Author Topic: Blazers need to trade McCollom  (Read 5340 times)

Re: Blazers need to trade McCollom
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I definitely think Portland has peaked. They are a good not great team with one great player, and have been hovering in Western Conference as a 40-50 win team for 5 years now. They are ridiculously capped out and have little cgance of getting good enough to get to the Finals for years to come.

They don't need to just trade McCollum. They need a full blown blow up and start over otherwise they are going to be stuck in NBA purgatory for another half decade.

They're a small market.

They have an active fanbase that is accustomed to being in the mix for the playoffs and having entertaining basketball to watch.

They have a franchise player who is a top 10 star in the league beloved by fans.

They have a very good coach.

They have an owner with deep pockets.

Blowing it up and starting over would mean throwing away or at least jeopardizing most of those things.

There are worse things than being a 45 win team likely to lose in the 1st round.

I think in Boston we have a tendency to assume that other teams / fanbases will see the logic in accepting that they can't contend and deciding to become irrelevant for an indefinite period of time in the hope that the next iteration of the team will have a chance to contend. 

That's a lot harder to do when you're the only gig in town and your fans don't have the comfort of two decades of winning and relevance in every single major sport to keep them warm through the cold years of rebuilding.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I definitely think Portland has peaked. They are a good not great team with one great player, and have been hovering in Western Conference as a 40-50 win team for 5 years now. They are ridiculously capped out and have little cgance of getting good enough to get to the Finals for years to come.

They don't need to just trade McCollum. They need a full blown blow up and start over otherwise they are going to be stuck in NBA purgatory for another half decade.

They're a small market.

They have an active fanbase that is accustomed to being in the mix for the playoffs and having entertaining basketball to watch.

They have a franchise player who is a top 10 star in the league beloved by fans.

Blowing it up and starting over would mean throwing away or at least jeopardizing most of those things.

There are worse things than being a 45 win team likely to lose in the 1st round.

I think in Boston we have a tendency to assume that other teams / fanbases will see the logic in accepting that they can't contend and deciding to become irrelevant for an indefinite period of time in the hope that the next iteration of the team will have a chance to contend. 

That's a lot harder to do when you're the only gig in town and your fans don't have the comfort of two decades of winning and relevance in every single major sport to keep them warm through the cold years of rebuilding.
yeah, but they can't pay the luxury tax for a team that is mediocre.  They have to get salary relief and the only way they can realistically do that is trade McCollum (or Lillard).  I can't see them trading Lillard so they have to move McCollum.  I mean something like Hill, Smith, Clarkson, Osman, Zizic, BKN pick for McCollum, Turner, Harkless, and Leonard shaves like 8 million off of their cap this year, plus a lot more in the future.  They get the BKN pick to add a top 10 pick, add Osman and Zizic as young cost controlled talent and then Smith, Clarkson and Hill for some quality players in their backcourt (Thompson could be swapped out for Smith as well if they'd rather go that route).  Only McCollum of the group they are trading is any sort of difference maker.  nbadraft.net has Bamba falling to 8, but whether it is him, Bridges or Carter, it is still a quality piece

So they make that trade the Blazers would look like

PG - Lillard, Clarkson
SG - Smith, Hill
SF - Aminu, Osman, Layman
PF - Bamba, Swanigan, Zizic
C - Nurkic, Collins

That team probably isn't quite as good, but has a lot better cap situation, has more young pieces, and is still a playoff level team in the West.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »

Online ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Some teams are regular season heroes and playoff zeros.

Just glad the Celtics aren't one of those  :laugh:
ok fine

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

They're a small market.

yeah, but they can't pay the luxury tax for a team that is mediocre.  They have to get salary relief and the only way they can realistically do that is trade McCollum (or Lillard).  I can't see them trading Lillard so they have to move McCollum.  I mean something like Hill, Smith, Clarkson, Osman, Zizic, BKN pick for McCollum, Turner, Harkless, and Leonard shaves like 8 million off of their cap this year, plus a lot more in the future.  They get the BKN pick to add a top 10 pick, add Osman and Zizic as young cost controlled talent and then Smith, Clarkson and Hill for some quality players in their backcourt (Thompson could be swapped out for Smith as well if they'd rather go that route).  Only McCollum of the group they are trading is any sort of difference maker.  nbadraft.net has Bamba falling to 8, but whether it is him, Bridges or Carter, it is still a quality piece

PG - Lillard, Clarkson
SG - Smith, Hill
C - Nurkic, Collins

That team probably isn't quite as good, but has a lot better cap situation, has more young pieces, and is still a playoff level team in the West.

I think if they could do a trade like that which would save them cap and return a significant piece that at least provides the hope of a higher ceiling without entirely compromising their ability compete for the playoffs, they would do it.

Of course, there's no way Cleveland would consider a trade like that after LeBron leaves them this summer.   ;D
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
The Wizards are gonna get blown up one way or another.

Gortat is gone anyway -- he is a dinosaur in the modern NBA.

But the front office needs to choose between Beal/Porter or Wall. Its obvious that there is friction there and that their play styles don't compliment each other well.

I could see the Cavs offering Clarkson/Thompson/Nets pick for Wall to try to convince Lebron to stay. It makes sense for both sides, but the Wizards need a bit more.

Any way you look at it, I don't think the McCullom for Beal makes sense for either side. McCullom needs to be able to run his own offense more, and so does Beal. Both Lillard and Wall need backcourt mates who are 3/D players and content without the ball in their hands.

Gortat is killing the Wizards. If ..  They can get a better smaller modern player to replace him.....they should .    He gets beat 6 ways from Sunday on practically ever play .

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They're a small market.

PG - Lillard, Clarkson
SG - Smith, Hill
C - Nurkic, Collins

I think if they could do a trade like that which would save them cap and return a significant piece that at least provides the hope of a higher ceiling without entirely compromising their ability compete for the playoffs, they would do it.

Of course, there's no way Cleveland would consider a trade like that after LeBron leaves them this summer.   ;D
I would guess if that trade was made it would be before the draft and thus Cleveland would use McCollum to help entice Lebron to stay (and Portland would get to pick whomever it wanted).  I mean post trade for the Cavs that is a pretty formidable team if James stays (though it would be lacking a PG).

PG - F.A.?, Calderon
SG - McCollum, Hood
SF - James, Korver, Turner
PF - Love, Green, Harkless
C - Nance, Thompson, Leonard

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Some teams are regular season heroes and playoff zeros.

Just glad the Celtics aren't one of those  :laugh:

TP

our coach is better than Blazer or Wiz ......he can make the playoffs with G league ...LOL

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 03:46:44 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477

This.

Lillard is already 27 and isn't good enough anyways, even if you somehow get him a better star than McCollum. Heck, even if you KEEP McCollum and get another star they won't be good enough, unless that star is LeBron-level awesome. And even THEN there would be doubt as to whether they they would win - would a LeBron/Lillard/McCollum team would be better than the Cavs team that got crushed last year in the Finals? I wouldn't bet on it.

I see no way at all they will be able to compete with teams like GS, Boston, and Philly in the coming years. It would take a miracle.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

They're a small market.

PG - Lillard, Clarkson
SG - Smith, Hill
C - Nurkic, Collins

I would guess if that trade was made it would be before the draft and thus Cleveland would use McCollum to help entice Lebron to stay (and Portland would get to pick whomever it wanted).  I mean post trade for the Cavs that is a pretty formidable team if James stays (though it would be lacking a PG).

PG - F.A.?, Calderon
SG - McCollum, Hood

I guess the 4th best player on that Cavs team is Nance, the 5th best is Hood?
I think that team is getting steamrolled by

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Morris
Smart
Rozier

It's also interesting to wonder what will happen with Thompson. He is currently getting DNP coaching decisions right now. Will be crazy to pay him 35 million a year the next two years to not play. Is that bottom 5 worst contracts in sports? 35 million for unplayable?

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 04:06:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They're a small market.

PG - Lillard, Clarkson
SG - Smith, Hill
C - Nurkic, Collins

PG - F.A.?, Calderon
SG - McCollum, Hood

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Morris
Smart
Rozier

It's also interesting to wonder what will happen with Thompson. He is currently getting DNP coaching decisions right now. Will be crazy to pay him 35 million a year the next two years to not play. Is that bottom 5 worst contracts in sports? 35 million for unplayable?
I'd certainly like Boston's chances in that series. 

I don't think Thompson's contract is bottom 5, but it is definitely awful.  And I know he doesn't play much, but I think a lot of that is Lue just isn't a very good coach.

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 04:21:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I see no way at all they will be able to compete with teams like GS, Boston, and Philly in the coming years. It would take a miracle.

Contending isn't the only goal a franchise can have, though.

Look no further than the Kings, Suns, Wolves to see how long you can be out of the picture, especially in the West, if you decide (or are forced) to completely rebuild.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

They're a small market.

PG - Lillard, Clarkson
SG - Smith, Hill
C - Nurkic, Collins

PG - F.A.?, Calderon
SG - McCollum, Hood

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Morris
Smart
Rozier

I don't think Thompson's contract is bottom 5, but it is definitely awful.  And I know he doesn't play much, but I think a lot of that is Lue just isn't a very good coach.

Do you think Lebron would come back to a team that would no longer even be a favorite to get out of his own conference (and would be a decided underdog to Golden State and Houston most likely) I don't think he wants to do that at 34

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

They're a small market.

PG - Lillard, Clarkson
SG - Smith, Hill
C - Nurkic, Collins

PG - F.A.?, Calderon
SG - McCollum, Hood

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Morris
Smart
Rozier

Do you think Lebron would come back to a team that would no longer even be a favorite to get out of his own conference (and would be a decided underdog to Golden State and Houston most likely) I don't think he wants to do that at 34

Is there a team he could go to where he would be a favorite to get out of his own conference and be competitive against GSW or HOU? 

I don't think LeBron joining one of those two teams is a realistic possibility.  At least I hope it isn't.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 05:39:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
PG - F.A.?, Calderon
SG - McCollum, Hood

I think LeBron leaves CLE.   He is not even involving his team mates  when he plays setting up the I did all I could narrative for when he leaves CLE.

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If you're a team with a top 10 pick, would you trade for CJ?

Also, if you'r Portland, would you trade CJ for, say, a pick in the 5-10 range?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace