Poll

What scoring option will Jaylen Brown be on this team next year?

Clear #1
1 (1.5%)
#1A
2 (3%)
#1B
8 (12.1%)
#1C
7 (10.6%)
Clear #2
7 (10.6%)
#2A
7 (10.6%)
#2B
10 (15.2%)
Clear #3
24 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Can Jaylen Brown be a #1 scoring option as early as next year?(Poll)  (Read 7511 times)

Re: Can Jaylen Brown be a #1 scoring option as early as next year?(Poll)
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 08:33:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I can see all 4 guys averaging between 18-21 ppg

I'm curious, has any team ever had four guys average 18+ points per game?
I looked, I figured if it happened it had to be in the high scoring 60's and my second guess I found the 66-67 Sixers.  Chamberlain 24.1, Greer 22.1, Walker 19.3, and Cunningham 18.5.  The team scored 125.2 ppg and actually had two other players at 12 or better.  They nearly did it again the following year as well.  The only other team I found that did it was the 69-70 Lakers, but Wilt only played in 12 games so I'm not sure I'd count that one.  Of course I didn't do an exhaustive search either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I can see all 4 guys averaging between 18-21 ppg

I'm curious, has any team ever had four guys average 18+ points per game?
I looked, I figured if it happened it had to be in the high scoring 60's and my second guess I found the 66-67 Sixers.  Chamberlain 24.1, Greer 22.1, Walker 19.3, and Cunningham 18.5.  The team scored 125.2 ppg and actually had two other players at 12 or better.  They nearly did it again the following year as well.  The only other team I found that did it was the 69-70 Lakers, but Wilt only played in 12 games so I'm not sure I'd count that one.  Of course I didn't do an exhaustive search either.

TP for finding ones I didn't.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What if I think he might be the 4th option?

What if I think Tatum is going to take a big step up next year?   

But the other question to ask, is Horford ever going to be the 5th option?   I just don't see it since the offense runs so well through his hands.   

Honestly, next year if everyone is back healthy, and the young players continue to make strides; this team has "Contender Issues."   

And that makes me happy.   

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
What if I think he might be the 4th option?

What if I think Tatum is going to take a big step up next year?   

But the other question to ask, is Horford ever going to be the 5th option?   I just don't see it since the offense runs so well through his hands.   

Honestly, next year if everyone is back healthy, and the young players continue to make strides; this team has "Contender Issues."   

And that makes me happy.

I decided to interpret "options" strictly based upon shot attempts and nothing else.  You are absolutely right about Horford.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him have a bunch of 7-10 assist games. 

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:37 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I think Kyrie will still be the most talented individual scorer on the team next season and he'll be bringing the ball up so he'll be the clear #1. Hayward is a better playmaker than either Brown or Tatum so he'll be the #2 option but I wouldn't be surprised if he actually winds up taking fewer shots than Jalen or Jayson or both.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works next year. I can see all 4 guys averaging between 18-21 ppg, with Horford just slinging that ball around.

Jaylen's growth has been terrific to watch. Eventually, the goal for him will be to be a better playmaker and I can see him having a Paul Pierce kind of development ark in that respect. Tatum as well, though I think Tatum has shown better vision that Jaylen so far.

You could see even in the preseason Hayward was trying to be a facilitator on offense. It's quite likely that he'll play a secondary playmaking role to Irving, while Brown and/or Tatum actually put up more shots.

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Forget next year. He should at least be a primary scoring option in this series given that he's being guarded by Brogdon. Sigh. #PostingAndToasting ;D

You realize that Brogdon was the ACC Defensive Player of the Year a few years ago?  He's one of the best man-to-man defenders in the league. 

It's not Brogdon that's leading to Brown's emergence.  It's Brown.  Plus, Brogdon is not guarding Brown most of the time.  At least after switches.

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2018, 11:52:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This team is going to be very unique next season.

I see next years Cs as have a option 1 then 2A,AB,2C

I expect Irving to still be the clear #1 option and average 20+ pts. After that I wouldn't be surprised to see Jaylen, Jason and Gordon all average around the same 15-16ppg. Al will likely take a step back in both MPG and FGA and continue to thrive in his facilitator role.

This lineup will expose any below average NBA perimeter defender.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 12:07:02 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think that Brown has the potential to be a 25-30 ppg scorer within two or three years. I feel like he has that intense drive in him to constantly improve, and the killer instinct on the court. That is why I think he could be at a higher level than Gordon Hayward by the end of next year.

I think next year Brown will be the #3 option for part of the year with the possibility of being the #2 option by year's end if he keeps on developing at the rate he's been going at. We'll see. But yea as long as Kyrie is here he'll probably be #1.

By playoff time next year:

#1: Kyrie
#2: Brown
#3: Hayward
#4: Tatum
#5: Horford

Tatum has a TON of potential too but I'm not sure yet if he has the same drive/killer instinct in him as Brown, time will tell.

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Hard to put numbers to these things but if we have everyone next season, Brown's role will be different and he will need to help the team in more ways than quantity of scoring.  If Brown is on the court with Kyrie and Hayward, the opposing defenses may treat him as the 3rd most important option but think how much more open he should be.  Scoring efficiency will be more important to team success than quantity of scoring.  Other aspects as well such as defense and rebounding.  I think he will adjust to that role just fine.

I would like to see Tatum off the bench next season.  That way he can be a #1-like scoring option but for the second unit.  I think that is a good way to use his game.  Let him focus more on scoring.

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I think that Brown has the potential to be a 25-30 ppg scorer within two or three years. I feel like he has that intense drive in him to constantly improve, and the killer instinct on the court. That is why I think he could be at a higher level than Gordon Hayward by the end of next year.

I think next year Brown will be the #3 option for part of the year with the possibility of being the #2 option by year's end if he keeps on developing at the rate he's been going at. We'll see. But yea as long as Kyrie is here he'll probably be #1.

By playoff time next year:

#1: Kyrie
#2: Brown
#3: Hayward
#4: Tatum
#5: Horford

Tatum has a TON of potential too but I'm not sure yet if he has the same drive/killer instinct in him as Brown, time will tell.

That jumper to put the C's up by 1 toward the end of the game yesterday told me everything I need to know about Tatum's killer instinct.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Pretty sure that he is currently proving that he can be a number 1 scoring option.  Next season, with three legit number 1 scorers on the team, we are gonna have a lot of fun.  A lot.

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
not long as Uncle Drew is healthy . .....he is wizard with the ball , true star .

Hayward / Brown  equals

Tatum l with Smart and Theis

will alot of scoring

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 01:26:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He absolutely can be. Doesn't mean he will be, unless there are injuries.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Jaylen has a ton of potential. No matter what happens with the rest of this series, to see him and Jayson combine for 55 points has to make any Celtic fan giddy with the future possibilities.

Having said that, expecting a 3rd year player who is still developing to be the primary scoring option on a team that has Kyrie Irving is pretty unrealistic.

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I don't really care if Brown is a #1 option, #3 option, or whatever. All I know is that this kid is 21 and already has the capacity to shoot the 3, drive and finish at the rim, and defend like a maniac. Holy moly, he has the chance to be an absolute terror for the next 10+ years.

Amazingly, we might actually be underrating Hayward and Tatum. It's hard to remember, but Hayward was an elite wing last year. He was not some fringe all-star, he was a superb scorer and good at pretty much everything else. Even if it takes time for him to come back to 100%, the expectation should be that he's going to be 2nd to Kyrie in terms of being a primary scorer and primary ball handler next season.

I kind of feel similarly about Tatum. He'll still be young, but just think about what he's already shown us this year. Add a little bit more muscle and a whole extra year of training and experience, and look out.

It's easy to sound like a homer, but think about this: arguably the two most important things you need in the NBA playoffs are 1) the ability to create one's own offense, and 2) the ability to switch on defense. The Celtics will have that in spades once they get Hayward and Kyrie back next year.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com