Author Topic: The key to Brown's growth with Celtics? He points to Stevens  (Read 956 times)

Re: The key to Brown's growth with Celtics? He points to Stevens
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:38:28 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
This is the exact reason why Stevens is one of the most valuable commodities in the NBA.  People like to argue that talent greatly outweighs coaching in the NBA, which I agree with for the most part.  This doesn't mean that their can't be exceptions to that rule.  Stevens' ability to develop players gives Ainge significant flexibility when it comes to drafting young talent.

Jaylen deserves credit for his determination but do we think he would have found the same level of success on a team like the Phoenix Suns?  His thirst for knowledge probably would have gone unfulfilled.  I'm sure he would have been a very good player regardless but Brad provides a massive edge when it comes to ability to impact winning.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I think Brown and Stevens have the same mentality and it makes that pairing very easy. I'm curious how well Stevens could coach up a meat head. Brown is intelligently mature for his age and I'm confident that makes a huge difference.

Weird how a 20 year old understands what it takes to be the best at their profession (took me to age 35 thankfully my profession doesn't require my body  :laugh: )
ok fine

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:02:15 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Here's the thing. As with Booker and Wiggins, Brown would probably have more bloated stats, but would have been learning bad habits, like:

Forcing the issue instead of making the right basketball play.
Shooting too many mid-range shots
Not chasing guys over screens
Not rotating on defense correctly
Not spacing the floor correctly for teammates

What Stevens is doing is not visible in the box score. In fact, Brown's stats would be better on a worse team. What Stevens is doing is preparing Brown to be a force in the playoffs against the best players.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think this speaks as much to Jaylen's character as it does Brad's coaching.  They're both special.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:43:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think this speaks as much to Jaylen's character as it does Brad's coaching.  They're both special.

Agree. TP

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Jaylen deserves credit for his determination but do we think he would have found the same level of success on a team like the Phoenix Suns?  ...
Somewhere, Josh Jackson is sleeping in a homemade bed, watching the playoffs, lol.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Jaylen deserves credit for his determination but do we think he would have found the same level of success on a team like the Phoenix Suns?  ...
Somewhere, Josh Jackson is sleeping in a homemade bed, watching the playoffs, lol.

Would Jaylen have developed the exact same way? No, obviously not. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't still be good. Maybe he gets the chance to have the ball in his hands more. Maybe his set shot isnt as good as it is now but he  has more experience in the pick and roll. Plenty of players have developed well in dysfunctional atmospheres. Brad obviously has a big role, but I still give most of the credit to the player.