Author Topic: Irving not at games is disappointing  (Read 5696 times)

Re: Irving not at games is disappointing
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 08:34:50 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Has Gordon Hayward been on the bench during the playoffs?

Hayward is out of town doing specific rehab for his injury.

Not sure if those who excuse Irving are younger fans who have a different set of values than what I have - and what Celtics through franchise history have had - but the team comes first and he is supposed to be the main leader of this team. That is why he said he wanted to leave Cleveland, so he could be "The Man" leading his own team. He ain't leading.

My so-called "Bias" that someone mentioned is based on specific observed behavior during this season, not because I had some opinion about the guy's personality while he was in Cleveland.

Okay. I'm 40. So is my wife, who happens to be a PT. So we'll put that young fan BS right out the door with this.

This close to surgery, the knee could swell during flight. They could put it in a cryocuff. But why risk it and delay rehab just to be at a couple games.

Smart didn't go to away games right after surgery because of the same reason, but wheres the hate on that?

This is about the long game right now. We aren't winning anything. And there is only so much cheering Irving can do at this point to help from the bench. So why risk delays in healing when he can't help much. Let the kids figure it out, take the training wheels off, and let the go. It will help next year big time. Look at Brown this playoff to last play off. Night and Day. Hopefully he comes to play after that bad game 3, that will be a big test, and a good one.

Nothing to see here, Irvings been a good Celtic so far, no reason to call him out for doing the right thing for his body.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 09:08:39 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Who gives a rat's blank if Kyrie is at the games?
As long as he shows up when he is healthy, that is all that matters.

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
He replaced the best Celtics player ever, he believes the Earth is flat, and now this. Trade him Danny.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I remember hearing on the Rainin' J's Locked On Celtics podcast that Hayward can't stand watching the Celtics from the sidelines - because he wants to be out there rather than on the sidelines (or something along these lines).

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
While I think they should be there......   I'm not going to over react.   
Diggles

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Lol are we really saying that because Smart, with a nearly healed HAND injury, is at away games that Kyrie, not close to being healed and out for the season, should too? Haha that's....

Giving Gordon an excuse because you like him though. Are you telling me it would kill Gordon to be at a playoff game and continue rehabbing at another time? He is also out for the season and didn't go to many games and that was before the excuse of going for specific training! (this doesn't matter but it's the same thing being said about Kyrie. Both need to do what's right for them to get back on the court!)

Every knock people have against Kyrie you will find a teammate or coach who says the exact opposite! At this point, it's your bias against him and not reality.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
I'm sure it has everything to do with his knee, I doubt he's taking personal time.

As someone else said quite well, expecting these guys to truly bleed green in the 2018 landscape is idealism.

The purest Celtic I've seen in recent memory was in fact traded for Irving. You can't have it both ways, demand loyalty after shipping out the man who was willing it lay it all down for the team. Kyrie is an upgrade, it was the right move, but IT4 was definitely more from the mold of a bygone era.

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm sure it has everything to do with his knee, I doubt he's taking personal time.

As someone else said quite well, expecting these guys to truly bleed green in the 2018 landscape is idealism.

The purest Celtic I've seen in recent memory was in fact traded for Irving. You can't have it both ways, demand loyalty after shipping out the man who was willing it lay it all down for the team. Kyrie is an upgrade, it was the right move, but IT4 was definitely more from the mold of a bygone era.
It's funny because IT never willing to lay his money down, he made Ainge no choice but to trade him

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this whole thread...  ::)

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think it makes sense to have Smart there, he might be back in a game 7 against this team if needed.  He needs to be watching and taking mental notes of how he can impact the game.  Gordon, Kylie, Theis are all done for the season, and it really doesn't matter if they are there or not.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kyrie Irving's absence from games is an insult to the team. Lots of people on here continue to make excuses and give reasons why it is OK. When I read about yet another of his "group text messages" before home game vs Bucks and then our players praising this example of "great leadership" because it helped the young guys know what to expect, I thought how ridiculous and inexcusable that was and what an insult to the team and the Celtics organization that it represented. My opinion.

Marcus Smart cares so much that he travels with the team to Milwaukee to sit on the bench and support his teammates, even though he has no chance to play in Games 3 & 4. Yet Irving can't even make it to the Garden for Game 2 - though I suppose his grand gesture of sitting on the bench for the 1st half of Game 1 was supposed to impress everyone.

Yes, I know Garnett would watch from the locker room, same with Shaq, maybe Bird did sometimes, but they were right there at the game and with their teammates before they took the floor, at halftime and as they came off the floor. Garnett was always on the bench for playoff games, especially in '09 when he couldn't play because of his injury.

I worried about Kyrie Irving's mentality and dedication to his team from Day 1. He hasn't done much to ease my concerns ........................... on another note, I have yet to see the guy fight over the top of a screen all season. As Charlie Scott would say, "Act like a Celtic" !!!!

his injury may not permit him to travel comfortably.  It is not easy to fly, wait at the airport, pack bags etc.

Maybe he has pain that comes and goes

we also don't even know if the team is asking him not to travel

it is different than what is going on with Leonard.... who has a so called team advising against team doctors etc

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
So much pettiness. Kyrie doesn't owe you anything. You people are too quick to judge without knowing anything, at all, about their circumstances. His teammates are okay with it, his coach, his GM. I for one, prefer the injured players to be at home, or somewhere resting or rehabbing. You mention you've been rebutted tons of times, yet you still come here with the same whining. No one owes you an explanation, and you've continuously shown your bias. We do not need the same thing over and over again.

I disagree with this take..if Kyrie does not owe the fans anything then who does he owe? Who pays his salary? I am surprised he is not at games..he should be since he is drawing a salary to be at work. If he is not there, the team should give the fans an explanation. Fans need to organize and demand respect for their support of these teams.

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 01:08:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Hayward is out of town doing specific rehab for his injury.

Not sure if those who excuse Irving are younger fans who have a different set of values than what I have - and what Celtics through franchise history have had - but the team comes first and he is supposed to be the main leader of this team. That is why he said he wanted to leave Cleveland, so he could be "The Man" leading his own team. He ain't leading.

My so-called "Bias" that someone mentioned is based on specific observed behavior during this season, not because I had some opinion about the guy's personality while he was in Cleveland.

::)

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think guys should be at the games unless there’s a medical reason not to be.  I assume the medical staff suggested that Kyrie not travel.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
I think it makes sense to have Smart there, he might be back in a game 7 against this team if needed.  He needs to be watching and taking mental notes of how he can impact the game.  Gordon, Kylie, Theis are all done for the season, and it really doesn't matter if they are there or not.

game 6 or 5