Author Topic: Game 5: The most “Marcus Smart” game ever  (Read 5017 times)

Re: Game 5: The most “Marcus Smart” game ever
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Tonight was the epitome of Marcus. He shot poorly, took frustrating shots, played excellent defense, and made winning plays.  He’s one of the most unique players I’ve ever seen, and tonight summarized it in one game.

You have to resign him...no matter the cost.
Not no matter the cost. Gotta squezze him for a team friendly deal, IMO. Anything over $10 million a year is too much and even then I think that's too much. The market is bad for him right now. Can't overpay for a bench player.

I'd easily pay $15 million. Not sure I'd start there but if that's what he wants. ...

Man, thats the kind of contract that gets you fired. I get it, Marcus smart is easy to like especially given what hes going through now. But anything over 10 million is too rich.

I agree. You can't pay starter money to a guy who can't be a starter with the currant roster. Portland over paid serval guys and only has 3 starter level players. They got Bounced in the first round. 15 million a year better get you a starter or how are you going to pay Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum and maybe a high 1st rounder this year or next. Look at all the money the Knicks spend to miss the playoffs and look at the Heats payroll or Detroit or Charlotte or Timberwolves or Wizards or Thunder. This teams are paying contender money to not contend.

You can if you have your cornerstones locked up already. The problem with the Heat, or Detroit, or Charlotte, or Wolves, or Wizards, or Thunder is that they paid guys before they locked in their cornerstones.

The Cs locked in Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford already. They also have Brown and Tatum on team-controlled contracts for the next 7-8 years.

When that is the case, you can sign the Smart, Rozier, etc. to Iggy money.

The truth is, if your payroll gets too bloated and you have your cornerstones, you can pretty easily trade Smart, Rozier, Morris, etc. for picks and a trade exception in an off-season.

There no way that Brown and Tatum are on team controlled contracts for the next 7-8 years. 
Greg

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As always, Smart played great when it mattered most; but he also is part of the reason it was that close in the first place. He will never be a great shooter, but he needs to clean up the TOs - some of those passes he was trying to slide through were totally unacceptable and led to fast breaks for the Bucks.

I am definitely a Smart fan and, like others, hope we can re-sign him for anything under $10M, but anything more than that and we have to let him go. If a crappy team overpays him, I think they will be very disappointed. What Smart provides is really only useful to contending teams.

The luxury tax will also come into play next year if we aren't careful. With the Lakers pick not likely to convey, I think DA will do everything in his power to stay just under that level. Retaining Smart and Baynes/Monroe (only one) and filling the last couple slots with vet minimum guys seems like the best way to do that.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 03:53:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There no way that Brown and Tatum are on team controlled contracts for the next 7-8 years.

Why not? They can sign for a 5 year max when they are done with their 4 year rookie deals. Team-controlled does not equal cost-controlled. They will totally be making a lot of money when their rookie deals are up, but we will be able to offer the most years and most money if we want (and hopefully they will continue to show enough that we will definitely want to!).

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Why not? They can sign for a 5 year max when they are done with their 4 year rookie deals. Team-controlled does not equal cost-controlled. They will totally be making a lot of money when their rookie deals are up, but we will be able to offer the most years and most money if we want (and hopefully they will continue to show enough that we will definitely want to!).

Well then with all due respect then with that logic, isn’t everyone on a team controlled contract for the next 7-8 years??  You’re making assumptuons, besides overpaying a player like smart will hurt us more when we need the extra cash to fill out the roster with quality role players to surround our star players.
Greg

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Very good game by Smart! We desperately needed to get him back to add to depth and toughness. Now Brad needs to tell him when there is under 6 seconds left in the shot clock to move the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing ball! Don't think it's your shot because we wont win many games if Smart is our go to guy!!

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

Well then with all due respect then with that logic, isn’t everyone on a team controlled contract for the next 7-8 years??  You’re making assumptuons, besides overpaying a player like smart will hurt us more when we need the extra cash to fill out the roster with quality role players to surround our star players.
It is team control in the sense that after Jaylen and Jayson's rookie contracts are over they are Restricted Free Agents.  The Celtics have the right to match any offer they receive from another team, plus they have the additional carrot of being able to offer both players a contract that is 5 years vs. 4, and has higher max raises each season from what they could receive by signing an RFA tender offer with another team.

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 05:54:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
We have enough shooting firepower with Kyrie and Hayward coming back. Smart fits in like tony Allen as a defensive glue piece for a championship run
Biggest mistake Ainge made during the KG era was letting Tony Allen go.  I don't think he'll want to repeat that - but if some team comes in and overpays they could lose him.  I do think he might be willing to give the C's a slight discount given how good the team is likely to be and he obviously likes playing here.

Expect July to be stressful..lol

TP and I think we underrate Smart when we only focus on this defense.  He really is a good PG.

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Smarts game is not pretty like watching Giannis glide up and down the court like a deer scoring gracefully .

His game is about blood sweat and making winning plays out of nothing .

Giannis should stay out of Smarts headlights

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

No, because the right to pay more than any other team only comes into play with the top players. It's not like we're going to offer Yabusele a 5 year max deal.

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Well then with all due respect then with that logic, isn’t everyone on a team controlled contract for the next 7-8 years?? You’re making assumptuons, besides overpaying a player like smart will hurt us more when we need the extra cash to fill out the roster with quality role players to surround our star players.

To the bolder: yes. That is the value of rookie contracts. After the initial four years (two being team options), the Celtics will be able to extend qualifying offers to Brown and Tatum which would then allow the team to match any offer the players receive in Restricted Free Agency. Regardless, the Celtics are the only team that can offer a 5-year extension (as opposed to four) and can pay both players the most money annually. In addition, because of their service time (more than 3 years playing for the same team), the Celtics will have both players’ Bird Rights, which means they can go over the soft cap to resign Brown and Tatum. This is useful for both high-end talents (most money) and low end talents (right of “last refusal,” means a role player can be retained unless another team drastically over pays or “poison pills,” which I actually think were eliminated in the new CBA).

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I love Marcus Smart

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 10:00:23 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

That's what "team-controlled" means. It doesn't mean they would automatically play for the Celtics, but it does mean the Celtics can make sure they play in green if Ainge decides he wants that.

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
As always, Smart played great when it mattered most; but he also is part of the reason it was that close in the first place. He will never be a great shooter, but he needs to clean up the TOs - some of those passes he was trying to slide through were totally unacceptable and led to fast breaks for the Bucks.

I am definitely a Smart fan and, like others, hope we can re-sign him for anything under $10M, but anything more than that and we have to let him go. If a crappy team overpays him, I think they will be very disappointed. What Smart provides is really only useful to contending teams.

The luxury tax will also come into play next year if we aren't careful. With the Lakers pick not likely to convey, I think DA will do everything in his power to stay just under that level. Retaining Smart and Baynes/Monroe (only one) and filling the last couple slots with vet minimum guys seems like the best way to do that.

This kinda bothers me as I think Marcus and Semi's Defense is the only reason we won that game. NO ONE shot 50% from the field(besides larkin, Baynes whos took 2 shots each). So take away the defense and we lose with how we shot and scored the ball.

For his first game back after not playing for a bit I couldn't ask/want for anything more. PLUS he has a cast/wrap thingy on his thumb on his shooting hand, which prly affected shooting and maybe handling.

I am a fan of both Rozier and Smart but I'd keep Smart. Rozier is better PG but we have a starting PG and do not need to pay for 2 starters at PG. Marcus will probably be cheaper and adds the defense and  intensity we need to contend.
I hope for less then 10mil an year but be happy up to 13mil

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think game 6 was a more typical Marcus Smart game!  And we scored 86 points partly because all night long he slowed the ball movement with his standing still and pounding the ball.

Marcus hurts us on offense.  Very poor shot selection, always.  But worst of all he kills the ball movement on offense.  He doesn't probe, he never moves the ball quickly, eating up shot clock time with just meaningless pounding the ball nearly every time the ball comes to him.  He forces passes frequently.  Of all people why, last night, did he have the ball to finish time periods?  It's not like he is good at creating his own shot or penetrate and kick, or running the pick and roll.  If we need him on the defensive end have him stand in the corner on offense! Keep the ball out of his hands.

Game 5 he brought some energy and didn't hurt us too much on offense, there was his 5 turnovers.  Game 6 I cringed every time he touched the ball.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt