Author Topic: How do we beat the 76ers in the 2nd round?  (Read 16141 times)

Re: How do we beat the 76ers in the 2nd round?
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Our advantage vs the Bucks was their lack of depth.
Sixers bench has been playing great!
Honestly idk how we get out of this round winning...

What depth do we have?
We don’t , that’s why I don’t see us beating the Sixers.

« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
76ers could be rusty with such a long lay-off.  How long does it take to shake off the rust: 1 qtr?, 1 game?

C's could be emotional flat after such a quick turn around from seventh game Saturday to Monday.

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Get tnt studio crew to pick sixers to win.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2018, 12:35:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

What depth do we have?

Many did not see us beating Milwaukee....We are better than the sixers...the team really believes it can win any game..the youths are growing and gained valuable experience in the Buck series....Boston in 7.

« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What depth do we have?
I don't know how true this is. Their bench guys who get the most minutes are Belinelli, Ilyasova and Amir Johnson.
Our most important bench guys are probably Morris, Smart and Monroe. Not a huge difference there.

Their role players were also taking advantage of a terribly weak defensive team in Miami. Not too impressive there.
Philly are heavily reliant upon Ben Simmons, with him averaging nearly 38mpg in the series against Miami. This doesn't worry me as we defended Simmons better than most this season, with him only averaging 12.5/6.5/4.8 on sub-50% shooting against us. We definitely have a chance
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2018, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
All philly has to do is win 1 game in Boston and we’re in trouble. This team has to show me they can win a road game in the playoffs first. We could be down 3-1 in a moments notice. I watched some philly - Miami , that team is firing on all cylinders right now. Much much tougher than Milwaukee. This will all come to focus rather quickly, especially if Jaylen can’t go. I’m not feeling good right now.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Some thoughts: 
1) We've got to keep the pace slow which means slowing down Simmons.  That's a lot easier said than done.  The Heat were a good, slow paced defensive team and yet the Sixers playoff pace against them would have topped the regular season.  Getting back on defense will be much more important than going for offensive rebounds.
2) The Sixers are turnover prone.  Apply tight, pressure defense on everyone.  Backing off of Simmons would be a mistake as lots of teams found out during the regular season.  I'd switch up defenders on Simmons to keep him from getting comfortable. 
3) The Sixers are a streaky 3 point shooting team.  Need to focus on Redick and make him work hard for his shot.  Assuming he's healthy, Jaylen should predominantly defend Redick.  Jaylen's length and athleticism will cause Redick problems. 
4) Not sure why some people think Horford can defend Embiid.  That would get ugly quick.  Baynes, Monroe and maybe Semi will need to defend him.   Of course that means there will be little pressure on Embiid defensively to leave the paint.  Need to be willing to settle for mid-range jumpers rather than forcing drives with Embiid out there. 
5) When Belinelli is playing, really need to take advantage of his poor defense.  The Sixers switch a lot so get a good matchup and attack him. 

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2018, 01:24:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

What depth do we have?
I don't know how true this is. Their bench guys who get the most minutes are Belinelli, Ilyasova and Amir Johnson.
Our most important bench guys are probably Morris, Smart and Monroe. Not a huge difference there.

Their role players were also taking advantage of a terribly weak defensive team in Miami. Not too impressive there.
Philly are heavily reliant upon Ben Simmons, with him averaging nearly 38mpg in the series against Miami. This doesn't worry me as we defended Simmons better than most this season, with him only averaging 12.5/6.5/4.8 on sub-50% shooting against us. We definitely have a chance
Miami was a top 10 defense during the regular season.  All our games against the Sixers were in the 1st half of the season so I'm not sure there is much to take from them. 

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We know how o what Simmons and Embiid bring .  ....

its the next four guys that can shoot lights out from three , and bury a team quickly , then turn to Embiid and Simmons and let them finish .

Riddick , Covington , Saric , Iba ,  are so dangerous from three , and any 2-3 get hot and its all over. .....Simmons and Embiid just need average games.

The Sixers are the bucks with two stars except they got 4-5 guys who can get hot and get 20 or more each shooting the outside shot. Always 2-3 are hot on any given nigjt.

Not seeing how we beat them without Browns defense , muchless his offense.

The key to beating Philly is the three players we miss ....Theis is important , Hayward and most of all Irving to finish the job on them at the end of the game.

« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
We know how o what Simmons and Embiid bring .  ....

its the next four guys that can shoot lights out from three , and bury a team quickly , then turn to Embiid and Simmons and let them finish .

Riddick , Covington , Saric , Iba ,  are so dangerous from three , and any 2-3 get hot and its all over. .....Simmons and Embiid just need average games.

The Sixers are the bucks with two stars except they got 4-5 guys who can get hot and get 20 or more each shooting the outside shot. Always 2-3 are hot on any given nigjt.

Not seeing how we beat them without Browns defense , muchless his offense.

The key to beating Philly is the three players we miss ....Theis is important , Hayward and most of all Irving to finish the job on them at the end of the game.

Semi and Smart become two very big players potentially in this game.  Swarming defense, shut down their shooters as much as possible.  Unfortunately, they have multiple options. 

« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2018, 03:19:07 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

What depth do we have?

Miami was a top 10 defense during the regular season. All our games against the Sixers were in the 1st half of the season so I'm not sure there is much to take from them.

..that played defense at a bottom-2 rate in the playoffs. Seriously, their defensive rating in the playoffs would've ranked 29th during the regular season.

Our perimeter defense is much, much better than what Miami showed in round 1, especially without Kyrie. Where Milwaukee utilized their combination of size, length, and shooting on the perimeter to sort of deal with our perimeter D, Philly simply doesn't have the same type of advantage out on the perimeter. Further, given our scheme of switching, we're much better equipped to deal with that Philly offense, which Miami just couldn't seem to solve.

« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Without Brown in game one it will be very tough. Just not enough scoring

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
My heart will be deeply into beating Philly, but if the C's get it done I'll be pining for what could have been with Gordon and Kyrie.  It's looking like the path to the Finals is looking easier than usual this year.

« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2018, 04:15:15 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

What depth do we have?

Miami was a top 10 defense during the regular season. All our games against the Sixers were in the 1st half of the season so I'm not sure there is much to take from them.

..that played defense at a bottom-2 rate in the playoffs. Seriously, their defensive rating in the playoffs would've ranked 29th during the regular season.

Our perimeter defense is much, much better than what Miami showed in round 1, especially without Kyrie. Where Milwaukee utilized their combination of size, length, and shooting on the perimeter to sort of deal with our perimeter D, Philly simply doesn't have the same type of advantage out on the perimeter. Further, given our scheme of switching, we're much better equipped to deal with that Philly offense, which Miami just couldn't seem to solve.

Ya I very much disagree. Saying Miami defense was bad in the playoffs completely ignores that Phili had A LOT to do with that. Also, Middleton aside Phili has better perimeter shooting. Reddick, Covington, Saric, Bellinelli all can strikes it. We also have to deal with the fact our best defensive lineup with Smart and Baynes is gonna gave a hard time scoring against Phili length. This is gonna be a tough one

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

What depth do we have?

The Wiz, Spurs, TWolves and Blazers had worse playoff defensive ratings than the Heat.  The Heat played very physical and tried to dirty up the games and still lost handily even with Embiid missing the 1st two games and not 100% in the rest. 

We are a much better team than the Heat and do match up better with the Sixers.  However, the Sixers are a much better team than the Bucks too.  The Sixers have lots of size, length and shooting and they have Embiid.  They also actually run an offense unlike the Bucks.