Author Topic: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.  (Read 36978 times)

Re: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Things look good for them at the moment, but they haven't won anything yet, or even come close. And I still expect Embiid to get injured again.
We have won anything yet or even come close either.

Exactly. If you take off the green tinted glasses, their young core is just as good as ours is.

Yes. Their young core (of Simmons, Embiid, Fultz, and Saric) is every bit as good as Tatum, Brown, Rozier, and Smart, and wouldn’t be a stretch to say perhaps better.

But, who do they have that’s as good as Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford?

It would be a stretch to say ours is better frankly. I love Tatum and Brown, but right now Simmons and Embiid is clearly superior.

Maybe I wasn’t clear, but I meant it as their young core is perhaps considered better than ours.

Regardless of which core you trust more over the next 3-8 years, we have three veteran all-stars that they do not.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Embiid + Simmons > Tatum + Brown

Good thing the Celtics have Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford on their team going forward. Fultz, Saric, and another player would need to see a lot of development to match the Celtics on paper.

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
if we were tanking we would've had a chance at simmons and Jaylen. instead we were glad we had a dead end team that was in a rush to lose in the 1st rnd.

I'm still glad. I thought it was below the standards of the Celtics and their fans to endure an extended tankathon. Danny also could have picked the Greek Freak. I'm very happy with how everything has unfolded.

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I like both Simmons and embiid.... but I believe in Brown and Tatum to become superstars.. butler and George... 2 way players... you got 2 guys like that without tanking

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Hinkie already won this team is an outstanding success already at this stage and he told ownership he was executing a 7-year plan. He's way ahead of schedule and imagine if they drafted Porzingis instead of Okafor.

Or if they sign LeBron next year they will win a ring next year. And what thanks does Hinkie get. Fired. Tanking works. That's really weak how they treated that guy, he should have a GM job right now.

Explain to me how tanking got them JJ Reddick, Ilyasova, and Bellineli.

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2018, 05:12:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Embiid + Simmons > Tatum + Brown

Good thing the Celtics have Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford on their team going forward. Fultz, Saric, and another player would need to see a lot of development to match the Celtics on paper.

Philly is going to be great for a while, especially if they are able to add a Lebron or PG13 to their core. That being said, the Cs will be getting back Kyrie/Hayward as well so they are going to be a force as well. These 2 teams will be the teams to beat in the East for a while.

It will be interesting to see how Brown/Tatum develop. If they get to that next level as well, watch out. SAC pick could be huge too for Cs.

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2018, 05:13:07 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I like both Simmons and embiid.... but I believe in Brown and Tatum to become superstars.. butler and George... 2 way players... you got 2 guys like that without tanking
Yes, but the Celts did that by pulling off an absolute steal of a trade and also got a little lucky. If The Nets had been even mediocre after that trade the Celts would not have had as good a draft haul.

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yes, but the Celts did that by pulling off an absolute steal of a trade and also got a little lucky. If The Nets had been even mediocre after that trade the Celts would not have had as good a draft haul.
And Philly got lucky to get the top pick the year Simmons came out. There's luck in both executions of rebuilds.

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
And Philly got lucky to get the top pick the year Simmons came out. There's luck in both executions of rebuilds.
that was Hinkie's plan though.  To be bad enough and long enough to ensure at least 1 HOF talent cpuld be drafted.  He knew the draft was a crapshoot and maximized the chances of landing that type of player.  So yeah it was luck but it also wasn't luck either
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
that was Hinkie's plan though.  To be bad enough and long enough to ensure at least 1 HOF talent cpuld be drafted.  He knew the draft was a crapshoot and maximized the chances of landing that type of player.  So yeah it was luck but it also wasn't luck either

It was luck that caused Embiid to fall to #3 from his injuries, and guts by Hinkie to take him though. That draft choice defines 'The Process'. It was all about swinging for the fences for a HOF level talent.

Wiggins and Parker, the two guys taken before Embiid, do not look like HOF players at this point.

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hinkie did everything he could to maximize their chances.  Including getting those pick swaps included in the Kings deal.  If he hadn't done that, the Sixers would have been at #5 not #3 in the last draft.  In which case, the Fultz trade wouldn't have been possible.  Ainge would have drafted Tatum at #1 but we wouldn't have the LaKings pick. So we got quite lucky due to a really small chance of a Sixers/Kings pick swap occurring. 

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

It was luck that caused Embiid to fall to #3 from his injuries, and guts by Hinkie to take him though. That draft choice defines 'The Process'. It was all about swinging for the fences for a HOF level talent.

Wiggins and Parker, the two guys taken before Embiid, do not look like HOF players at this point.
I think Embiid at #3 was an easy choice especially because of the Process.  Embiid by far had the best star potential of anyone available.  Taking him at #1 would have been gutzy. 

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It was luck...they won a freaking lottery. That's basically the definition of luck. Just because you try to maximize your chance at getting lucky doesn't mean it wasn't luck when you get lucky.

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
It was luck...they won a freaking lottery. That's basically the definition of luck. Just because you try to maximize your chance at getting lucky doesn't mean it wasn't luck when you get lucky.
If you use that logic then every single rebuild ever was lucky. That's just the way the lottery is set up. It's not like the 76ers struck gold (Spurs getting Duncan, Bulls getting Rose, Cavs getting all those #1s). They had the best odds and won. They also got unlucky a number of times, like when the Lakers kept their pick back to back years.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
If you use that logic then every single rebuild ever was lucky. That's just the way the lottery is set up. It's not like the 76ers struck gold (Spurs getting Duncan, Bulls getting Rose, Cavs getting all those #1s). They had the best odds and won. They also got unlucky a number of times, like when the Lakers kept their pick back to back years.

Well ya, every single succesuful rebuild requires some amount of luck. Picking the right guy, that guy being in the draft, injuries, ect. Golden stae is a prime exmaple. If Curry desnt have ankle issue he gets the max right off the bta, no cap room for Durant, and they are really good but not a super team. Our rebuild path required soeme luck. Irving becming available being one exmaple.