Author Topic: Hayward was an out West player  (Read 5450 times)

Re: Hayward was an out West player
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2018, 08:59:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
A side question: What exactly is it that worries people here about paying luxury tax?   I know it's cliché to say, but it isn't our money.   Is there some downside to paying luxury tax that I am unaware of -- any penalty other than the tax itself?  If not, then the question should be for Wyc and Steve, etc -- how much do they care about paying the tax?   If they are "all in" then what do we care? 
I would guess that as the C's grow in popularity as a contender, the revenue that comes in likely makes up for some if not all of the tax.  My guess is that our ownership has that all nicely calculated.

There's always limits to wealth. There aren't too many billionaires that are interested in losing hundreds of millions of dollars if they don't have to. GM's should be tasked with combining veterans and cheaper young players in a manner that is cost effective. That would be my view if I was an owner.

If you have the opportunity to put together an expensive all star squad, you pay the tax until you are able to replace veteran role players and aging stars with young cheapish players.

The tax is intended to punish teams for buying wins. It's for the social good to keep interest in all 30 markets.

I think we will see Wyc dip into the tax up to a certain point.  I did some quick math and a payroll of $145 million in two years would add roughly $16 million in taxes.  At that point the added revenue and team success should justify $161 million in spending.  Year 3 would become extremely difficult because the repeater rule comes into play.  A $145 million payroll would result in $171 million after tax.  What can't happen is a payroll that exceeds $150 million before tax.  Tier 3 of the repeater tax will become too much despite a projected increase in revenue as a perennial finals contender.

I don't see the Celtics doing the multiple time offender thing. It's too much money.

I think Rozier, Smart, and Horford are all vulnerable to not be resigned/traded. I don't see Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, or Tatum going anywhere.

Re: Hayward was an out West player
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2018, 09:10:13 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
A side question: What exactly is it that worries people here about paying luxury tax?   I know it's cliché to say, but it isn't our money.   Is there some downside to paying luxury tax that I am unaware of -- any penalty other than the tax itself?  If not, then the question should be for Wyc and Steve, etc -- how much do they care about paying the tax?   If they are "all in" then what do we care? 
I would guess that as the C's grow in popularity as a contender, the revenue that comes in likely makes up for some if not all of the tax.  My guess is that our ownership has that all nicely calculated.

There's always limits to wealth. There aren't too many billionaires that are interested in losing hundreds of millions of dollars if they don't have to. GM's should be tasked with combining veterans and cheaper young players in a manner that is cost effective. That would be my view if I was an owner.

If you have the opportunity to put together an expensive all star squad, you pay the tax until you are able to replace veteran role players and aging stars with young cheapish players.

The tax is intended to punish teams for buying wins. It's for the social good to keep interest in all 30 markets.

I think we will see Wyc dip into the tax up to a certain point.  I did some quick math and a payroll of $145 million in two years would add roughly $16 million in taxes.  At that point the added revenue and team success should justify $161 million in spending.  Year 3 would become extremely difficult because the repeater rule comes into play.  A $145 million payroll would result in $171 million after tax.  What can't happen is a payroll that exceeds $150 million before tax.  Tier 3 of the repeater tax will become too much despite a projected increase in revenue as a perennial finals contender.

I don't see the Celtics doing the multiple time offender thing. It's too much money.

I think Rozier, Smart, and Horford are all vulnerable to not be resigned/traded. I don't see Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, or Tatum going anywhere.

The repeater tax will be dependent upon the additional revenue generated if we become a perennial finals team.  I honestly have no idea how much additional money the team can make from a Finals appearance and increased merchandise sales.