Author Topic: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.  (Read 36966 times)

Re: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 08:22:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Would still take the rebuild Ainge did to that of Hinkie. Right now have better team. Have stars with playoff experience. Have 2 stud young guys who are great 2 way players. Have won back to back 50+ game seasons. Have been in playoffs 4 straight years. Have gone to ECF. When healthy next year will be favorite to go to Finals from east. Have better coach. Have about 8-10 year contending window

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 08:39:22 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Would still take the rebuild Ainge did to that of Hinkie. Right now have better team. Have stars with playoff experience. Have 2 stud young guys who are great 2 way players. Have won back to back 50+ game seasons. Have been in playoffs 4 straight years. Have gone to ECF. When healthy next year will be favorite to go to Finals from east. Have better coach. Have about 8-10 year contending window

I think that is the biggest difference. In terms of the process, you also have to count the process it takes to get there for the team and the fans. We had competitive and fun games while it must’ve been really hard for Philly fans. The end result may have been the same but I’ll take our games any day.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The window should be larger if DA hits with Lakers/Kings and Grizz picks.
I agree DAs rebuild is much better.

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Which is completely irrelevant because the Sixers and Celtics were in very different situations 5 years ago.  The Sixers were a mediocre team at best that just had the Bynum trade blow up in their faces.  They had limited assets and didn't even have all their 1st round picks.  We on the other hand were on the downside of a championship caliber team with good trade assets.  If the Brooklyn trade hadn't occurred, where would our rebuild be? 

On the other hand, teams like the Kings and Magic are still bad teams with little to show for the last 5 years.  The Bucks have Giannis but not much more and they don't have cap space.  Unless they get lucky, they're going to be locked into mediocrity.  The TWolves finally made the playoffs as an 8th seed this season but that was to a large degree because of Butler.  They don't have cap space.  I think their upside is limited unless they move Wiggins for a good return. 

So which teams would you rank as being better positioned than the Sixers?  I'd say GSW, Celtics and possibly the Rockets (think their age limited).  If I knew Embiid was going to be healthy, I'd just say GSW. 

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 09:49:25 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Hinkie already won this team is an outstanding success already at this stage and he told ownership he was executing a 7-year plan. He's way ahead of schedule and imagine if they drafted Porzingis instead of Okafor.

Or if they sign LeBron next year they will win a ring next year. And what thanks does Hinkie get? Fired. Tanking works. That's really weak how they treated that guy, he should have a GM job right now.

He should have had a stipulation in his contract- incentives for making playoffs and games won in the regular season.  Trust the Hinkie!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 09:51:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Okafor and Noel would disagree with the original poster.

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
all I know is people are talking about ben simmons... no one's talking about our 1st rnd. loss that year.

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I understand people bringing up Okafor even though I think it is irrelevant and would suggest Okafor busting is no different than all the other teams' draft busts that don't get near the attention on here.  Okafor didn't do squat to improve his situation in his time with the Nets either.  In most cases, the fault predominantly rests with the player himself. 

But Noel?  Hinkie and the Process gave him a lot of playing time and led to a 4yr/70M offer from Dallas.  The only thing he should be upset about is his ego and stupidity for turning down that deal.   

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Yup, I feel badly for Hinckie. He had the right idea. His problem was the blatant nature of the continued tank.

Didn't the NBA step in and request that philly hire someone else??

Two seasons of tanking was probably okay, but the third and fourth etc wore on people and the league. If he were a little better with league politics and not so obvious, he may have been able to continue (even while losing).

The process paid off 1000%, but I think they could have done even better.

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I understand people bringing up Okafor even though I think it is irrelevant and would suggest Okafor busting is no different than all the other teams' draft busts that don't get near the attention on here.  Okafor didn't do squat to improve his situation in his time with the Nets either.  In most cases, the fault predominantly rests with the player himself. 

But Noel?  Hinkie and the Process gave him a lot of playing time and led to a 4yr/70M offer from Dallas.  The only thing he should be upset about is his ego and stupidity for turning down that deal.

How is it irrelevant ??? He is method was to get top picks , he got 4 of them and then when he had some real GM job to do he wasted 2 of them. Here we still can't let go DA's failed picks in the middle of the draft.

The only compliment for Hinkie is that he wasn't as bad as Kahn and managed to turn his picks into something. 

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Which is completely irrelevant because the Sixers and Celtics were in very different situations 5 years ago.  The Sixers were a mediocre team at best that just had the Bynum trade blow up in their faces.  They had limited assets and didn't even have all their 1st round picks.  We on the other hand were on the downside of a championship caliber team with good trade assets.  If the Brooklyn trade hadn't occurred, where would our rebuild be? 

On the other hand, teams like the Kings and Magic are still bad teams with little to show for the last 5 years.  The Bucks have Giannis but not much more and they don't have cap space.  Unless they get lucky, they're going to be locked into mediocrity.  The TWolves finally made the playoffs as an 8th seed this season but that was to a large degree because of Butler.  They don't have cap space.  I think their upside is limited unless they move Wiggins for a good return. 

So which teams would you rank as being better positioned than the Sixers?  I'd say GSW, Celtics and possibly the Rockets (think their age limited).  If I knew Embiid was going to be healthy, I'd just say GSW.

But it did happen. That's like saying if the Sixers decided to build around Jrue Holiday, where would their rebuild be today?

What the Sixers did was such an embarrassment they had to reform the entire lottery because of them. Also, the other owners basically forced Silver to step in regards to the blatant tanking that was taking place - not only because of the losing, but because of lost revenue to home teams facing a woeful Philly squad.

Everybody gets it, losing increases one's odds of getting a higher pick; however, that doesn't mean that what they did was respectable or that they shouldn't have been punished for it. As I said before, I was much more impressed with Philly's MCW/Lakers pick deal and the Stauskas, Landry, Thompson, Sac pick for cap space deal than the total disregard they had for the integrity of the league and game. It isn't original and it's just not morally correct.

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2018, 10:51:41 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Things look good for them at the moment, but they haven't won anything yet, or even come close. And I still expect Embiid to get injured again.

And the rest of the league is still waiting for Kyrie to get injured again. Neither will happen imo.

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

How is it irrelevant ??? He is method was to get top picks , he got 4 of them and then when he had some real GM job to do he wasted 2 of them. Here we still can't let go DA's failed picks in the middle of the draft.

The only compliment for Hinkie is that he wasn't as bad as Kahn and managed to turn his picks into something.
I complain about Ainge choosing Olynyk over Giannis.  I don't complain about his failed picks (Melo, Young, etc).  Every GM has failed picks.  A GMs draft successes are much more important. 

Hinkie didn't ever claim to be a draft savant.  He didn't think that it was possible to be that much better drafting than other GMs.  So the best way to maximize draft success was to increase the quality and quantity of your picks. 

I don't know if Hinkie is a genius.  I do know that he had a good viable rebuild plan and he stuck to that plan.  The moves he made and didn't make were consistent with that plan.  He is certainly better than a lot of the current GMs. 

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Sixers weren't the first team to tank for multiple seasons, they don't have any team futility records, and only had the worst record 1 time.  Thus, I find the criticism of their team to be quite silly and likely borne out of jealously.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2018, 11:32:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The culture of winning thing will come out these playoffs or they will bitterly fail.  It is the one downside of tanking your team culture.   The Hawks a few years ago proved the regular season does not mean crap once the playoffs start.   So many teams were tanking this year that it remains to be seen how good the Sixers are given so many were trying to lose.