Author Topic: Anonymous NBA coach jealous of the way the media treats Brad  (Read 6159 times)

Re: Anonymous NBA coach jealous of the way the media treats Brad
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Obviously whiny and petty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of coaches actually felt that way.  Brad definitely has risen the respect ranks very quickly and without much real playoff success (even with the 2 wins this year, he is just 13-17 in the playoffs and has never finished a playoff run above .500).

I am not sure if you are being serious with this. In his second season he somehow coached a team that had no business being in the playoffs against the Cleveland Cavs. He started Brandon Bass, Bradley, Evan Turner, Smart and Tyler freaking Zeller. You are going to hold it against him for not winning a game that series? The next season the starting lineups were

Isiah Thomas (new to the roster)
Jae Crowder
Evan Turner
Amir Johnson
Jonas Jerekbro

Versus
Ken Bazemore
Kyle Korver
Jeff Teague
Paul Milsap
Al Horford

You hold it against him that he only made that series go 6 games?

You have a lot of takes. This is certainly one of them.

Not to nitpick but Isaiah was a midseason addition the first playoff year, though he did come off the bench. He had a full season under his belt when we lost to the Hawks.  Then his nuclear season last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if some other coaches grumble about Stevens' growing rep, but it's not for getting swept with a team that had no business making the playoffs to begin with.  He's overachieved every single year, including this one - even our one bad year we probably should've been worse. 

Literally all he hasn't done as a coach is like win 60 games, be competitive in an ECF, get to Finals, win ring.  That's a pretty darn short list for a guy in his 5th year who started with one of the worst rosters in the league and has dealt with as much roster turnover than probably any coach in history.

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Obviously whiny and petty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of coaches actually felt that way.  Brad definitely has risen the respect ranks very quickly and without much real playoff success (even with the 2 wins this year, he is just 13-17 in the playoffs and has never finished a playoff run above .500).

They shouldn't have even made the playoffs 4 years ago yet they did, and 3 years ago lost Bradley in Game 1 in that ATL series (which they then lost in 6 games w/o him). I mean come on, give him a break.. and what do you mean "finished a playoff run above .500"? So what's more important, that statistic or a team making a conference final appearance? I'd say the latter sticks more.

So by your logic I guess we should just put Tyronn Lue up on Mt. Rushmore.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Literally all he hasn't done as a coach is like win 60 games, be competitive in an ECF, get to Finals, win ring.  That's a pretty darn short list for a guy in his 5th year who started with one of the worst rosters in the league and has dealt with as much roster turnover than probably any coach in history.
I will maintain to my dying day when they carve his face onto Mt Rushmore that his greatest accomplishment wasn't 12 straight titles, 4 presidential terms, or defeating the Balrog that broke through the floor of the Las Vegas ThunderDome in 2025. No Brad's greatest accomplishment was getting Evan Freaking Turner PAID so much [dang] money.

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 05:02:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I will maintain to my dying day when they carve his face onto Mt Rushmore that his greatest accomplishment wasn't 12 straight titles, 4 presidential terms, or defeating the Balrog that broke through the floor of the Las Vegas ThunderDome in 2025. No Brad's greatest accomplishment was getting Evan Freaking Turner PAID so much [dang] money.

Was just talking about that with a buddy last night - from $6 million over 2 years as a last-chance, nearly out of the league deal, to $70 million over 4.  Brad deserves an agent's commission for that. 

The other insane accomplishment was more short-term, but getting Jordan freaking Crawford to win a Player of the Week is pretty amazing too. And he even got Sully one the same year!  TWO players of the week, both out of the league within 3 years, for a 25 win team.  Nuts.

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

They shouldn't have even made the playoffs 4 years ago yet they did, and 3 years ago lost Bradley in Game 1 in that ATL series (which they then lost in 6 games w/o him). I mean come on, give him a break.. and what do you mean "finished a playoff run above .500"? So what's more important, that statistic or a team making a conference final appearance? I'd say the latter sticks more.

So by your logic I guess we should just put Tyronn Lue up on Mt. Rushmore.

yea this is what i said but with those playoff rosters. That was insane

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 05:30:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Phil Jackson is my bet.

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
This anonymous coach is retarded.

If anything Stevens isn't getting ENOUGH credit or push for Coach of the Year honors.

No team has had to deal with more injuries at VARIOUS parts of the year than the Celtics and to say we have a lot of talent is the worst excuse ever.

Even with Kyrie and Hayward we aren't as top heavy as say the Rockets, OKC, or even Toronto and the Cavs.

What we do have is a bunch of very good players who are coached excellently and play TOGETHER and for ONE ANOTHER and that's what a TRUE team is suppose to do.

Our guys don't quit and play till the very end.

Stevens sets up each player to be their most effective within the team construct and he deserves a lot of credit....knowing when to bring the Zone Defense and playing the right guys off the bench etc.

Sad part is this year they will give the award to that Rocket's coach who was horrible in NY and basically needs a gimmick offense to win in the regular season.

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Here’s some of what the anonymous coach said, via Arnovitz’s paraphrasing: “There are a lot of guys in our league doing a lot with limitations. How did Brad end up on the Mt. Rushmore of NBA coaches?” the coach asked. “I mean look, he’s done nicely, but last year you could argue he got outcoached by (Chicago Bulls head coach) Fred Hoiberg, coached by (Washington Wizards head coach) Scott Brooks to a draw, and then the (LeBron James) freight train or whatever. Yes, he started, they had to rebuild that process and he built a culture, and yes, it’s been nice. “But OK, each year they add — Oh, hey, here’s the best playmaking two-way big man in the league in Al Horford. Oh, here’s a steady stream of top-three picks. Guess what we have for you this year? (Gordon Hayward) went down? It’s OK, because you have the best shot-making point guard in the league (Kyrie Irving).”

But wait, there’s more. “The hagiography, deification of the holy Brad Stevens, can we just wait for a second?” Arnovitz said, paraphrasing the anonymous coach. “‘Can he just win more than one conference finals game? He’s got a lot of talent. He’s done well. We all respect him. We all steal from him, and everybody steals from everybody. Can you guys (the media) just cool it?”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/04/anonymous-nba-is-coach-sick-of-all-the-hype-for-celtics-brad-stevens/

Thoughts? I think I'm calling BS as I can't see another NBA coach doing this they seem like a brotherhood. However if this is a true conversation he has with an NBA coach who's your guess?

Sounds like a Doc thing to say to me. He loves throwing people under the bus  ;D

Doc does not know what hagiography means.

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not gonna lie... I had to google "hagiography"

8 years of Catholic schooling too.   :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 06:12:56 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I dont think the guy is wrong, BS does probably get a little more hype than he deserves. Doesnt mean hes not the best coach or top 3 or 5 or whatever, but he should probably prove it by winning something before we give it to him.

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 06:38:27 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Actually seeing the alleged coach may provide the answer as to why this was said.

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Just listened to the Lowe Post where this was said,

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=23116874 (starts a little after the 55 minute mark for anyone who wants to actually hear it).

I don't think it was a head coach.  Arnovitz said, "I had a really interesting conversation with a member of a coaching staff that I respect immensely..." (and to me personally I thought Arnovitz was saying he respected the coaching staff immensely, not necessarily this member of the staff he was actually speaking with, but that's open to interpretation).  Anyway, if it was a head coach, I think Arnovitz would have just "coach" or "head coach" not "member of a coaching staff."

Considering how many assistants there are out there who have been grinding for years, and have yet to even sniff a head coaching job, and are maybe 5, 10, 15 years older than Stevens, let's just say I can see the possibility for a lot of sour grapes. 

But actually, after actually listening to Arnovitz say it, I don't even think it sounded that much like sour grapes, more like "I think Stevens is great, but people are talking about him like he's already the greatest coach of all time, let's reel it in a little here."  Similar to a possible sentiment like "Tatum is great, but some people act like he's going to be the greatest Celtic of all time, let's see him accomplish a little more before we put up his statue outside the Garden."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:52:06 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 06:58:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
could be any nunmber of LOSER guys .....all the REAL coachs respect CBS alot as well as GM

SOUR GRAPES ... ::)

Ill go with Kidd .....somebody who can't keep a job or coach worth a [dang]   Maybe anyone of the Kings dozen coaches or Nuggets or Suns coaches.   or a 100 different assistant coaches that are stuck in a dung hole like Cleveland organization.   Even the head coach of Bucks looks like whiner.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:03:22 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
They said the same of Larry Brown when he took a band of no names in Detroit to Two straight NBA Finals winning 1 ring....

#### this Guy! And the horse he rode in on.........

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Here’s some of what the anonymous coach said, via Arnovitz’s paraphrasing: “There are a lot of guys in our league doing a lot with limitations. How did Brad end up on the Mt. Rushmore of NBA coaches?” the coach asked. “I mean look, he’s done nicely, but last year you could argue he got outcoached by (Chicago Bulls head coach) Fred Hoiberg, coached by (Washington Wizards head coach) Scott Brooks to a draw, and then the (LeBron James) freight train or whatever. Yes, he started, they had to rebuild that process and he built a culture, and yes, it’s been nice. “But OK, each year they add — Oh, hey, here’s the best playmaking two-way big man in the league in Al Horford. Oh, here’s a steady stream of top-three picks. Guess what we have for you this year? (Gordon Hayward) went down? It’s OK, because you have the best shot-making point guard in the league (Kyrie Irving).”

But wait, there’s more. “The hagiography, deification of the holy Brad Stevens, can we just wait for a second?” Arnovitz said, paraphrasing the anonymous coach. “‘Can he just win more than one conference finals game? He’s got a lot of talent. He’s done well. We all respect him. We all steal from him, and everybody steals from everybody. Can you guys (the media) just cool it?”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/04/anonymous-nba-is-coach-sick-of-all-the-hype-for-celtics-brad-stevens/

Thoughts? I think I'm calling BS as I can't see another NBA coach doing this they seem like a brotherhood. However if this is a true conversation he has with an NBA coach who's your guess?

Sounds like a Doc thing to say to me. He loves throwing people under the bus  ;D

Doc does not know what hagiography means.

I was getting ready to do a deep forensic dive to figure out who it was (why I proposed Mark Jackson earlier in the thread), but then I realized it was Arnovitz paraphrasing on a podcast, not a print quote. So the exact terminology could have come from Arnovitz.