Author Topic: Best shooting starting 5 ever?  (Read 3453 times)

Re: Best shooting starting 5 ever?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2018_start.html

Hill, Calderon,Korver,James,Love as a starting lineup never happened the entire season.

So the posters who use that as an example are 100% incorrect.

TP for doing the quick research on that. Besides, I have to believe the OP's question was in reference to an actual starting line-up, not one based on multiple injuries, trial, or just a random rotation, in general.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 06:13:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Cavs have started a number of lineups this year where Lebron and his 37% is the weakest shooter on the floor (the Hill, Calderon, Korver, James, Love lineup has been particularly sharp shootery, though that made only like a game or 2 as the starting 5 because of the injuries).

That also the worst starting defensive 5 in the league (which our team would not be). Calderon and Korver trying to keep their men in front of them before they get to the rim protection of Kevin Love? Lol
Oh yeah, no question it was a terrible defensive unit, but that wasn't the question so I have no idea why you felt the need to bring it up.

We are talking about a starting 5 the Celtics might actually play together and would be a great team. You introduced a starting 5 from the Cavs that never actually played together that would be unplayable cause of their defense and you say I am bringing up irrelevant stuff? Wow

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Hill, Calderon,Korver,James,Love as a starting lineup never happened the entire season.

TP for doing the quick research on that. Besides, I have to believe the OP's question was in reference to an actual starting line-up, not one based on multiple injuries, trial, or just a random rotation, in general.

TP to both of you.

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think in terms of offensive versatility, it would be one of the best ever. At every position you would have a 37%+ 3pt shooter who is at least capable of putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim. That lineup would be a coaches dream. Every player on the floor is capable of playing in every facet of the offensive possession (with the exception of Kyrie acting as a lob target haha.)

And in terms of defense, they could be a collective menace. 1 6'3 guard, and 4 6'7-6'10 wings/swings/bigs would be difficult to get easy shots against. It all hinges on whether Tatum can add JUST enough wait to hold his own against MOST forwards.
#JKJB

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 06:28:41 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The Kings team back in the day were a really good shooting team with Webber, Peja, Divac, Bibby, and Christie.

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s not their starting lineup, but eight of the top nine players on the Rockets in terms of minutes played shot 35.9% or better this year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 06:37:29 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think in terms of offensive versatility, it would be one of the best ever. At every position you would have a 37%+ 3pt shooter who is at least capable of putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim. That lineup would be a coaches dream. Every player on the floor is capable of playing in every facet of the offensive possession (with the exception of Kyrie acting as a lob target haha.)

And in terms of defense, they could be a collective menace. 1 6'3 guard, and 4 6'7-6'10 wings/swings/bigs would be difficult to get easy shots against. It all hinges on whether Tatum can add JUST enough wait to hold his own against MOST forwards.

Ya I dont worry that much about Tatum ' weight or strength. I think he will get stronger but even if he doesnt there are noy many teams playing a PF who will punish him. Most teams already go small with wings or guards anyway. Bigger issue will be if horford hold up having to play center alot. Still alot of teams that play a big banger lije Embiid, Drummind, JV, Whiteside. 

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
It’s not their starting lineup, but eight of the top nine players on the Rockets in terms of minutes played shot 35.9% or better this year.

That is a pretty wild stat. I guess Capela is the only one that can't.

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Maybe its to simple but shouldn't we be saying golden state?

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Since 2000, I think that we have to consider the following teams in addition to those already mentioned, and in no particular order:

1). 2003-04 Timberwolves. Cassell, Sprewell, Wally (granted, he wasn't technically a starter that year but did play significant minutes so I'm not entire sure as to how to score that one, lol), and KG, plus Hudson and Hoiberg coming off of the bench. That's pretty deng good, imo.

2). 2003-04 Mavericks. Nash, Finley, Toine (LOL), and Dirk with Tony Delk, Josh Howard, and Antawn "Not Antoine" Jamison as reserves.

3). Okay, I'm amending the requirements insofar as dates are concerned, lol, for this one team, because close enough ;D. 1999-2000 Knicks. Charlie Ward, Sprewell, Allan Houston, Larry Johnson, and Patrick Chewing ;D. That's pretty dope, imo, at least in terms of outside shooting.

4). Everyone should remember the 2008-09 Magic with a starting five of Jameer Nelson, Courtney Lee, Hedo Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis, and Dwight Howard, plus Peaches ;D as their 6th man.

5). 2009-10 Jazz. Deron Williams, Wesley Matthews, C.J. Miles, Carlos Boozer, and Mehmet Okur, with Ashton Kutcher and Millsap as reserves. I'd mention AK-47, but he missed a chunk of time, as usual, including most of the postseason, so yeah.

6). 2013-14 Nets. Purely in terms of shooting, this group would have been pretty deadly, had Pierce and KG been at least a couple of years younger and Brook Lopez wasn't, well, Brook Lopez, lol. Still, from a 2K perspective, a starting five of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Blopez would have been pretty dope. I think. Marcus Thornton, Alan Anderson, and Mirza Teletovic were all deadly three point shooters, as well, iirc.

7). 2003-04 Pistons. Ben Wallace notwithstanding, Billups, Hamilton, Prince, and Sheed make for a pretty formidable combination, imo, and Okur and Mike James were excellent shooting reserves, as well.

8). 2006-07 Warriors. Nelson's classic small ball team, beginning with Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, and Biedrins, plus Matt Barnes, Peaches, and even Monta Ellis, to a certain extent. They also had Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy, even though both were injured for practically the entire year.

9). Pacers from 2012-13 to 2013-14. George Hill, Stephenson, George, West, and even Hibbert could shoot. If only Bird had kept Granger. Sigh.

10). 2011-12 Celtics. Rondo, Ray Ray Go Away ;D, Pierce, Bass, and KG is pretty well represented in terms of shooting, imo, plus Bradley and Peaches. I just wish that we had picked up Michael Redd and Boris Diaw, not to mention Jimmy Butler, albeit the latter is mentioned with complete hindsight on my part as I missed out on that one, ugh, as well. That would have been sick.

11). 2012-13 Knicks. Admittedly, they didn't hold up, but that team was scorching from three, iirc, with Raymond Felton, J.R. Smith, Melo, Sheed, Chris Copeland, Jason Kidd, Iman Shumpert, Pablo Prigioni, and Steve Novak.

12). 2010-11 Mavericks. Jason Kidd, DeShawn Stevenson, Caron Butler, Dirk, and Tyson Chandler to start, plus a bench crew/mob of Jason Terry, J.J. Barea, Peja, and Shawn Marion, who moved into the starting lineup following Butler's season-ending injury.

13). 2005-06 Wizards. Arenas, Caron Butler, Jarvis Hayes (before injuries), Antawn Jamison, and Brendan Haywood is at least pretty solid, right?

Okay, that's it for now. I'm sure that I've forgotten someone, though, lol.

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess if you force me to think of a better shooting starting 5 I'd go with Larry Bird and whoever his teammates were in a random year he played over 75 games.

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 08:24:13 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I guess if you force me to think of a better shooting starting 5 I'd go with Larry Bird and whoever his teammates were in a random year he played over 75 games.
I think the original big fundamental (bill Walton) could have learned to shoot the 3 BUT my dear friends Robert & DJ were not 3 pt shooters in any sense of the imagination.
Again the current warrior team, no?

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
You have to love that Hayward is the worst of the bunch.

Yeah, that has to be the best. Atlanta was pretty solid a few years ago with Korver, Teague, Millsap, Carroll, and Horford; but that was before Horford was a really good 3-pt shooter.

Hayward might end up with an even higher percentage, playing off of Kyrie and Horford.

Love at center is so deadly, yet they don't do it consistently. Possibly because the defense is not just horrible, but unplayable.