Author Topic: Keep or Trade Rozier?  (Read 3048 times)

Keep or Trade Rozier?
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Rozier has passed my eye test. He has looked good. If I am Terry Rozier, I know that I'm a starting point guard in the NBA. I think he has at least that much confidence.

Looking around at the teams as potential fits: CLE, IND, DET, ORL, PHO.

As a Celtics fan, I want both Rozier and Smart back on the second unit to make a run at a title. If that's not going to work, I want to couple Rozier with a decent draft pick to get a top 10 pick in a future draft. Danny can continue to build a strong surplus of future talent on cheap contracts.

Re: Keep or Trade Rozier?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:56:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Think you are completely wrong. You want Rozier to go for it all next year and through the playoffs. You have Sac 19, Mem 19, LAC 19, Bos 18 and Bos 19 to use to consolidate picks to get a higher pick. No need to trade Rozier. Then after next year, he is still a RFA. You can match anything or do a sign and trade if Rozier really doesn't want to be here. Or match and then trade him after 90 days. Either way you control Rozier and you nedd him next year, especially in the playoffs.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Rozier has passed my eye test. He has looked good. If I am Terry Rozier, I know that I'm a starting point guard in the NBA. I think he has at least that much confidence.

As a Celtics fan, I want both Rozier and Smart back on the second unit. On the other hand, if you can couple Rozier with a draft pick to get a top 10 pick in a future draft, I think you make the move. Danny can continue to build a strong surplus of future talent on cheap contracts.

Rookie deals and expiring veteran contracts will become increasingly important moving forward.  We all want Marcus and Rozier back but there will be major luxury tax concerns once Jaylen Brown is due for his max deal in a few years.  I can see Rozier getting $20 million on the open market.  My guy tells me that Ainge will look to deal Rozier for a pick in the 10-12 range + a solid veteran in a contract year.  Unfortunately I can't picture a team giving up a pick inside the top 10.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
It really wouldn't surprise me if he's dealt this offseason. It seems like a very Danny Aine type of move to see a player get built up then dealt for a future pick or something. The issue is you really cant do anything till you figure out whats happening with Smart, cuz if hes gone Rozier isnt going anywhere.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:03:00 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Think you are completely wrong. You want Rozier to go for it all next year and through the playoffs. You have Sac 19, Mem 19, LAC 19, Bos 18 and Bos 19 to use to consolidate picks to get a higher pick. No need to trade Rozier. Then after next year, he is still a RFA. You can match anything or do a sign and trade if Rozier really doesn't want to be here. Or match and then trade him after 90 days. Either way you control Rozier and you nedd him next year, especially in the playoffs.

I personally agree with you on this.  I want Rozier and Smart back for a title run next season.  However, I think Ainge will spend a lot of time in Rozier trade talks.  Ultimately I believe he has faith in his ability to provide Brad with another young talent who can contribute right away.  I don't see us realistically matching a big contract for Rozier during the 2019 off-season.  Luxury tax concerns will become too steep if we sign Rozier and Kyrie to new deals.  Danny is going to resist the scenario of letting Rozier walk for nothing. 

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I understand that we have draft assets. My premise is that Rozier will want to start. IT wants to start. These guys want to stay on the main stage for as long as possible.

I'm not saying that Rozier is going to throw a tantrum. I just think that if Rozier really is this good, then he might be more valuable playing more minutes on another team.

Of course the Celtics want him to stay on a cheap rookie contract, then sign him back on a decent mid-level deal when it's time. I'm not sure that's going to happen.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

As a Celtics fan, I want both Rozier and Smart back on the second unit. On the other hand, if you can couple Rozier with a draft pick to get a top 10 pick in a future draft, I think you make the move. Danny can continue to build a strong surplus of future talent on cheap contracts.

Rookie deals and expiring veteran contracts will become increasingly important moving forward.  We all want Marcus and Rozier back but there will be major luxury tax concerns once Jaylen Brown is due for his max deal in a few years.  I can see Rozier getting $20 million on the open market.  My guy tells me that Ainge will look to deal Rozier for a pick in the 10-12 range + a solid veteran in a contract year.  Unfortunately I can't picture a team giving up a pick inside the top 10.
Rozier is getting no where near 20 million on the open market.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Very tough decision for Danny.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

If Tristan Thompson could get his, Terry surely can get Bledsoe money if he keeps playing like this.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

How is this far fetched if he continues to elevate in the playoffs and improves his game next season? The 2019 nba salary cap is projected to move up to $109 million by 2019 with a luxury tax threshold of $130 million.  It is also projected that there will be significantly more expiring contracts going into the 2019 off-season compared to this year. 

Tyler Johnson, Kent Bazemore, Jeff Teague, Evan Turner, Allen Crabbe, Tim Hardaway Jr., and Reggie Jackson will all be making between $18-$20 million for the 2019-2020 season.  Barring a drop-off in play I would expect Rozier to get signed for big money by another team that strikes out on the max contract free agents.  The baseline for salaries will continue to move up in the future.   

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

It depends on the team.  Rozier is a known and a proven player.  He will cost a lot which could be a deterrent but if he is traded to a team with a lot of cap room it would not matter to them to get a player in his prime that is developed and is a starter.  You have no clue what you will get out of a top 10 pick and it will take years for that player to get to Terry's production.  There will be a lot of suiters for Terry even if it's a trade that nets the C's a 2nd year player with upside. 

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

If Tristan Thompson could get his, Terry surely can get Bledsoe money if he keeps playing like this.
People said the same thing about Bradley and Smart on this board.  They said it about IT as well.  The reality is there just isn't going to be this huge market for PG's, especially non-top level PG's like Rozier.  No team is going to give Rozier 17% of the cap. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Keep and let him walk if someone offers too much as a RFA. Hard to see anyone offering anything worthwhile in a trade.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

It depends on the team.  Rozier is a known and a proven player.  He will cost a lot which could be a deterrent but if he is traded to a team with a lot of cap room it would not matter to them to get a player in his prime that is developed and is a starter.  You have no clue what you will get out of a top 10 pick and it will take years for that player to get to Terry's production.  There will be a lot of suiters for Terry even if it's a trade that nets the C's a 2nd year player with upside.

Part of me wonders if we should expect a better contribution out of a top 10 pick now that we have a much stronger roster.  Brad should be able to integrate a rookie's strengths more effectively with a roster of Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Jaylen, Tatum, and Smart.  If we acquired a pick in the 9-11 range then I wouldn't mind drafting a player like Collin Sexton.   

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

People said the same thing about Bradley and Smart on this board.  They said it about IT as well.  The reality is there just isn't going to be this huge market for PG's, especially non-top level PG's like Rozier.  No team is going to give Rozier 17% of the cap.

I don't think these comparisons are completely accurate.  Bradley will turn 28 next season and durability issues haven't improved.  Smart is too inept as a scorer to get paid big money by a non-contender.  As for IT, his health is the major deterrent to a payday.  He wouldn't have gotten a max contract regardless but a similar deal to Lowry would have been possible.

Rozier will only be 25 and I expect him to generate a lot of interest throughout the league.  Of course this is all under the assumption that his game doesn't drop off in any way.