Author Topic: Giannis inability to hit the jump shot will unable him to reach elite status  (Read 7608 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Agreed -- this whole MVP candidate talk is majorly premature. Giannis' inability to shoot is a major factor in Milwaukee's lack of organization and effectiveness in team offense. Too scattered. The team is always trying to make up for his offensive limitations.

Couldnt have said it better

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Giannis is the 4th best player in the NBA (IMO) behind only James, Curry, and Durant.  I'd listen to arguments on Harden, Davis, Westbrook, and a healthy Leonard, but that is it. 

In the 2 playoff games, Giannis is averaging 32.5/11/7.5 with 2 steals and is shooting 63.2% from the field.  There isn't a whole lot more he can do, the Bucks just aren't a very well constructed team and Joe Prunty is in way over his head.

His numbers are great but when I watch the Bucks I just don't feel like Giannis is having a positive effect on his teammates the way LeBron and Ben Simmons do, or the way Nikola Jokic does, for example.

A lot of that is the fault of the Bucks having a crappy system on both ends of the floor.  But I do think that people get a little bit carried away praising Giannis for having a great "feel" for the game.  He's an amazing athlete who has developed a lot of skill for basketball in a relatively short time, but I don't think he sees the game the way some of the elite playmakers do.  He's a guy who's focused on getting to the basket, again and again.  There's a lot of value in that, but he's not dominating the game the way a player with his size and skillset could, jumper or no jumper.

I think the cliche is that great players make their teammates better.

I don't see that with Giannis at all.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Giannis is the 4th best player in the NBA (IMO) behind only James, Curry, and Durant.  I'd listen to arguments on Harden, Davis, Westbrook, and a healthy Leonard, but that is it. 

In the 2 playoff games, Giannis is averaging 32.5/11/7.5 with 2 steals and is shooting 63.2% from the field.  There isn't a whole lot more he can do, the Bucks just aren't a very well constructed team and Joe Prunty is in way over his head.

His numbers are great but when I watch the Bucks I just don't feel like Giannis is having a positive effect on his teammates the way LeBron and Ben Simmons do, or the way Nikola Jokic does, for example.

A lot of that is the fault of the Bucks having a crappy system on both ends of the floor.  But I do think that people get a little bit carried away praising Giannis for having a great "feel" for the game.  He's an amazing athlete who has developed a lot of skill for basketball in a relatively short time, but I don't think he sees the game the way some of the elite playmakers do.  He's a guy who's focused on getting to the basket, again and again.  There's a lot of value in that, but he's not dominating the game the way a player with his size and skillset could, jumper or no jumper.

I think the cliche is that great players make their teammates better.

I don't see that with Giannis at all.

Another way to put, I think, is that great players take control of the game.

I see a lot of Giannis attacking the rim and finding ways to get points, but I don't see him controlling the game.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

One of the scary things I've noticed about Giannis this series is that he's still a bit clumsy out there at times - some awkward footwork, getting a bit off-balance when he doesn't need to, sloppy passes, etc.  And he's STILL the most dominant force on the court.

I think there's no question that barring injury Giannis will be a much better player 4-5 years from now than he is today, and that's mostly from mental growth and experience.  That's definitely a scary prospect.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I sincerely believe this.  The guy just can't shoot. Terrible 3 point shooter

This said he is still an all star at the NBA level. No question.  But I laugh at some analyst/experts who state he is one of the likely players to take over Lebron, KD status once they retire

I doubt it.  He is a tall SF that can't shoot.  How many forwards that can't shoot actually end up becoming a great player?

As well not sure what has happened to his passing skills (pre draft).

Would be a good 2nd option on a team trying to to win a championship

To answer your question; the first two to come to mind are Garnett and Duncan.

What?  Garnett and Duncan could not shoot?  What league did you watch?

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Agreed -- this whole MVP candidate talk is majorly premature. Giannis' inability to shoot is a major factor in Milwaukee's lack of organization and effectiveness in team offense. Too scattered. The team is always trying to make up for his offensive limitations. The team's whole offense frequently stalls while it tries to make space for him. To give him extra time on the ball that he needs in order to find a way to attack because defense is dropping so far off of him.
And yet the Sixers are doing just fine with Simmons.  Westbrook is a pretty darn poor shooter, OKC has been just fine with him leading the way. 

The problem isn't Giannis, it is the players surrounding Giannis.  Once they lost Teletovic and Dellavedova, their shooting decreased significantly and that greatly affected them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
isn't this the same critique on LeBron a very long time ago? I think Giannis and Simmons will improve their jumper in the long term

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Agreed -- this whole MVP candidate talk is majorly premature. Giannis' inability to shoot is a major factor in Milwaukee's lack of organization and effectiveness in team offense. Too scattered. The team is always trying to make up for his offensive limitations. The team's whole offense frequently stalls while it tries to make space for him. To give him extra time on the ball that he needs in order to find a way to attack because defense is dropping so far off of him.
And yet the Sixers are doing just fine with Simmons.  Westbrook is a pretty darn poor shooter, OKC has been just fine with him leading the way. 

The problem isn't Giannis, it is the players surrounding Giannis.  Once they lost Teletovic and Dellavedova, their shooting decreased significantly and that greatly affected them.

really Teletovic?

Dellavedova is still with the team btw

Giannis currently has tunnel vision ... there are spurts he takes charge and drives at will then there are times he just defers everything

his ability to "read" the game is not there yet.  And like another poster stated, if he could shoot, it would help open up for other players/system look smoother

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he is an elite player folks but this is a flaw in his game.  He looks lost once the drive to the bucket is taken away you can even see him hesitate in games when this happens.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
isn't this the same critique on LeBron a very long time ago? I think Giannis and Simmons will improve their jumper in the long term

LeBron has had great court vision and feel for the game, elevation of teammates etc since day 1, though. 

Simmons looks to be in the same vein as LeBron in that regard. 

Giannis has some more work to do in order to impact the game with the ball in his hands the way those guys do.

To be fair to Giannis, he's made an ENORMOUS leap the last couple years improving his handle enough to the point that he can basically get a shot within 10 feet whenever he wants, which has turned him into an elite scorer.  I'm sure that improvement as a playmaker / floor general will come in time.
- Mark Twain

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

really Teletovic?

Dellavedova is still with the team btw

Giannis currently has tunnel vision ... there are spurts he takes charge and drives at will then there are times he just defers everything

his ability to "read" the game is not there yet.  And like another poster stated, if he could shoot, it would help open up for other players/system look smoother
Teletovic was shooting 46.7% from 3 on like 4.5 attempts a game. When he got hurt it really affected their spacing.  Delly also got hurt and has only played 10 minutes in 1 game in more than 2 months.  They basically replaced him in the rotation with Jason Terry who is a much worse outside shooter. Again affecting their spacing.  With Henson, Giannis, and Maker all being poor outside shooters they need the spacing and they just don't have it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yesterday...perfect example

Semi couldn't have played defense against him better

All Giannis had to do is shoot over Semi yesterday(who he has 5 inches in height adv and 7 inches in wingspan adv)

Giannis and Simmons will never be elite unless they have a jump shot (even if its streaky like Lebrons) that can be relied upon

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
LeBUM was the same - but eventually became good.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It's obviously on Giannis to put in the work.  Usually most Superstars begin their prime years around the age of 27.  That's plenty of time for him to develop a competent jump shot.  Even 35% on open threes would completely open up his game.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
LeBUM was the same - but eventually became good.

Kind of. Their splits are actually quite different from their first 5 years in the league. 82% of James' shots were 2s, but with Giannis, 88% of his shots are 2s. James' shot percentage from 16 feet to the 3 point line was 37%, and they accounted for 24% of his shots. For Giannis, his shooting percentage was 35%, but they only accounted for 15% of his shots. 19% of James shots were 3s and he made 32% of them. For Giannis, only 12% of his shots are 3s, and he is only making 28% of them.

Not only did James shoot more outside shots than Giannis does right now, but he also made a higher percentage.

Then there is the eye test that shows that Giannis's outside shot looks awkward, uncomfortable, and even somewhat inconsistent.

Giannis is a great player, and his percentages may rise somewhat, but his outside shooting may never be consistent. Still, he has the physical tools and feel to dominate the game on the inside.  That would be where I think he should focus his development. His FG% could get north of 60% when he is fully developed and has shooters around him. On top of that, he could average 28-10-8 a game.