Author Topic: How do we beat the 76ers in the 2nd round?  (Read 16227 times)

Re: How do we beat the 76ers in the 2nd round?
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Win or lose, and I don't see as to how we can beat the 76ers without Brown and it would have been pretty difficult even with a pre-injury Jaylen in the lineup, imo, I'm really intrigued as to the matchups - switching or not. Boston completely let Magic off the hook in the 80s, imo #ThanksKC ::), so I'm hoping that we can at least make Simmons work, defensively, in this series, however long it should last.

« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I can't see the C's surviving v. Philly -- especially if JB is out for any length of time.

I am gearing myself up for being impressed by Simmons and Embiid, and expecting to find myself despising Saric, Reddick, Belinelli and Ilyasova.

Saric has played well against the Cs and Ilyasova always seems to kill them, no matter what team he is on.

I actually think Philly is a better matchup for Boston than Milwaukee.  Middleton was a nightmare for Boston because of his size, and Reddick simlply cannot just shoot over people.  Simmons is a much better passer than Giannis but Simmons cannot shoot like Giannis.  Do we really see Philly shooting over 50% for the series?

« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
it will be a tough, tough series for the celtics. not impossible to win, but they will have to play CBS game plan perfectly.

one bright light might be rozier. who does philly have as a starter to match up with him? it will probably be reddick or simmons. either way, rozier should do well.

but once again, this is all house money folks. i will not feel bad regardless of the outcome. though winning the series would be nicer by far.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
it will be a tough, tough series for the celtics. not impossible to win, but they will have to play CBS game plan perfectly.

one bright light might be rozier. who does philly have as a starter to match up with him? it will probably be reddick or simmons. either way, rozier should do well.

but once again, this is all house money folks. i will not feel bad regardless of the outcome. though winning the series would be nicer by far.  ;D

J. J. Redick's lack of defense has been completely overstated for a while now. He's improved a lot since he began his career.

« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
We know how o what Simmons and Embiid bring .  ....

its the next four guys that can shoot lights out from three , and bury a team quickly , then turn to Embiid and Simmons and let them finish .

Riddick , Covington , Saric , Iba ,  are so dangerous from three , and any 2-3 get hot and its all over. .....Simmons and Embiid just need average games.

The Sixers are the bucks with two stars except they got 4-5 guys who can get hot and get 20 or more each shooting the outside shot. Always 2-3 are hot on any given nigjt.

Not seeing how we beat them without Browns defense , muchless his offense.

The key to beating Philly is the three players we miss ....Theis is important , Hayward and most of all Irving to finish the job on them at the end of the game.

I do NOT see a HUGE difference at ALL in outside three point shooting between the Bucks and the Sixers.  The Bucks had 6 players playing at least 10 minutes per game that shot over 35% for the regular season:  Middleton, Brogdon, Parker, Muhammad, Snell, and Delly.  (And, they had two players right at 35%:  Bledsoe at 34.9% and Terry at 34.8%.  Philly had seven:  Redick, Saric, Belli, Ily, (both likely ONE YEAR RENTALS), Covington, Bayless, and McConnell.

Smitty77

« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »

Offline jackpercussion

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Im wondering why the jaunted Atlanta Hawks ever released such great players like Belinelli, Ilyasova?  I know. Because they stink.  They are 2 bit role players.  Let's see how tough they are against guys not named Olynk and Whiteside.  Please....... 

« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I think the C's have the defenders to give Ben Simmons a lot of trouble, be it Brown, Tatum, Smart, Morris, or Semi. Whoever is playing pg can be assigned to JJ Redick and just make sure he stays glued to him (we don't have to worry about Redick posting up or taking a smaller defender off the bounce).

That leaves Embiid, who Horfod and Baynes have had some success against. And I wonder if we won't see more Monroe this series, to give Embiid something to worry about on offense and a big body to run into on defense.

I don't think it'll be easy but I think the Celtics could make the ECF again.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2018, 09:33:27 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Here’s some full game highlights of when we played them:

https://youtu.be/ZTEAbTxO64g

https://youtu.be/4YAWinfKTfs

Tatum gets past Covington with ease

Embiid can’t do much against horford. Horford tends to shoot around embiids D or he gets crafty and still makes hard shots.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:50:03 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2018, 04:47:19 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think the C's have the defenders to give Ben Simmons a lot of trouble, be it Brown, Tatum, Smart, Morris, or Semi. Whoever is playing pg can be assigned to JJ Redick and just make sure he stays glued to him (we don't have to worry about Redick posting up or taking a smaller defender off the bounce).

That leaves Embiid, who Horfod and Baynes have had some success against. And I wonder if we won't see more Monroe this series, to give Embiid something to worry about on offense and a big body to run into on defense.

I don't think it'll be easy but I think the Celtics could make the ECF again.

It's pretty interesting how the 76ers compare to the Bucks - similar in interesting ways. "Non-traditional" in that their main ball handlers are at the 3/4. Giannis is a freakish scorer, versus Simmons who is clearly more of a playmaker.

Embiid is the millionaire's version of Thon - can defend like no other with sheer physical talent - and Thon was a thorn on our side. Of course, Embiid is a handful on the offensive end, whereas Thon just got hot from 3.

Guess the best comparison for Middleton (who has killed us) is Saric? Maybe JJ Reddick? Either way, Middleton has been killing us with his mean mixture of ability to put the ball on the floor, and shoot it like no other - nobody like him on the 6ers. In fairness, Reddick has killed Brown through screen maze shenanigans. On the other hand, Brown could kill Reddick with brute force.

That said, with Covington, Saric and others, the 76ers have a far deeper roster than the Bucks - though I like how well our Bucks game plan might end up working against the 6ers.

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Stay at home on shooters. Play Simmons one-on-one, back off him and force him to shoot jumpers. Let Embiid do what Embiid does. Just concentrate on shutting down the supply of open jump-shots to all those shooters and transition opportunities. Embiid will be big but Simmons is inefficient offensively and the supporting cast limited. Target those guy's weaknesses.

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2018, 08:19:27 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
how tall is Joel JEEZE !!

« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I can't wait for people to see the power of Stevens. I already have many ideas on how to abuse the Sixers and I'm just a regular guy. Stevens is going to dismantle this overrated team. They have way too many weaknesses.

Any further questions? They're at best on our level without Hayward and Irving. Every single person on their team, top to bottom, is overrated.

« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2018, 11:11:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I'm surprised nobody started a thread on "How do we beat the Raptors in the Eastern Conference Finals" yet.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2018, 11:16:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I can't wait for people to see the power of Stevens. I already have many ideas on how to abuse the Sixers and I'm just a regular guy. Stevens is going to dismantle this overrated team. They have way too many weaknesses.

Any further questions? They're at best on our level without Hayward and Irving. Every single person on their team, top to bottom, is overrated.

Just gave you your 100th TP for that prediction. Congrats!

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm surprised nobody started a thread on "How do we beat the Raptors in the Eastern Conference Finals" yet.

Welp... now I'll log in tomorrow and find 5 threads created with that...  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller