Author Topic: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.  (Read 36979 times)

Re: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2018, 10:31:03 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Not convinced they needed to be so, so bad as to not even have hardly any veterans at all during some of  those years. Makes everything harder for anyone to learn when everyone is screwing up at once. And maybe they could have still lost in a more respectable way.

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2018, 12:46:47 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Not convinced they needed to be so, so bad as to not even have hardly any veterans at all during some of  those years. Makes everything harder for anyone to learn when everyone is screwing up at once. And maybe they could have still lost in a more respectable way.

This.

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2018, 12:52:01 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I mean imagine if they drafted Tatum instead of Fultz.

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

Plus they would still get upcoming picks smdh

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2018, 01:39:35 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

That would have been really sly of them, if they pretended like they wanted Fultz only to draft Tatum #1. We probably would have thought we killed that trade at the time, only to be regretting it now.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2018, 01:44:45 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

That would have been really sly of them, if they pretended like they wanted Fultz only to draft Tatum #1. We probably would have thought we killed that trade at the time, only to be regretting it now.
Ainge would've then flipped #3 (Ball or Fultz) to Phoenix for (#4) Josh Jackson and their #1 from this year (unprotected)!   ;)

« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2018, 03:46:40 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
contending

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2018, 04:22:58 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I always thought that he was great at his job.
Colangelo supplanted him, but IMO he is less lucid and creative official, he is not bending the rules to the limit as SH did. Some liked that rule bending, some despised it (NBA). Colangelo (his father is a part of the NBA family) just kind of goes with the natural flow. His best moves are the natural continuation of Hinkies work (2013-2016). Embiid (resign the All NBA guy), Simmons (draft a clear 1st pick), Covington (resign), Šarić (still on that fab rookie deal), TJ (as Ro.Co. he signed a 4 year "Hinkie special" and is still there) all of their best core players were here before him. He hired Brown too. They can even draft 1st this year (while having 50 wins) since Hinkie sold MCW at a ridiculously high price. MCW might be out of the league next year and he is healthy.

If I am a rebuilding team, there are at least 8 of those right now, I would call him.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:59:43 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Didn't Hinkie lose a ton of games, as well as drafting Nerlens Noel, MCW, and Jahlil Okafor?

What a genius.

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I always thought that he was great at his job.
Colangelo supplanted him, but IMO he is less lucid and creative official, he is not bending the rules to the limit as SH did. Some liked that rule bending, some despised it (NBA). Colangelo (his father is a part of the NBA family) just kind of goes with the natural flow. His best moves are the natural continuation of Hinkies work (2013-2016). Embiid (resign the All NBA guy), Simmons (draft a clear 1st pick), Covington (resign), Šarić (still on that fab rookie deal), TJ (as Ro.Co. he signed a 4 year "Hinkie special" and is still there) all of their best core players were here before him. He hired Brown too. They can even draft 1st this year (while having 50 wins) since Hinkie sold MCW at a ridiculously high price. MCW might be out of the league next year and he is healthy.

If I am a rebuilding team, there are at least 8 of those right now, I would call him.

Did he?

It's not that hard to purposely lose. You sit or trade your best players and pick best available. They didn't make large decisions in the drafts. Simmons fell info their lap and even if Embiid wasn't able to play that fits into their strategy. The rest of their picks were trash.

Regarding MCW you can believe that Hinkle had the foresight but in reality he was most likely deferring the pick for tanking purposes. It turns out at the end of the day he will  have sold the 11 pick for 10 most likely. Not exactly Ainge level moves.

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

Well Tatum also fits their team better. Why draft Fultz when Simmons is your point? They have no legit SF (sorry Covington is massively overrated).

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

That would never happen.  Ainge wanted Tatum and would never have agreed to the deal if Colangelo wasn't committed to taking Fultz.  If Colangelo had lied about it, he'd be done as a GM.  No one would trust him. 

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

That would never happen.  Ainge wanted Tatum and would never have agreed to the deal if Colangelo wasn't committed to taking Fultz.  If Colangelo had lied about it, he'd be done as a GM.  No one would trust him.
except Colangelo had no reason to tell Ainge who he would draft and almost certainly did not. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2018, 09:36:19 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

except Colangelo had no reason to tell Ainge who he would draft and almost certainly did not.

if this is true, would this have to be in writing somehow? like, we will deal #1 for your #3 as long as Philly HAVE to take Fultz with the #1 and hope LA takes Ball at 2?

I feel deals like this usually have to have some sort of agreement between the two parties right?

« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

if this is true, would this have to be in writing somehow? like, we will deal #1 for your #3 as long as Philly HAVE to take Fultz with the #1 and hope LA takes Ball at 2?

I feel deals like this usually have to have some sort of agreement between the two parties right?
Not at all.  There is absolutely no reason for Philly to tell Boston who they are going to draft.  None at all.  Now I'm sure Ainge felt pretty confident that Philly was going to take Fultz, but there is no way Colangelo would tell Ainge that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2018, 09:44:11 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

Sure he did.  Colangelo wanted to get the deal done.  Ainge wouldn't have traded down a couple spots unless he knew Tatum would still be available.   Remember the rushed Sixers workout of Fultz. 

« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

Sure he did.  Colangelo wanted to get the deal done.  Ainge wouldn't have traded down a couple spots unless he knew Tatum would still be available.   Remember the rushed Sixers workout of Fultz.

I agree. I don't think it was a big risk for Colangelo to tell Danny that they wanted Fultz, considering IT just came off a huge year. At that time, many GMs would have been right to assume that IT would be with the Celtics for the foreseeable future. Tatum was certainly more of a need than Fultz for the Celtics.

Interestingly now, Tatum would be a better fit for Philly, unless Fultz becomes a Klay Thompson type shooter that doesn't need the ball in his hands. I'm guessing Ben Simmons is their PG for the future.