Author Topic: Irving not at games is disappointing  (Read 5693 times)

Irving not at games is disappointing
« on: April 22, 2018, 02:56:47 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Kyrie Irving's absence from games is an insult to the team. Lots of people on here continue to make excuses and give reasons why it is OK. When I read about yet another of his "group text messages" before home game vs Bucks and then our players praising this example of "great leadership" because it helped the young guys know what to expect, I thought how ridiculous and inexcusable that was and what an insult to the team and the Celtics organization that it represented. My opinion.

Marcus Smart cares so much that he travels with the team to Milwaukee to sit on the bench and support his teammates, even though he has no chance to play in Games 3 & 4. Yet Irving can't even make it to the Garden for Game 2 - though I suppose his grand gesture of sitting on the bench for the 1st half of Game 1 was supposed to impress everyone.

Yes, I know Garnett would watch from the locker room, same with Shaq, maybe Bird did sometimes, but they were right there at the game and with their teammates before they took the floor, at halftime and as they came off the floor. Garnett was always on the bench for playoff games, especially in '09 when he couldn't play because of his injury.

I worried about Kyrie Irving's mentality and dedication to his team from Day 1. He hasn't done much to ease my concerns ........................... on another note, I have yet to see the guy fight over the top of a screen all season. As Charlie Scott would say, "Act like a Celtic" !!!!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Re: Irving not at games is disappointing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 03:29:13 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I said the same about Kawhi so I won't make any excuses for Irving. Unless it is medically not possible he is disrespecting his teammates

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 03:48:27 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Kyrie Irving's absence from games is an insult to the team. Lots of people on here continue to make excuses and give reasons why it is OK. When I read about yet another of his "group text messages" before home game vs Bucks and then our players praising this example of "great leadership" because it helped the young guys know what to expect, I thought how ridiculous and inexcusable that was and what an insult to the team and the Celtics organization that it represented. My opinion.

Marcus Smart cares so much that he travels with the team to Milwaukee to sit on the bench and support his teammates, even though he has no chance to play in Games 3 & 4. Yet Irving can't even make it to the Garden for Game 2 - though I suppose his grand gesture of sitting on the bench for the 1st half of Game 1 was supposed to impress everyone.

Yes, I know Garnett would watch from the locker room, same with Shaq, maybe Bird did sometimes, but they were right there at the game and with their teammates before they took the floor, at halftime and as they came off the floor. Garnett was always on the bench for playoff games, especially in '09 when he couldn't play because of his injury.

I worried about Kyrie Irving's mentality and dedication to his team from Day 1. He hasn't done much to ease my concerns ........................... on another note, I have yet to see the guy fight over the top of a screen all season. As Charlie Scott would say, "Act like a Celtic" !!!!

Goodness sake man.. Its noy even off season yet.. Chill out.

Irving does not have to cut himself to let you see he is bleeding green.

Stop this non sense. Its a non issue to Brad, DA and ownership so why should you be bothered.

He wasn't even suppose to be walking without crutches in game 1 yet he was there...
Do yourself a favor and get off the ledge... It will be even more harder for you to sleep if the Bucks come back and beat us in this series.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 03:49:46 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So another "hate Kyrie" thread.

Great!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:51:12 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
So much pettiness. Kyrie doesn't owe you anything. You people are too quick to judge without knowing anything, at all, about their circumstances. His teammates are okay with it, his coach, his GM. I for one, prefer the injured players to be at home, or somewhere resting or rehabbing. You mention you've been rebutted tons of times, yet you still come here with the same whining. No one owes you an explanation, and you've continuously shown your bias. We do not need the same thing over and over again.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 04:14:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lol at the OP. Really making an issue where there is none
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 04:21:42 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Has Gordon Hayward been on the bench during the playoffs?
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 06:52:59 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

Hayward is out of town doing specific rehab for his injury.

Not sure if those who excuse Irving are younger fans who have a different set of values than what I have - and what Celtics through franchise history have had - but the team comes first and he is supposed to be the main leader of this team. That is why he said he wanted to leave Cleveland, so he could be "The Man" leading his own team. He ain't leading.

My so-called "Bias" that someone mentioned is based on specific observed behavior during this season, not because I had some opinion about the guy's personality while he was in Cleveland.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 06:55:26 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I have no problem with Kyrie not attending a game, it’s a non issue as far as I am concerned. It is not disrespectful in any way. As for Hayward, he is undergoing rehab in Indiana and so is not able to go to games. Perhaps Kyrie is also not traveling due to rehabbing his knee.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 07:10:13 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
So much pettiness. Kyrie doesn't owe you anything. You people are too quick to judge without knowing anything, at all, about their circumstances. His teammates are okay with it, his coach, his GM. I for one, prefer the injured players to be at home, or somewhere resting or rehabbing. You mention you've been rebutted tons of times, yet you still come here with the same whining. No one owes you an explanation, and you've continuously shown your bias. We do not need the same thing over and over again.

This is an opinion forum, so  I will come here and state my opinions on matters related to the Celtics as I wish. I am not stating "the same thing over and over" - I am bringing up new examples that support my criticism of Irving.

Why is this guy above reproach ? Some posters like you appear to have your own agenda to support Irving despite any evidence to the contrary, holding on to him for dear life. Yes, he does owe his teammates, the franchise and the fans a commitment to putting the team ahead of himself. And as a matter of fact, I don't want anyone playing for the Celtics who does not bleed green and I don't apologize for feeling that way.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 07:25:38 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Hayward is out of town doing specific rehab for his injury.

Not sure if those who excuse Irving are younger fans who have a different set of values than what I have - and what Celtics through franchise history have had - but the team comes first and he is supposed to be the main leader of this team. That is why he said he wanted to leave Cleveland, so he could be "The Man" leading his own team. He ain't leading.

My so-called "Bias" that someone mentioned is based on specific observed behavior during this season, not because I had some opinion about the guy's personality while he was in Cleveland.
Why can't Kyrie be rehabbing? He just had surgery if you didn't know.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 07:36:08 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

This is an opinion forum, so  I will come here and state my opinions on matters related to the Celtics as I wish. I am not stating "the same thing over and over" - I am bringing up new examples that support my criticism of Irving.

Why is this guy above reproach ? Some posters like you appear to have your own agenda to support Irving despite any evidence to the contrary, holding on to him for dear life. Yes, he does owe his teammates, the franchise and the fans a commitment to putting the team ahead of himself. And as a matter of fact, I don't want anyone playing for the Celtics who does not bleed green and I don't apologize for feeling that way.

The "bleed green" mentality is awesome for the fans.  There's an idealism that fits with our traditions as a sports city.  Unfortunately the problem with this is that the landscape of professional sports has shifted way too much to ever expect this type of loyalty from a player. 

For example, do you really think Jaylen Brown "bleeds green"?  Have you read about how much time he invested in learning the business aspects of the NBA prior to being drafted?  Don't you also think that Jaylen learned quite a bit from the way the IT situation played out?  Jaylen has a very unique and individualistic personality.  What makes him great is that his commitment and mentality fits everything we want in an ideal Celtic.  However, let's not pretend that any of these guys will ever have true loyalty to the Franchise unless circumstance allows them to play out the majority of their career with the Celtics.  The true loyalty comes AFTER success and longevity.   

As for Kyrie, I'm not going to rip on him without knowing the full reasoning as to why he isn't with the team.  I have no idea how his infection would play a role in rehab and recovery.  There's been nothing to indicate a problem with Danny, Brad or his teammates.  Last time I checked Danny and Brad have put together an excellent culture over the past 5 seasons.  Why presume Kyrie guilty without a single report of tension between him and the organization?  Horford's praise of Kyrie also carries significant weight.  The Kawhi situation looks so bad because he cut off all communication with the organization and his teammates.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 08:00:30 AM »

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
This is just speculation but Kyrie is not traveling with the team because he just had knee surgery and can’t fly due to the risk of blood clots.

I’m a doctor, this is a real thing.  Change in cabin pressure could cause Kyrie to throw a clot.  I don’t think he can get on a plane for 6 weeks postop.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 08:14:09 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Kyrie is Celtic AND a Leader of this team.

Let him rest and rehab his knee.

Once he (and GH and hopefully Smart) returns this team will be a sight to behold.

In the meantime the youngsters Jaylen, Tatum and Rozier have made me proud with what they've done and they are NOT done fighting and advancing.

Let THEM play from under the shadow of Kyrie and GH and continue to do grow and do GREAT things.

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
This is just speculation but Kyrie is not traveling with the team because he just had knee surgery and can’t fly due to the risk of blood clots.

I’m a doctor, this is a real thing.  Change in cabin pressure could cause Kyrie to throw a clot.  I don’t think he can get on a plane for 6 weeks postop.

TP ....from my better half.