Author Topic: Giannis inability to hit the jump shot will unable him to reach elite status  (Read 7603 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He is good enough to be elite IMO

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is good enough to be elite IMO

;D

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Giannis is the 4th best player in the NBA (IMO) behind only James, Curry, and Durant.  I'd listen to arguments on Harden, Davis, Westbrook, and a healthy Leonard, but that is it. 

In the 2 playoff games, Giannis is averaging 32.5/11/7.5 with 2 steals and is shooting 63.2% from the field.  There isn't a whole lot more he can do, the Bucks just aren't a very well constructed team and Joe Prunty is in way over his head.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Giannis is the 4th best player in the NBA (IMO) behind only James, Curry, and Durant.  I'd listen to arguments on Harden, Davis, Westbrook, and a healthy Leonard, but that is it. 

In the 2 playoff games, Giannis is averaging 32.5/11/7.5 with 2 steals and is shooting 63.2% from the field.  There isn't a whole lot more he can do, the Bucks just aren't a very well constructed team and Joe Prunty is in way over his head.

He is not better than Harden, Davis, Westbrook and a healthy Leonard. Not even better than Derozan (with a jump shot now)

Come on now

I place Giannis in a similar tier to Lillard, Wall

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

His numbers are great but when I watch the Bucks I just don't feel like Giannis is having a positive effect on his teammates the way LeBron and Ben Simmons do, or the way Nikola Jokic does, for example.

A lot of that is the fault of the Bucks having a crappy system on both ends of the floor.  But I do think that people get a little bit carried away praising Giannis for having a great "feel" for the game.  He's an amazing athlete who has developed a lot of skill for basketball in a relatively short time, but I don't think he sees the game the way some of the elite playmakers do.  He's a guy who's focused on getting to the basket, again and again.  There's a lot of value in that, but he's not dominating the game the way a player with his size and skillset could, jumper or no jumper.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

His numbers are great but when I watch the Bucks I just don't feel like Giannis is having a positive effect on his teammates the way LeBron and Ben Simmons do, or the way Nikola Jokic does, for example.

A lot of that is the fault of the Bucks having a crappy system on both ends of the floor.  But I do think that people get a little bit carried away praising Giannis for having a great "feel" for the game.  He's an amazing athlete who has developed a lot of skill for basketball in a relatively short time, but I don't think he sees the game the way some of the elite playmakers do.  He's a guy who's focused on getting to the basket, again and again.  There's a lot of value in that, but he's not dominating the game the way a player with his size and skillset could, jumper or no jumper.

Good good points

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, I see some of that. He often looks like he can get anything he wants, but the team doesn't seem to be able to feed off of this. I'd chalk this down to part inexperience, part questionable coaching.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Giannis is the 4th best player in the NBA (IMO) behind only James, Curry, and Duyrant.  I'd listen to arguments on Harden, Davis, Westbrook, and a healthy Leonard, but that is it. 

He is not better than Harden, Davis, Westbrook and a healthy Leonard. Not even better than Derozan (with a jump shot now)

Come on now

He’s better than Westbrook and Derozan.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Giannis is the 4th best player in the NBA (IMO) behind only James, Curry, and Duyrant.  I'd listen to arguments on Harden, Davis, Westbrook, and a healthy Leonard, but that is it. 

Come on now

He’s better than Westbrook and Derozan.

We can agree to disagree

but I would take Westbrook or Derozan ahead of the greekman

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I always thought Giannis was overrated.

I still feel like we should sag off him even more than we do when he get the call behind the arc. Too often is he getting the ball around the free throw line and that’s just too deep.

I just don’t think he could ever be the leader of a contender.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I just hope we eventually will agree on how far the free throw line is from the hoop.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I just hope we eventually will agree on how far the free throw line is from the hoop.

I do agree but he needs to comfortably be able to make 17 + foot jump shots to take his game to the next level

Plus like a few guys already stated he doesnt make others on the team better. 

Both of these things may come with more experience. Shooting im less optimistic of

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

One of the scary things I've noticed about Giannis this series is that he's still a bit clumsy out there at times - some awkward footwork, getting a bit off-balance when he doesn't need to, sloppy passes, etc.  And he's STILL the most dominant force on the court.

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Imagine if Giannis had Reddick, Illyasova, and Bellinelli around him like Simmons does.

Bledsoe, regardless of stats, is not a good shooter. Neither is Snell. Obviously Henson isn't great either.

It's one of the reasons why Jason Terry is still getting minutes at the age of 63.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Agreed -- this whole MVP candidate talk is majorly premature. Giannis' inability to shoot is a major factor in Milwaukee's lack of organization and effectiveness in team offense. Too scattered. The team is always trying to make up for his offensive limitations. The team's whole offense frequently stalls while it tries to make space for him. To give him extra time on the ball that he needs in order to find a way to attack because defense is dropping so far off of him.