Author Topic: Boston Sports  (Read 1938 times)

Boston Sports
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The depleted, left for dead Celtics are up 2-0 in play-offs,and favored to go to finals next season.

Bruins are up 3-1 in Stanley Cup Play-offs.

Red Sox opened up going 16-2, best in MLB!!

Only source of shame  is the New England Patriots, who could only make it to the Super Bowl but not win. 

Embarrassing.  LOL.

Re: Boston Sports
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:04:16 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Talk about be spoiled and lucky! I love it!! God knows we had our years where the opposite was true.

If only I had chosen the Patriots as my football team when I was young...it was all Boston teams but instead of Patriots, I chose the RedSox of old team in the NFL- The Vikings! I am still waiting for their "curse" to be broken- Last year I thought it would have been crazy if Vikings would have faced Patriots in the Bowl- For me, that would have been insane since I am all Boston but Vikings-

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The depleted, left for dead Celtics are up 2-0 in play-offs,and favored to go to finals next season.

Bruins are up 3-1 in Stanley Cup Play-offs.

Red Sox opened up going 16-2, best in MLB!!

Only source of shame  is the New England Patriots, who could only make it to the Super Bowl but not win. 

Embarrassing.  LOL.
Yeah, let's not get ahead of yourselves.

The 2018-19 NBA season hasn't even started yet, the QB of the New England Patriots is still associating with a bunch of repulsive snake-oil salesmen, and David Price and co. are still unapologetic jerks.

But the Bruins are great! :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:59:47 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Yet if you turn on either sports talk radio show in Boston all they can talk about is the offseason Patriots.

BARF!!

/end rant
ok fine

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yet if you turn on either sports talk radio show in Boston all they can talk about is the offseason Patriots.

BARF!!

/end rant

I think a big problem with them is that neither station employs talent that really understands the NBA or NHL.   It's loaded with NFL & MLB guys and guys like Ordway seem too far removed from the game to understand today's NBA.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

BARF!!

/end rant

I think a big problem with them is that neither station employs talent that really understands the NBA or NHL.   It's loaded with NFL & MLB guys and guys like Ordway seem too far removed from the game to understand today's NBA.
I don't think that's accurate. SportsHub has a good deal of quality NHL talk, which is not surprising given that they started as a Bruins-centered station.

Of course, no-one knows jack squat about basketball, and all of them just tune into the NBA for the playoffs. But that's sports talk for you. It's not supposed to be provider of deeply profound sporting insight, it just needs to fill time and get people to call in.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

BARF!!

/end rant

I don't think that's accurate. SportsHub has a good deal of quality NHL talk, which is not surprising given that they started as a Bruins-centered station.

Of course, no-one knows jack squat about basketball, and all of them just tune into the NBA for the playoffs. But that's sports talk for you. It's not supposed to be provider of deeply profound sporting insight, it just needs to fill time and get people to call in.

The Sports Hub hosts are pretty clueless about hockey.  It's when they bring on the hockey-centric guests, that's when there is some knowledge dropped.  And it should since they're the B's flagship. It's a low bar to set the standard on considering EEI flat-out doesn't have a clue outside of Dale but guys like Zo & Mazz don't have the first clue about the NHL.   Felger does have some history dating back to his stint as a beat writer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:53:30 PM by Donoghus »

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 02:46:48 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
As for not knowing the NBA it's very clear they don't. I cringe when they do 5 minute segment of Celtics and have to fake it. I mean your job is to watch sports why is it so hard to have at least a working knowledge of your home team?

I get that Brady is GOAT but it's the bleeping offseason and we have 2 other Boston teams crushing it in the post season. I can only take so much Brady talk before I want to bash my head against the steering wheel.

Change the channel then Chilly if you don't like it!! I really need to invest into an satellite radio  :-[
ok fine

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
As for not knowing the NBA it's very clear they don't. I cringe when they do 5 minute segment of Celtics and have to fake it. I mean your job is to watch sports why is it so hard to have at least a working knowledge of your home team?

I get that Brady is GOAT but it's the bleeping offseason and we have 2 other Boston teams crushing it in the post season. I can only take so much Brady talk before I want to bash my head against the steering wheel.

Change the channel then Chilly if you don't like it!! I really need to invest into an satellite radio  :-[

I go in & out of phases of listening to Boston sports radio.  It gets really unbearable at times.

I don't know how many people remember 1510 The Zone but they actually used to have really good Celtics/NBA coverage and had multiple people who really knew their stuff when it came to the NBA.   Problem was that the signal wasn't worth two licks outside of 128. 

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 02:57:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

BARF!!

/end rant

I know, ridiculous. Boston Sports radio (especially WEEI) is the absolute worst!  NYC so much better, and I hate all the NY teams.

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

BARF!!

/end rant

The Sports Hub hosts are pretty clueless about hockey.  It's when they bring on the hockey-centric guests, that's when there is some knowledge dropped.  And it should since they're the B's flagship. It's a low bar to set the standard on considering EEI flat-out doesn't have a clue outside of Dale but guys like Zo & Mazz don't have the first clue about the NHL.   Felger does have some history dating back to his stint as a beat writer.
I thought Felger was ok. Mazz doesn't have a clue about pretty much anything, and I only pay attention to Zolak when it's football-related for obvious reasons.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
There should be some basic standards for sports knowledge in order to become a radio host. For instance, if you can't answer a few basic questions about the NBA salary cap then you should not be allowed on the air. At the very least it would force some of these poeple to do some basic reading before they open their traps.

Weirdly enough the local Big Jab Portland ME sports station afternoon show is about 10x better than the Boston ones.

They are fair, they know all the sports, and they actually watch a lot of sports. When a listener calls in with a question about an opposing player or team they almost always have a decent answer.