Author Topic: ESPN asking about idea of trading Tatum and Brown for Kawhi Leonard  (Read 14872 times)

Re: ESPN asking about idea of trading Tatum and Brown for Kawhi Leonard
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2018, 04:06:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I wonder if Rozier, Morris and S&T with Marcus Smart + whatever draft picks they want gets Kahwi. Obviously it's not an equal package, but Kahwi is disgruntled and hell we got Kyrie for essentially 1 lotto pick. Sac 19 is most likely going to be about the same as BRK18. Plus you can throw in all of the other picks. That's a lot of assets. I initially thought that it's way too little, but the more I think about it, it seems super fair.

It would make us the frontrunners for a very long time:
Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Leonard, Horford + every vet who wants to win a title.

1. Who are our backup guards?

2. How does our bench look without Morris and both Rozier+Smart? Pretty weak/thin.

3. I wish it could work, but I think other teams beat that offer UNLESS Spurs are super high on Rozier (which they very well could be). Lakers and Sixers could and probably would offer more. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I wonder if Rozier, Morris and S&T with Marcus Smart + whatever draft picks they want gets Kahwi. Obviously it's not an equal package, but Kahwi is disgruntled and hell we got Kyrie for essentially 1 lotto pick. Sac 19 is most likely going to be about the same as BRK18. Plus you can throw in all of the other picks. That's a lot of assets. I initially thought that it's way too little, but the more I think about it, it seems super fair.

It would make us the frontrunners for a very long time:
Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Leonard, Horford + every vet who wants to win a title.

1. Who are our backup guards?

2. How does our bench look without Morris and both Rozier+Smart? Pretty weak/thin.

3. I wish it could work, but I think other teams beat that offer UNLESS Spurs are super high on Rozier (which they very well could be). Lakers and Sixers could and probably would offer more.

1) Realistically, who cares? Either our own draft pick or just pickup a dj Augustin for the vet minimum.

2) See #1. There are a lot of players in the league that are dirt cheap that can give you 15 quality minutes -- Theis, Baynes and Ojeleye would be there still.

3) Lakers don't have anything, really. They have no lotto picks anymore and I'd rather have Sac19 than even Lonzo Ball (their best asset, actually). They'd have to give up both Lonzo and Ingram, and I don't see them doing it. Philly would have to give up Saric, LAL18 and Fultz? I think our offer is still better to a team like SAS who would want the proven players.

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 04:42:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A player who had no choice in where he ended up shouldn't be locked into them for life and considered a quitter for not wanting to stay there.

Agreed. Fortunately for such players, no player is “locked in” to a team “for life”.  All they’re required to do is fulfill their first contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2018, 06:36:52 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Never heard of a superstar pulling this act with a class organization

And, there’s a certain hypocrisy among fans who embrace Kyrie (broke up a title contender) but criticize Kawhi.
Wait. Where's the soul sucking diva teammate in San Antonio? Oh. Wait. Kawhi is the diva in San Antonio.  Everyone understands not wanting to play with Bron. Nobody understands, or should try to understand, quitting. Kawhi is a quitter.

Kyrie quit on his team, too.  "I didn't want to play next to the best player in the world and make the Finals every year" isn't all that great of an excuse.

You have been on the record as a supporter of IT (with the Celtics for this year and beyond), while an early critic of both Irving and Rozier. Has this changed?

RE: Leonard, I don't feel like jumping in on the public beating. He's quiet, which enables the blog boys (us) to pontificate about this or that without any recourse. I hope he comes back healthy for the rest of his career. I like his style of play.

I imagine it will take quite a package to acquire him, so I'm fine if the  Celtics stay put with Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
A player who had no choice in where he ended up shouldn't be locked into them for life and considered a quitter for not wanting to stay there.

Agreed. Fortunately for such players, no player is “locked in” to a team “for life”.  All they’re required to do is fulfill their first contract.
yes, but the meat of the argument however is that it is actually in the best interest of the team to have an unhappy player give them some advanced warning that they aren't going to resign. It should of course be done internally vs the media however so it doesn't become a negative for the player and the team. Thoughts on that?

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2018, 07:16:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If a player doesn't want to play for an organization any longer, I have no problem with what they do to force the hand of the organization to trade them. You hope a simple request by the player to the team gets the job done but sometimes other things have to be said and done. So be it.

I don't consider those players quitters. I consider them pkayers that don't want to work for their employer anymore. They owe nothing to the other employees at that organuzation whether that be front office people, medical staff, training staff, coaching staff or players. They owe it to themselves to let it be known they want to play someplace else.

So no Kawhi is not a quitter. Neither is Kyrie. Neither is Greg Monroe. Neither is Eric Bledsoe. Neither is Carmelo Anthony. Neither is Dwyane Wade. Neither is any player that asked for a trade, requested a trade, requested a buyout and received one or stopped playing until they forced a trade.

As for the Saric and Fultz and picks being better than Tatum and Rozier and picks, I will let you know my opinion on that after I stop laughing.

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm a little confused by the conversation in this thread. Have we had confirmation about why Kawhi isn't playing? As far as I've read, it could be anything from "he's injured" to "it's in his head" to "there's nothing wrong, he's a diva."

Until I hear for sure what the actual situation is, I'm not going to judge him or the organization but I will be scared of making a deal for him. And I'm not super comfortable paying a lot for a guy in any of those 3 situations.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2018, 09:27:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm a little confused by the conversation in this thread. Have we had confirmation about why Kawhi isn't playing? As far as I've read, it could be anything from "he's injured" to "it's in his head" to "there's nothing wrong, he's a diva."

Until I hear for sure what the actual situation is, I'm not going to judge him or the organization but I will be scared of making a deal for him. And I'm not super comfortable paying a lot for a guy in any of those 3 situations.
There is no confirmation, lol.

Kawhi being probably the most quiet NBA star we've seen in decades, if not ever, is certainly not helping
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2018, 09:36:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If a player doesn't want to play for an organization any longer, I have no problem with what they do to force the hand of the organization to trade them. You hope a simple request by the player to the team gets the job done but sometimes other things have to be said and done. So be it.

I don't consider those players quitters. I consider them pkayers that don't want to work for their employer anymore. They owe nothing to the other employees at that organuzation whether that be front office people, medical staff, training staff, coaching staff or players. They owe it to themselves to let it be known they want to play someplace else.

So no Kawhi is not a quitter. Neither is Kyrie. Neither is Greg Monroe. Neither is Eric Bledsoe. Neither is Carmelo Anthony. Neither is Dwyane Wade. Neither is any player that asked for a trade, requested a trade, requested a buyout and received one or stopped playing until they forced a trade.

As for the Saric and Fultz and picks being better than Tatum and Rozier and picks, I will let you know my opinion on that after I stop laughing.
We have no evidence of a Kawhi trade demand that I know of. I tried to double check that. Maybe I'm wrong. So we have a guy who hasn't demanded a trade, is perfectly healthy, and refuses to play. That's quitting. It's closer to a hold out, only the hold out is mid season out of the blue because suddenly he was unhappy and it's not even about money. It's just diva behavior. Hopefully he doesn't get a season of vesting towards his pension

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Kawhi being probably the most quiet NBA star we've seen in decades, if not ever, is certainly not helping

More quiet than Duncan?

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

More quiet than Duncan?
I'd say so. Duncan was laid back, but he'd still talk a fair amount.

TD doesn't have videos like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRS6o6_fxMU
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2018, 09:51:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

We have no evidence of a Kawhi trade demand that I know of. I tried to double check that. Maybe I'm wrong. So we have a guy who hasn't demanded a trade, is perfectly healthy, and refuses to play. That's quitting. It's closer to a hold out, only the hold out is mid season out of the blue because suddenly he was unhappy and it's not even about money. It's just diva behavior. Hopefully he doesn't get a season of vesting towards his pension
We also have no evidence he is completely healthy. Kinda jumping the gun on that assumption eja.

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2018, 10:00:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

We also have no evidence he is completely healthy. Kinda jumping the gun on that assumption eja.
The Spurs seem to think he's totally healthy and that's why this is a thing. I haven't looked if this is based on anonymous sources, but if he really is hurt why aren't they supporting him? Why aren't they publicly stating "This guy is really hurt and is doing everything he can to come back"?  It's a quad injury right? What's that? Six weeks? He was supposed to be back around the all star break right?

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2018, 10:02:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I haven't watched it (yet), but First Take discussed what Ainge should do in the "Kawhi sweepstakes". Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTi3iTBrzQM
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2018, 10:07:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's a quad injury right? What's that? Six weeks?

Tony Parker’s took 8 months to heal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes