Author Topic: ESPN asking about idea of trading Tatum and Brown for Kawhi Leonard  (Read 14864 times)

Re: ESPN asking about idea of trading Tatum and Brown for Kawhi Leonard
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Why Kawai Leanard?  Whose to say he doesn't have the same issues in Boston.
Never heard of a superstar pulling this act with a class organization.

Keep the youth! 
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 07:06:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Never heard of a superstar pulling this act with a class organization

I think a lot of the “class” in San Antonio comes from players agreeing to take less than their fair market value.  It has been a very pro-management team. It’s probably not a coincidence that guys like LMA and Kawhi are having some clashes with the organization right now.

And, there’s a certain hypocrisy among fans who embrace Kyrie (broke up a title contender) but criticize Kawhi.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think a lot of the “class” in San Antonio comes from players agreeing to take less than their fair market value.  It has been a very pro-management team. It’s probably not a coincidence that guys like LMA and Kawhi are having some clashes with the organization right now.

And, there’s a certain hypocrisy among fans who embrace Kyrie (broke up a title contender) but criticize Kawhi.

Irving and Kawhi's situations were a little different. We don't really know why Kawhi all of a sudden wants to bolt. Seems like a good ownership, and a great coach, and stand up players all around him.

Irving had to deal with a poor Owner, and LEbron manipulative BS. There was always issues, and finger pointing and maybe Irving didn't want to be a part of that. It's not fun going to work when you have co-workers out for their own selfish needs. Also Irving was rumored in trade talks not long before he asked to leave. Gotta put that in consideration when you start comparing the two.

But if it comes out that there was issues with Ownership and Pop, then I wouldn't blame Kawhi at all for wanting out. Which makes you kinda respect the C's a little more when players like KG and IT didn't want to leave. And how much PP and KG have spread the good word about the C's

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Reminds me of Bulls fans wanting two Brooklyn picks for Butler

And half this board signing up for that.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 07:45:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Irving and Kawhi's situations were a little different. We don't really know why Kawhi all of a sudden wants to bolt. Seems like a good ownership, and a great coach, and stand up players all around him.

Irving had to deal with a poor Owner, and LEbron manipulative BS. There was always issues, and finger pointing and maybe Irving didn't want to be a part of that. It's not fun going to work when you have co-workers out for their own selfish needs. Also Irving was rumored in trade talks not long before he asked to leave. Gotta put that in consideration when you start comparing the two.

But if it comes out that there was issues with Ownership and Pop, then I wouldn't blame Kawhi at all for wanting out. Which makes you kinda respect the C's a little more when players like KG and IT didn't want to leave. And how much PP and KG have spread the good word about the C's

Why is San Antonio’s ownership group better? Spending-wise I’m not sure that’s the case.  The rumor is that they’re not willing to give him his full max. I can’t imagine Cleveland short-changing an MVP candidate like that.

And, Lebron has a ton of drama attached to him, but he’s not the only guy with an ego. Kawhi is sharing time with LMA, Rudy Gay and Tony Parker, all of whom have their own negatives.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 07:46:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It amazes me how many folk want to make this team older, not better.

Dumb.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 07:54:09 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
And then they woke up!

#### Espn!

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Dumb.

Adding a 27 year old top-5 player would make the team better.

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Dumb.

That's assuming he's healthy AND he actually wants to play...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Dumb.

Yeah, Anthony Davis is worthy of such an offer.  He's a top 5 player.

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 09:16:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Is the trade just Brown and Tatum and filler such that Boston keeps all prime draft picks, Morris, and Rozier (so Brown, Tatum, Yabu, Nader, and Semi)?  If so, I think that might be worth considering as a team of Irving, Hayward, Leonard, Morris, and Horford with Rozier, Smart, Theis, Baynes and/or Monroe on the bench is a clear title contender and the easy favorite in the East.  The team then still has the Sacto and Memphis picks to provide potential high end young talent.  That of course assumes both that Leonard is healthy and would re-sign.

Thanks for a rational post.  While I would be loathe to give up either Jay, the key is identifying the outcome. In this case C’s get a top 5 player to play alongside KI, GH, and AH — all in their primes. With Terry, Smart, Morris  and Moose/Baynes the C’s contend immediately.   

Imagine if the C’s had rookie JT alongside Al Jefferson in 2007 — do you trade JT and Al for KG?  You may not, but you could sure see the justification for doing it.   Kawhi is 5 years younger than KG was in 2007.  If KL is healthy, the idea of trading the Jays for him is not absurd. I wouldn’t like it because I want to see them develop here, but it’s a legit thought.

Except that id rather have Brown or Tatum than Morris and Rozier in vacuum and thats before you consider that Rozier or Morris will be on one year deals and unlikely to be back. Tatum and Brown is too much value for injure one year dual KL. And to answer your question if you had Tatum and Jefferson u absolutely dont trade both for KG, because as history showed us you only needed one.

I agree. The goal is multiple years of contention; keeping one of Brown/Tatum is non-negotiable.

And really, why should we have to add a prime draft pick?  What team is beating Tatum + Rozier + Morris, for instance?
the Sixers can pretty easily beat that while keeping both Embiid and Simmons
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 09:19:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Is the trade just Brown and Tatum and filler such that Boston keeps all prime draft picks, Morris, and Rozier (so Brown, Tatum, Yabu, Nader, and Semi)?  If so, I think that might be worth considering as a team of Irving, Hayward, Leonard, Morris, and Horford with Rozier, Smart, Theis, Baynes and/or Monroe on the bench is a clear title contender and the easy favorite in the East.  The team then still has the Sacto and Memphis picks to provide potential high end young talent.  That of course assumes both that Leonard is healthy and would re-sign.

Thanks for a rational post.  While I would be loathe to give up either Jay, the key is identifying the outcome. In this case C’s get a top 5 player to play alongside KI, GH, and AH — all in their primes. With Terry, Smart, Morris  and Moose/Baynes the C’s contend immediately.   

Imagine if the C’s had rookie JT alongside Al Jefferson in 2007 — do you trade JT and Al for KG?  You may not, but you could sure see the justification for doing it.   Kawhi is 5 years younger than KG was in 2007.  If KL is healthy, the idea of trading the Jays for him is not absurd. I wouldn’t like it because I want to see them develop here, but it’s a legit thought.

Except that id rather have Brown or Tatum than Morris and Rozier in vacuum and thats before you consider that Rozier or Morris will be on one year deals and unlikely to be back. Tatum and Brown is too much value for injure one year dual KL. And to answer your question if you had Tatum and Jefferson u absolutely dont trade both for KG, because as history showed us you only needed one.

I agree. The goal is multiple years of contention; keeping one of Brown/Tatum is non-negotiable.

And really, why should we have to add a prime draft pick?  What team is beating Tatum + Rozier + Morris, for instance?

Yeah I was actually just about to say this. PHI can. And I doubt they do this, but if Magic Johnson signs PG13 and knows Lebron ain't coming, then maybe he's actually willing to trade Kuzma AND Ingram for Leonard, which would beat that offer too.

But PHI can by trading Saric, Fultz, Salary + like 2 future first rounders (including this year's Lakers Pick).

Frankly though, I'm fine with that. C's shouldn't overpay here. I like the team that we have. Just need to pray we stay relatively healthy next year and hope some of the young guys take an extra step (like Brown and Tatum improve more, and hey, maybe someone like Ojeyele surprises us and makes a bit of a leap next year).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there I wouldn't trade Tatum for any combination of players on the Sixers roster that didn't include Embiid and Simmons.

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah I was actually just about to say this. PHI can. And I doubt they do this, but if Magic Johnson signs PG13 and knows Lebron ain't coming, then maybe he's actually willing to trade Kuzma AND Ingram for Leonard, which would beat that offer too.

But PHI can by trading Saric, Fultz, Salary + like 2 future first rounders (including this year's Lakers Pick).

Frankly though, I'm fine with that. C's shouldn't overpay here. I like the team that we have. Just need to pray we stay relatively healthy next year and hope some of the young guys take an extra step (like Brown and Tatum improve more, and hey, maybe someone like Ojeyele surprises us and makes a bit of a leap next year).

You would trade Tatum + Rozier + Morris for Saric + Fultz + Lakers pick + PHI #1?

Why?  Is Fultz's 2.5 points per game on 14.3% shooting in the playoffs that impressive?

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Wait. Where's the soul sucking diva teammate in San Antonio? Oh. Wait. Kawhi is the diva in San Antonio.  Everyone understands not wanting to play with Bron. Nobody understands, or should try to understand, quitting. Kawhi is a quitter. Kawhi is the kind of player that should end up on the Clippers with Doc.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:42:00 PM by eja117 »