Author Topic: Offer Marcus Smart a contract that declines in value each year?  (Read 644 times)

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I sometimes see some wacky contracts are given out.

I remember Omer Asik had a 3 year contract that paid 5 mil, 5.2 mil and then jumped up about 15 mil the final year.

I see that Robert Covington got a 4 yr extension deal for 47 mil starting next year, but part of that also including increasing his salary this year from 1 mil to 16.7 mil.  So his salary will go from 16.7 mil this year to 10.4 mil next year.

Does the new CBA allow for salaries that decline every year?

In others words could Danny offer Smart a 4 year 40 million contract that paid out as follows:

11.5 mil,  11.0 mil,  9.0 mil  and 8.5 mil the final year?

Of course the C's motivation for this (if it is allowed) would be to manage the luxury tax bill a little.

Re: Offer Marcus Smart a contract that declines in value each year?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Smart's agent is SMART, he will counsel Marcus to agree to a one year deal for something north of the MLE and then try to get a larger, longer term contract next summer.  Ideally next summer he'll be coming off a long post-season run in which he's been a key contributor for a team that made the Finals.

Not enough teams have cap space this summer and I really doubt any team is going to offer him much more than the MLE for multiple years, especially given that he is a RFA.

For the Celts, giving Smart a one year deal allows them to wait a year before making a decision re: Smart vs Rozier.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
That is a very interesting idea Pho!!  A one year deal might be a win-win for both sides.

Still that does not answer the general question about the permissibility of "declining" contracts.  This notion might be a management strategy for other C's coming up for contract renewal (K Irving, T Rozier, etc.)

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
That is a very interesting idea Pho!!  A one year deal might be a win-win for both sides.

Still that does not answer the general question about the permissibility of "declining" contracts.  This notion might be a management strategy for other C's coming up for contract renewal (K Irving, T Rozier, etc.)

Yes, descending contracts are permissible. In fact, IT signed one with Phoenix.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If Smart's agent is SMART, he will counsel Marcus to agree to a one year deal for something north of the MLE and then try to get a larger, longer term contract next summer.  Ideally next summer he'll be coming off a long post-season run in which he's been a key contributor for a team that made the Finals.

This is what I am hoping for and I hope his agent does.