Author Topic: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.  (Read 36989 times)

Re: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I mean imagine if they drafted Tatum instead of Fultz.

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

Plus they would still get upcoming picks smdh
That would have been really sly of them, if they pretended like they wanted Fultz only to draft Tatum #1. We probably would have thought we killed that trade at the time, only to be regretting it now.
That would never happen.  Ainge wanted Tatum and would never have agreed to the deal if Colangelo wasn't committed to taking Fultz.  If Colangelo had lied about it, he'd be done as a GM.  No one would trust him.
except Colangelo had no reason to tell Ainge who he would draft and almost certainly did not.
Sure he did.  Colangelo wanted to get the deal done.  Ainge wouldn't have traded down a couple spots unless he knew Tatum would still be available.   Remember the rushed Sixers workout of Fultz.
and what if the rushed workout of Fultz led them to the conclusion that they didn't want him and they ended up taking Ball or Tatum instead.  Then he is locked in and ruins his reputation.  There was no reason in the world for Colangelo to put himself into a corner with Ainge, especially since they hadn't seen Fultz at the time the trade was made.  It just doesn't work that way. 

Again, I'm sure Ainge believed the Sixers would take Fultz, and the Sixers obviously had that intention, but I'd be stunned if Colangelo had committed to taking Fultz when he was dealing with Ainge because that just doesn't make any sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I always thought that he was great at his job.
Colangelo supplanted him, but IMO he is less lucid and creative official, he is not bending the rules to the limit as SH did. Some liked that rule bending, some despised it (NBA). Colangelo (his father is a part of the NBA family) just kind of goes with the natural flow. His best moves are the natural continuation of Hinkies work (2013-2016). Embiid (resign the All NBA guy), Simmons (draft a clear 1st pick), Covington (resign), Šarić (still on that fab rookie deal), TJ (as Ro.Co. he signed a 4 year "Hinkie special" and is still there) all of their best core players were here before him. He hired Brown too. They can even draft 1st this year (while having 50 wins) since Hinkie sold MCW at a ridiculously high price. MCW might be out of the league next year and he is healthy.

If I am a rebuilding team, there are at least 8 of those right now, I would call him.

Did he?

It's not that hard to purposely lose. You sit or trade your best players and pick best available. They didn't make large decisions in the drafts. Simmons fell info their lap and even if Embiid wasn't able to play that fits into their strategy. The rest of their picks were trash.

Regarding MCW you can believe that Hinkle had the foresight but in reality he was most likely deferring the pick for tanking purposes. It turns out at the end of the day he will  have sold the 11 pick for 10 most likely. Not exactly Ainge level moves.

I think he did Erik.

Androslav: "Play it Sam!"  ;)
(Sam plays ‘As Time Goes By.’)

Ainge level moves:

*June 26, 2014: Traded Elfrid Payton to the Orlando Magic for Dario Saric, a 2015 2nd round draft pick (Willy Hernangomez was later selected) and a 2017 1st round draft pick (De'Aaron Fox was later selected).
Note : he knew Orlando was high on EP and he basicaly lured 2 picks for 2 spots in late lottery.

*February 19, 2015: As part of a 3-team trade, the Philadelphia 76ers traded Michael Carter-Williams to the Milwaukee Bucks; the Milwaukee Bucks traded Brandon Knight and Kendall Marshall to the Phoenix Suns; the Phoenix Suns traded Tyler Ennis and Miles Plumlee to the Milwaukee Bucks; and the Phoenix Suns traded a 2018 1st round draft pick to the Philadelphia 76ers. (PHI 1st round pick received from PHO is LAL's and is top-5 protected in 2015 and top-3 protected in 2016 & 2017. Became unprotected 2018 pick)
Note: he knew how "good" MCW was, he had him. He saw the teeth from his horse and sold him when his price was at the absolute highest. BTW, he made sure there is no other ballhandlers in the year prior so that MCW can up his raw stats. It was his deal all the way through.

*November 15, 2014: Signed Robert Covington. Signed RO-CO for a "Hinkie special" - Ainge actually copied his contract for Mickey and Semi deals. It became a standard!
July 19, 2015: Signed a multi-year contract with the Boston Celtics
July 19, 2017: Signed Semi Ojeleye to a multi-year contract.
Ainge made a Hinkie move.

"Imitation is the highest form of compliment"

“That’s sort of the the crime of it,” said one agent who’s recently negotiated with the Sixers.
“Certain guys, they don’t have a market to get a solid deal in the NBA elsewhere and they say, ‘We have to do this.’ I’d be prepared to sign this deal if we have to, it’s just a tough spot. It’s not really that fair to the kid.”

They are contenders in the making now, and it is not Colangelo's work that was crucial it was Sam. You might not like how the "Process" was processed aesthetically, but I believe that those are convincing facts.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:15:20 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I mean imagine if they drafted Tatum instead of Fultz.

Simmons
Covington
Taytum
Saric
Embid
------------
Redick

Plus they would still get upcoming picks smdh
That would have been really sly of them, if they pretended like they wanted Fultz only to draft Tatum #1. We probably would have thought we killed that trade at the time, only to be regretting it now.
That would never happen.  Ainge wanted Tatum and would never have agreed to the deal if Colangelo wasn't committed to taking Fultz.  If Colangelo had lied about it, he'd be done as a GM.  No one would trust him.
except Colangelo had no reason to tell Ainge who he would draft and almost certainly did not.
Sure he did.  Colangelo wanted to get the deal done.  Ainge wouldn't have traded down a couple spots unless he knew Tatum would still be available.   Remember the rushed Sixers workout of Fultz.
and what if the rushed workout of Fultz led them to the conclusion that they didn't want him and they ended up taking Ball or Tatum instead.  Then he is locked in and ruins his reputation.  There was no reason in the world for Colangelo to put himself into a corner with Ainge, especially since they hadn't seen Fultz at the time the trade was made.  It just doesn't work that way. 

Again, I'm sure Ainge believed the Sixers would take Fultz, and the Sixers obviously had that intention, but I'd be stunned if Colangelo had committed to taking Fultz when he was dealing with Ainge because that just doesn't make any sense.
The rushed workout occurred during the trade discussions not after the trade.  The trade was completed the next day I think.  Colangelo would have been really stupid to trade up without having worked out Fultz. 

Edit:  Trade completion was actually two days after the workout.   
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/06/17/markelle-fultz-work-out-sixers-saturday/406295001/celtics_trade_finalized_details_of_markelle.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:11:24 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Obviously Simmons and Embiid are both really good.

They still need to fill in the roster though. They currently have a bunch of place-holder shooters (Reddick, Bellinelli, Bayless, and Illyasova).

ROCO can probably fit into their long-term plans, but he is basically James Posey. I'm not sure he can be the 3rd-4th best player on a championship team. 

I like Saric a lot, but playing him next to ROCO, Simmons, and Embiid forces one of them to defend down a position or two, and it isn't easy to chase little guys around screens all game.

Fultz may be the third guy, but with as NBA-ready as Simmons and Embiid are, how long can they wait on him to be ready to compete on both ends in the playoffs.

The Sixers definitely have a good team, but they also have quite a bit of roster formation to go in order to be a true contender. They have the assets to get there, but we'll see if they do.

« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

They still need to fill in the roster though. They currently have a bunch of place-holder shooters (Reddick, Bellinelli, Bayless, and Illyasova).

ROCO can probably fit into their long-term plans, but he is basically James Posey. I'm not sure he can be the 3rd-4th best player on a championship team. 

I like Saric a lot, but playing him next to ROCO, Simmons, and Embiid forces one of them to defend down a position or two, and it isn't easy to chase little guys around screens all game.

Fultz may be the third guy, but with as NBA-ready as Simmons and Embiid are, how long can they wait on him to be ready to compete on both ends in the playoffs.

The Sixers definitely have a good team, but they also have quite a bit of roster formation to go in order to be a true contender. They have the assets to get there, but we'll see if they do.
Simmons and Covington are both very versatile, high level defenders.  They are some of the more positionless players guarding 1 through 4.  Having Embiid guarding the lane really helps too.  The Sixers do a lot of switching rather than fighting through screens. 

I agree Covington shouldn't be their 3rd best player long-term.  However Embiid and Simmons are still developing so they can certainly wait on Fultz for another season.  They shouldn't waste their cap space trying to rush the Process. 

Besides PG13 and Lebron, I don't see anyone on the free agency list that really helps them.  I definitely wouldn't waste cap space on Bradley like some people suggest.  If I'm the Sixers while everyone is courting Lebron, I'd go hard after PG13.  He seems like a near perfect fit for them. 
http://hoopshype.com/2018/02/13/nba-free-agency-2018-the-top-players/

« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Simmons and Covington are both very versatile, high level defenders.  They are some of the more positionless players guarding 1 through 4.  Having Embiid guarding the lane really helps too.  The Sixers do a lot of switching rather than fighting through screens. 

I agree Covington shouldn't be their 3rd best player long-term.  However Embiid and Simmons are still developing so they can certainly wait on Fultz for another season.  They shouldn't waste their cap space trying to rush the Process. 

Besides PG13 and Lebron, I don't see anyone on the free agency list that really helps them.  I definitely wouldn't waste cap space on Bradley like some people suggest.  If I'm the Sixers while everyone is courting Lebron, I'd go hard after PG13.  He seems like a near perfect fit for them. 
I think you could reasonably argue that Saric is already better than Covington and the gap is only going to increase (not to mention Redick was pretty clearly their 3rd best player this year). 

« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2018, 11:34:46 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

On ball both ROCO and Simmons are pretty good 1-4. The problem is the pick-and-roll. Neither player is that good at fighting through the screen. Smart teams would run the pick-and-roll with Embiid's man. If they switch Embiid out, he can be taken off the dribble. If they don't, Simmons or ROCO have to fight through the screen.

In the playoffs, that problem would be exploited time and time again (it's the exact play the Pacers abused the Cavs on with Oladipo). That also puts Embiid in a situation where he is likely to get tired and to pick up dumb fouls.

Fultz and Reddick aren't the guys they need to defend the perimeter.

They have the cap space, so I don't mind them signing a guard like Bradley, but more ideally they could draft a solid two-way guard, not a two-way forward.

On the other hand, Paul George might be one of the best in the NBA at slipping and fighting through screens. He would be ideal, but I think he has his eyes set on LA.

« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Sixers 3rd in the league for merchandise sales (GS and CLE are 1 and 2) and since March have been the top team in the league.  Embiid was 8th and Simmons was 10th in jersey sales.  Both Irving and the Celtics were 5th in their respective lists.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/04/17/stephen-curry-golden-state-warriors-lead-most-popular-merchandise-list-2017-18

« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2018, 11:45:10 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
76ers lost yesterday. Embiid may not be ready for game 3 and is pouting on instagram. Heat now have homecourt Bethune 36 year old Wade

« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Personally, I don't really see what Philly did as being more or less "honorable" than what the Lakers, Magic, Kings, and Suns have done for the last 5 years.

« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I think you could reasonably argue that Saric is already better than Covington and the gap is only going to increase (not to mention Redick was pretty clearly their 3rd best player this year).
I think an argument could be made for any of the three being their 3rd best player. Covington's defense is very important to their success.  Longer term I don't think any of the three fit the bill as their 3rd best player if they want to be a Championship contender. 

« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I think an argument could be made for any of the three being their 3rd best player. Covington's defense is very important to their success.  Longer term I don't think any of the three fit the bill as their 3rd best player if they want to be a Championship contender.

Covington is their Jae Crowder; decent, but pure role type player.

« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Never said he wasn't a role player.  Redick and Saric are role players too.  I rate Covington higher than Crowder.  He's also a very good fit with Embiid and Simmons and on a team friendly contract. 

« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Never said he wasn't a role player.  Redick and Saric are role players too.  I rate Covington higher than Crowder.  He's also a very good fit with Embiid and Simmons and on a team friendly contract.
I think Saric has a lot more than role player potential.  4th option offensively this year and put up 14.6 ppg on 11.4 shots.  39.3% from three, 50.1% from two, and 86% from the line.  6.7 rpg on a team with Embiid and Simmons grabbing boards like crazy.  Decent passer at 2.6 apg.  Needs to work on his defense, but I could easily see Saric as a 20/9/5 type player on a team where he had more looks, especially if he continues to progress like he did from year 1 to year 2 (and I know he is older which curbs some of that growth potential, but he just turned 24 and is in only his 2nd year in the NBA). 

« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I think Saric has a lot more than role player potential.  4th option offensively this year and put up 14.6 ppg on 11.4 shots.  39.3% from three, 50.1% from two, and 86% from the line.  6.7 rpg on a team with Embiid and Simmons grabbing boards like crazy.  Decent passer at 2.6 apg.  Needs to work on his defense, but I could easily see Saric as a 20/9/5 type player on a team where he had more looks, especially if he continues to progress like he did from year 1 to year 2 (and I know he is older which curbs some of that growth potential, but he just turned 24 and is in only his 2nd year in the NBA).

I think we have seen time and time again that a guy getting good numbers as a 3rd or 4th option does necessarily translate to a starring role elsewhere. Saric has definitely benefitted from excellent looks being generated by simmons, defenses doubling Embiid, and teams not being able to give Reddick an inch.

You could have easily said coming into last year that Crowder was scoring 14 points on the Celtics shooting 46% from field and 40% from 3 and act like the numbers were going to blow up if he was given more shots. In reality he was in the perfect situation for himself.

Want another one? Look no further than his teammate Illasova who at 24 was putting up 13 points and 9 rebounds on 49% shooting with 46% from 3 as a secondary option for the Bucks.
Some could have said he was ready to blow up with a bigger opportunity. Again he was in a great situation for himself.

The funny part is, as ravenous and hyped up as the 76ers fans are, most of them acknowledge Saric with his limited athleticism and creation off the bench is a perfect role player and you very rarely see the people watching him every game saying he will be an allstar. I also think Philly is probably good enough with out people needlessly pumping up their role players.