Author Topic: Why can't people figure out how to stop a 1-dimensional player who ..........  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Giannis is not very skilled on offense in terms of shooting but he does not have to be as he has elite length and athletic ability.  The term freak suits him very well.   I just hope we try to limit his drives and make him beat us with the jump shot.   He is a league favorite so he gets away with tons of travels and get calls when he misses to subsidize his scoring.

He is very talented but its due to his size and length and not super skills though he does have a good handle.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:01:07 AM by Celtics4ever »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Its funny so many of you attack me for calling him "1 dimensional" and tell me how great he is.  I didn't say he wasn't great.  He is great.  At one thing - driving to the basket.  I still contend, if Brad and the team cannot stop a 1-dimensional drive to the basket only player then they deserve to lose.  And the same is true for the rest of the NBA.

Granted, LeBUM isn't like this anymore but his 1st 5 years or so, that's all he was, too.

I recall Giannis made 1 - 5 ft shot Sunday.  Everything else was closer and free throws.  Ridiculous.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Its funny so many of you attack me for calling him "1 dimensional" and tell me how great he is.  I didn't say he wasn't great.  He is great.  At one thing - driving to the basket.  I still contend, if Brad and the team cannot stop a 1-dimensional drive to the basket only player then they deserve to lose.  And the same is true for the rest of the NBA.

Granted, LeBUM isn't like this anymore but his 1st 5 years or so, that's all he was, too.

I recall Giannis made 1 - 5 ft shot Sunday.  Everything else was closer and free throws.  Ridiculous.

He’s not one-dimensional. He’s not a good shooter; but his game is multi-faceted. He scores, passes, rebounds and defends. He can score off the dribble, but also on post ups, pick and roll, and the occasional jumper.

In Game 1, he scored 9 out of his 11 FGs at the rim. That’s not his only skill though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
People are absolutely nuts with their extreme opinions.  Sometimes it feels like we are participating in a "hot take" talk show.  Do the officials give Giannis some liberties? Absolutely.  Did the officials blow some important calls in game 1.  Absolutely.  Does he travel every single time?  Absolutely not.

Giannis has plenty of deficiencies in his game but his development is amazing for someone who picked up the game only a few years ago.  I certainly hope that all of this complaining comes from a place of intense fandom for the Celtics.  Giannis is a great story in general for the NBA.  By all accounts he has insane work ethic.  Imagine the player he will be at 27 years old.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
People are absolutely nuts with their extreme opinions.  Sometimes it feels like we are participating in a "hot take" talk show.  Do the officials give Giannis some liberties? Absolutely.  Did the officials blow some important calls in game 1.  Absolutely.  Does he travel every single time?  Absolutely not.

Giannis has plenty of deficiencies in his game but his development is amazing for someone who picked up the game only a few years ago.  I certainly hope that all of this complaining comes from a place of intense fandom for the Celtics.  Giannis is a great story in general for the NBA.  By all accounts he has insane work ethic.  Imagine the player he will be at 27 years old.

People like to target the big, flashy player and try to knock him down. It says more about those people than Giannis, Shaq, or "Lebum".

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

You aren't listening. He is an elite ball handler and passer. He is getting double teamed all the time, and he makes great decisions about exactly when to pass. He had 7 assists Sunday. We could just stop him, but their offense is set up so that you have to cheat off Middleton and Brogdon to do it, and he makes the right play when you take his drives away.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He’s not a good shooter; but his game is multi-faceted. He scores, passes, rebounds and defends. He can score off the dribble, but also on post ups, pick and roll, and the occasional jumper.

Most of this is due to athletic ability and his size not elite moves or skills.  That being said he can overpower most people on his shear ability which to me is even more amazing that trying to hype up skills he does not possess to a high degree.