Author Topic: A Few Inflamatory Thoughts from Our First Playoff Game in 2018  (Read 5051 times)

Re: A Few Inflamatory Thoughts from Our First Playoff Game in 2018
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I have been one of Morris' biggest critics, but he has transformed his game and his body since the beginning of the season. He looks like a different player.

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
5. I like All Horford.

Ha.  :D

I have been one of Morris' biggest critics, but he has transformed his game and his body since the beginning of the season. He looks like a different player.

Let's trade for Markieff too!  :P

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Morris got off to a bad start due to injuries, once he got healthy he was able to contribute on both ends. This seems to me like another example of Brad putting a player in the right situation to succeed. Morris plays good defense and is able to create his own shot. He is fearless. He does not always make the best decisions, he often takes bad shots, and is not as efficient as you would like. So Brad has usually put him in spots where they need him to be the main guy on offense, encouraged him to look for his shot, and in return Morris has bought into what Brad is teaching and has become a better player as a result.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 06:10:27 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
To quote Bill Simmons:

A great and ridiculous Celts win. Game 2 is gonna be tough with NBA giving Giannis unlimited traveling and 12 fouls per game for the playoffs, but I’m still optimistic!!!

Not always in agreement with Bill from Boston, but 100% here!!!

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
To quote Bill Simmons:

A great and ridiculous Celts win. Game 2 is gonna be tough with NBA giving Giannis unlimited traveling and 12 fouls per game for the playoffs, but I’m still optimistic!!!

Not always in agreement with Bill from Boston, but 100% here!!!

Awesome quote.

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
In response to your response.

1. Bradley is better than he's shown this year, but we still won that trade.

2. Don't confuse results with the process. We are better equipped for the playoffs, but that doesn't necessarily mean the results will be as good.

3. He didn't lose the battle against a fringe All-star. He dominated it.

4. Box scores don't tell the whole story. He made winning plays, and impacted the outcome.

5. I love Al Horford more.
1. Agreed.

2. The East is stronger this year and we have a slightly tougher path. I also think that our current roster is closer to last years squad than I would have expected it to be had you told me Hayward and Irving would be out. That said, I still think last years playoff team was better, at least until Smart returns.

3. Who? Eric Bledsoe isn't really a fringe all-star. He's a solid starter. That's all.

4. Tatum made some nice plays but it was far from his best game. He missed a lot of makeable shots and made a bunch of rookie mistake turnovers.

5. I'll cede you probably love Al more, but he's such a great player. He can do it all.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Our two best players are hurt. Our 6th man is hurt. The four best players playing on the Cs right now are a rookie wing, a 2nd year SG, a 3rd year PG and Al Horford and we should win this series. Think about that.

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Al Horford in a playoff series can provide you as much value as any big man not named Anthony Davis.  He deserves more credit for how good the Hawks were in 2015.

Marcus Morris is proof that a tall swing forward who can create his own shot from anywhere and will work hard and bring an edge on defense has a lot of value even if he's not super efficient and holds onto the ball a bit too much.

Tatum and Brown is a killer wing combo defensively, and I love when they're on the break together.

Tatum is the most naturally gifted, composed, clutch scorer the Celts have drafted since Pierce.

The Celts are still one efficient scoring ballhandler away from being able to make the Finals.
Do you mean like Kyrie Irving? or Gordon Hayward?

or are you factoring their absences in.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don't see anything inflammatory in the OP. If someone wants to be inflammatory at this point, they should write something like ...

The Celtics are in trouble. They had 4 players score 20+ (and another with 19), and were at home, with a great crowd supporting them, and they still almost blew it, still had to go to overtime to win. They couldn't slow Giannis, they let Middleton go off like he was Giannis, and just wait until Bledsoe finds his groove. Bucks are gonna torch Boston.

See? ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Our two best players are hurt. Our 6th man is hurt. The four best players playing on the Cs right now are a rookie wing, a 2nd year SG, a 3rd year PG and Al Horford and we should win this series. Think about that.
COTY and Exec of the Year if you ask me.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I don't see anything inflammatory in the OP. If someone wants to be inflammatory at this point, they should write something like ...

The Celtics are in trouble. They had 4 players score 20+ (and another with 19), and were at home, with a great crowd supporting them, and they still almost blew it, still had to go to overtime to win. They couldn't slow Giannis, they let Middleton go off like he was Giannis, and just wait until Bledsoe finds his groove. Bucks are gonna torch Boston.

See? ;D
It's true that the C's barely survived that game, but its also true that the Bucks haven't played that good very often either. That was a very intense game.

At halftime, Barkley made the point that when you lose your star, "you have to cook your own meals now". The expectation was that these guys weren't ready to create their own opportunities. This wasn't an easy game for Brown, Tatum or Rozier, but all three hung in there and produced under pressure. I'm guessing that as this series plays out, they are going to get more and more confident.

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 08:17:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Al Horford in a playoff series can provide you as much value as any big man not named Anthony Davis.  He deserves more credit for how good the Hawks were in 2015.

Marcus Morris is proof that a tall swing forward who can create his own shot from anywhere and will work hard and bring an edge on defense has a lot of value even if he's not super efficient and holds onto the ball a bit too much.

Tatum and Brown is a killer wing combo defensively, and I love when they're on the break together.

Tatum is the most naturally gifted, composed, clutch scorer the Celts have drafted since Pierce.

The Celts are still one efficient scoring ballhandler away from being able to make the Finals.
Do you mean like Kyrie Irving? or Gordon Hayward?

or are you factoring their absences in.

I'm basically saying Kyrie, but I think the Celts could make a Finals run with, say, CJ McCollum, or Jrue Holiday, or some other not-quite-All-Star like that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
COTY and Exec of the Year if you ask me.

Yeah, is there really any challenge for Exec of the Year? Maybe Morey?

COTY is a bit more competitive, as several coaches did a hell of a job this year, e.g. Snyder, Brown, Casey, etc. But given the context of our injury problems, Brad has to be the favorite after yet again increasing our win count for the fifth straight year.

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Morris got off to a bad start due to injuries, once he got healthy he was able to contribute on both ends. This seems to me like another example of Brad putting a player in the right situation to succeed. Morris plays good defense and is able to create his own shot. He is fearless. He does not always make the best decisions, he often takes bad shots, and is not as efficient as you would like. So Brad has usually put him in spots where they need him to be the main guy on offense, encouraged him to look for his shot, and in return Morris has bought into what Brad is teaching and has become a better player as a result.

As somebody who isnt a huge fan of Morris I gotta admit we need him right now. Normaly im not a fan of guys who se best skill is creating contested mid range shots, but we are so offensively challenge at times that even that is better than 80% of our offense.

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Considering that throughout his career so far Morris has been about 75% of the player he was for us this season, I don't think anyone could have seen this coming. Also, no high hopes about the sustainability of this type of production from him.

This trade was a wash as it happened, and it's still a wash.

I hated the trade when it happened, but have slowly been won over. Morris does not have the highest BBQ, but he brings attitude and toughness ....and while his shot selection is not great, he is absolutely fearless.  He makes so many "no Marcus don't [dang it] .... YESSSSS never mind shots) that he reminds me a lot of the Antoine Walker days.

Hehe ;D.