns me aside from Embiid is Reddick.  The only player I trust to consistently slow him down is Smart.  Rozier is improving defensively but he still has too many lapses.  Same with Brown.  Getting caught on a screen for an extra few tenths of a second can mean the difference between getting into Reddick's space and preventing a shot versus him elevating and draining a 3.

Philly also has veteran shooters off the bench that can light us up if they get it going.  Add that to their strong defense and this is not going to be an easy series.  If we're going to win we need Game 7 Al Horford - aggressively attacking the likes of Saric (who clearly can't guard him) and put up at the very minimum 12 shots a game, ideally 14+.  We're also going to need Monroe's size against Embiid, and hope that he's solid enough to not be a sieve defensively.

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2018, 01:12:57 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Fully healthy we'd smash Philly.  Too bad that's not the case.

The one player that concerns me aside from Embiid is Reddick.  The only player I trust to consistently slow him down is Smart.  Rozier is improving defensively but he still has too many lapses.  Same with Brown.  Getting caught on a screen for an extra few tenths of a second can mean the difference between getting into Reddick's space and preventing a shot versus him elevating and draining a 3.

Philly also has veteran shooters off the bench that can light us up if they get it going.  Add that to their strong defense and this is not going to be an easy series.  If we're going to win we need Game 7 Al Horford - aggressively attacking the likes of Saric (who clearly can't guard him) and put up at the very minimum 12 shots a game, ideally 14+.  We're also going to need Monroe's size against Embiid, and hope that he's solid enough to not be a sieve defensively.

Smart is our best defender, but I feel like in some ways guarding Reddick isnt the best type of matchup for him. Smart seems to excel when he can get physical with a guy and get right up on him and really bother him. Having to fly around the perimeter guarding Reddick just seems like waste of what he does best. the other option is Phili is big. If we want to play Smart along with Rozier/Larkin against Phili's big lineups then really the smaller guard has to cover Reddick, because otherwise you have a big size mismatch with Covington or Simmons and those guys will get to the rim (Simmons) or shoot over (Covington) the smaller guards.

And that brings me to one of the problems with this series. Our match ups. Defensively we have some good ones. Brown usually plays well against Simmons, Horfrod can stay with Saric, but if we really wnat to play our best defenisve lineup then we have both Smart and Baynes (for Embiid) on the court. Thats two non shooters, that worked tonight but we wont shoot 79% in every quarter and Phili is good defensively.

Its gonna be good, hopefully Brown is healthy. He sounds like he's gonna do everything to come back game for game one and if he could have played tonight its probably a goood sign. But man in some ways I'd rather he just take it easy and target a game 2 comeback giving himself five days rest. Don't want to risk a more serious injury that will require rehab and take away from his offseason training.

« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2018, 01:57:54 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I think the Celtics would need consistently hot shooting to stand a chance honestly.

« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2018, 02:15:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Guys I like the enthusiasm but TOO SOON, we still don't know if the series will happen or not.  :-X

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2018, 02:30:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Guys I like the enthusiasm but TOO SOON, we still don't know if the series will happen or not.  :-X
We won game 7 ???
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2018, 06:38:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hah! We are not winning this series. Let alone next one

We beat the bucks, so I hope your prediction record goes from 0-1 to 0-2.

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Semi and AL will cover Simmons, no need to double because he will pass and they have shooters
Baynes will handle Embiid, just be physical with him and he will disappear, too bad Theis isn;t there, Moose will only play if he is hot
Morris will take care Saric, he plays soft and Mook will eat him alive
Smart has to check their hottest shooter whether it's reddick or Convinton, Rozier will take the left

That said if Jaylen is healthy we will have no problem beating them. if he can't play we may fall in 6..

« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
C’s will win in 7. I don’t think we’ll drop a game at home. Our role players are quite mercurial and I can see us getting blown out on the road but being extremely solid at home.

That said, I can’t see us beating the Raps, especially without homecoirt advantage. 4-1 or 4-2 loss vs Raps.
- LilRip

« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2018, 08:09:00 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I can't see the C's surviving v. Philly -- especially if JB is out for any length of time.

I am gearing myself up for being impressed by Simmons and Embiid, and expecting to find myself despising Saric, Reddick, Belinelli and Ilyasova. 

« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Shame that Brown is out .  In some ways ,  I think Boston is better suited to beat this 76's team than people think .

I worry about the outside threes from their knock down core .  If that gets going ,  then they are unstoppable.   

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They do have a lot of shooters.   Embiid is a knucklehead. Simmons can't shoot outside and that can be schemed too to some extent and Fultz is damaged goods.  It's the other guys that worry me more in all honesty.

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Hah! We are not winning this series. Let alone next one

When you think you got an "A" on the test but really got an "F".