Author Topic: A Few Inflamatory Thoughts from Our First Playoff Game in 2018  (Read 5049 times)

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
1. We won the Marcus Morris-Avery Bradley trade, and not just because we needed the cap space for the Hayward signing. Morris is a more versatile and tough defender and a much more reliable scorer in the half-court.

2. Our roster, as currently constructed (without Irving, Hayward, Theis, or Smart), is more fit to win in the playoffs than last year's roster. We have more individual scorers that don't rely on CBS system, and we are a much better defensive team.

3. Terry Rozier may not be an all-star in the future, but he has the athleticism and guts to play with any guard in a playoff game.

4. That was the most impressive game I've seen Jayson Tatum play in the NBA. We needed him to score, especially in the 3rd. He scored with fade-aways, up-and-unders, and off-the-dribble-3s. When he made a terrible turnover late in the game, he responded the next time down with a huge block. It may not have been the most impressive statistically, but it was his best game.

5. I like All Horford.

That's all.

Re: A Few Inflamatory Thoughts from Our First Playoff Game in 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1. I always liked the trade. That said, Avery is better than he showed this year;

2. I disagree here. You’re right about the offensive versatility and defense, but last year’s team made the ECF. I don’t think we’ll get that far without Kyrie;

3. He’s not going to back down, although he would lose the battle with most of the All-Star guards;

4. It was definitely his most consequential, and very impressive as a playoff debut.  I disagree it was his best performance, though. Sub-.500 eFG% and 5 turnovers;

5. I love Al Horford.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
In response to your response.

1. Bradley is better than he's shown this year, but we still won that trade.

2. Don't confuse results with the process. We are better equipped for the playoffs, but that doesn't necessarily mean the results will be as good.

3. He didn't lose the battle against a fringe All-star. He dominated it.

4. Box scores don't tell the whole story. He made winning plays, and impacted the outcome.

5. I love Al Horford more.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Considering that throughout his career so far Morris has been about 75% of the player he was for us this season, I don't think anyone could have seen this coming. Also, no high hopes about the sustainability of this type of production from him.

This trade was a wash as it happened, and it's still a wash.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I'm sorry for breaking format...

The Celtics bench is good but, thin.

The Celtics rookies are really good but, young.

Terry Rozier is giving it all he has...and that is all I can say, it isn't pretty, but, I guess behind Horford? He won the game. 

The starters all played 40+...the only point with this is, Bux starters all played 40+ also and Bux bench is thin.

The Bux are not a three point team, except they can hit the occasional three from the scorer's table with no time left.

Not sure of Bux Kryptonite used on Monroe?

Refs aside, the freak must be stopped and Horford seems to be the one...thus far.

Finally, Bux seem to be all over the place...less disciplined...sort of sloppy...

As far as starter's minutes go, Celtics are young except for Al....good matchup here.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:57:11 AM »

Offline mutineer33

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Considering that throughout his career so far Morris has been about 75% of the player he was for us this season, I don't think anyone could have seen this coming. Also, no high hopes about the sustainability of this type of production from him.

This trade was a wash as it happened, and it's still a wash.

I hated the trade when it happened, but have slowly been won over. Morris does not have the highest BBQ, but he brings attitude and toughness ....and while his shot selection is not great, he is absolutely fearless.  He makes so many "no Marcus don't [dang it] .... YESSSSS never mind shots) that he reminds me a lot of the Antoine Walker days.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
In terms of our starters, I agree this team is better equipped for the playoffs than last year's team. Our bench is far worse though, and that will be our downfall.

It's not anyone's fault, as the injuries have lead to most of our bench being starters, but there's just not much left on the bench to use.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:43 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
1. Agreed, always felt highly of the Marcus Morris trade. Bradley, Smart, and Rozier had to much overlap in their skill sets and Morris has brought consistency and shot creation to the front court. Bradley is better than what he'a shown this year but he out priced off the roster when all was said and done.

2. This one's tough to say. Isaiah was playing at a high level last year, Crowder, Bradley and Smart provided solid production at the positions and Kelly and Jaylen were a threat to go off on any given night. I'm not outright dismissing that this team could be better, but I felt more confident and last year's team going into every game.

3. Terry's great, his shot creation is old school and his change of pace is near unstoppable. With him its just the easy bucketsand assists that seperate him from the elite. If he could just add 2 or 3 easy moves that would account for a couple plays extra a game then he'd be Jrue Holiday and that would a great career for him.

4. Incredible game for Tatum, great to see him fight through some adversity. 1 one of the most skilled wings in the league.

5. Huuuuuuge fan of Al Horford. Top 5 Center, capable of matching and at times negating elite matchup's like Giannis, Towns, and Boogie.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
In terms of our starters, I agree this team is better equipped for the playoffs than last year's team. Our bench is far worse though, and that will be our downfall.

It's not anyone's fault, as the injuries have lead to most of our bench being starters, but there's just not much left on the bench to use.
You only want to have an 8-9 man rotation in the playoffs anyhow. The only really weak link on the the bench in my mind is Ojeleye, who has no business getting any sort of minutes on a playoff team.

I think a bench of Morris, Larkin, and Monroe will make do. Having an extra wing/big type would be better, but this is adequate. It's not a strength, but I don't think it's a liability either.

Both Morris and Monroe are probably better than anyone we had coming off the bench last season anyhow.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:50:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Al Horford in a playoff series can provide you as much value as any big man not named Anthony Davis.  He deserves more credit for how good the Hawks were in 2015.

Marcus Morris is proof that a tall swing forward who can create his own shot from anywhere and will work hard and bring an edge on defense has a lot of value even if he's not super efficient and holds onto the ball a bit too much.

Tatum and Brown is a killer wing combo defensively, and I love when they're on the break together.

Tatum is the most naturally gifted, composed, clutch scorer the Celts have drafted since Pierce.

The Celts are still one efficient scoring ballhandler away from being able to make the Finals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have yet to understand the undercurrent of dissatification with Morris, who has been bashed all year long despite that he was not really very healthy.  He has been hugely important for the Celtics and has gotten better and better.  I wasn't expecting a superstar.  Maybe others were? 

loving Tatum and Rozier and Brown. 

Love Horford.

There's simply nothing wrong with this team beyond injuries. 

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
In retrospect, last year’s playoff success appears to be more due to Brad Stevens’ ability to maximize IT than being a better roster. 

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I don't know if this team is better. I'd like to utilize Baynes and Moose more but I realize Milwaukee likes to play small. Punish them inside a bit. Wear them down over the course of the series.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 12:46:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I don't know if this team is better. I'd like to utilize Baynes and Moose more but I realize Milwaukee likes to play small. Punish them inside a bit. Wear them down over the course of the series.
I don't think you'd wear them down much with Baynes, but there's something to be said about letting Moose bang down under.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 12:54:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
1. Morris is erratic but he provides that useful volatile element like Stephen Jackson on the 03 Spurs or JR Smith on the 15+16 Cavs teams. A guy who can get his own shot is a huge asset in the playoffs even if he can be maddeningly inconsistent at times.  I love AB but he was flawed in perhaps more meaningful ways and seems like another testament to Brad getting the most out of his guys.

2. Maybe at the top but our lack of depth is not sustainable for long. We essentially had 5 guys do all the scoring - if 2 of them can't get it done some nights it's going to be a huge struggle and we can't count on Moose/Larkin to make up for it.  When we get Smart back it'll help a little bit - he can contribute some points on occasion even though he's even more inconsistent with a lower floor than Morris.

3. I love Terry's confidence and his developing game. Still think he's a guy you'd rather have as a sparkplug off the bench that can be sat when he doesn't have it rather than a guy we need to lean on every night. We'll see some stinkers from him before this is over, I expect.

4. This run, however it ends, is going to be great experience for Tatum (and Brown). He's going to be a monster scorer in 1-2 years; he's already showing flashes of it now. Needs to tighten up his passing though, he sailed a couple out of bounds in some important moments.

5. Agree. The dumping on Al really needs to stop, he's our rock and the most important player out there. We can't count on him to get 24 every night but he's an elite glue guy, which is probably the most underrated type of player in the league.

Basically we've got a good team out there even in spite of the injuries, but everyone's at least 1-2 spots higher in the overall rotation than they'd ideally be. It'll catch up to us sooner or later. Let's hope it's later.