Author Topic: Seriously, if you had a do-over and could head into this Summer with max cap...  (Read 3237 times)

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
There's no doubt the Hayward contract was a big overpay, the question that remains to be answered is whether or not it will become an albatross (I hope not). 

We're talking about a guy who has averaged over 20 ppg just one season in his career and was never known as a defender.

Compounding all of this is that the season he signed his deal the Celtics drafted Jayson Tatum who is by far the best Rookie they've had in 20 years and he happens to: 1 Have lead the team to a 7 game series in the Eastern Conference Finals and 2.  Plays the same position as Hayward.

One thing is for sure, trade season is going to be interesting this year.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No because I don't think anyone better than Hayward would sign here this summer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There's no doubt the Hayward contract was a big overpay, the question that remains to be answered is whether or not it will become an albatross (I hope not). 

We're talking about a guy who has averaged over 20 ppg just one season in his career and was never known as a defender.

Compounding all of this is that the season he signed his deal the Celtics drafted Jayson Tatum who is by far the best Rookie they've had in 20 years and he happens to: 1 Have lead the team to a 7 game series in the Eastern Conference Finals and 2.  Plays the same position as Hayward.

Well over the last 229 games (barring his lone Celtic appearance) he's averaged 20.3 points. Can't really see how you're complaining about that. And the second point in that sentence is just false unless people didn't pay attention to Utah. Which seems to be a hefty portion of this blog
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This is yet another veiled attempt to disparage Hayward because we’re somehiw concerned that he’s going to get in the way of Tatum.  I can’t wait for people to see how good Hayward is and how lucky we are to have both of them.

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

One thing is clear though, you absolutely have no idea how good of a basketball player Gordon Hayward is. 

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's no doubt the Hayward contract was a big overpay

There's all kinds of doubt about that, since it's not true.

Utah was willing to offer more, and Miami was offering to give a 4-year max.  By definition, it was market rate. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes