Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 273515 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #2325 on: May 21, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
If it’s GSW vs Cavaliers, ratings will be trash.

« Reply #2326 on: May 21, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No....
The last three years of GSW vs CLE have seen ratings of 11.6, 11.4, and 11.3, a very slight decrease, but the viewship has gone up each year from 19.94 million viewers to 20.28 to 20.38 last year. Those ratings killed every other NBA Finals ratings since 2004.

NBA viewers love the rivalry. I can't see ratings changing all that much for a GSW-CLE 4.

« Reply #2327 on: May 21, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
No....
The last three years of GSW vs CLE have seen ratings of 11.6, 11.4, and 11.3, a very slight decrease, but the viewship has gone up each year from 19.94 million viewers to 20.28 to 20.38 last year. Those ratings killed every other NBA Finals ratings since 2004.

NBA viewers love the rivalry. I can't see ratings changing all that much for a GSW-CLE 4.

You might be right. I confess that was more my heart than my head. Still, in previous years I think there was suspense about whether Cleveland could take the Warriors down. I am thinking that if the Warriors feel like it they would win a series this year in 4. Five games the most.

« Reply #2328 on: May 21, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Classy Cavs fans planning for finals, and openly hoping for injury to curry or Durant

http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/cavs-vs-celtics-2018-eastern-conference-finals.48936/page-32

"If we make it to the finals I feel like this year Has had enough striking parallels to 2016 that we might luck into an injury luck championship again"

"I just want to get there because anything can happen in terms of freak injuries. If KD or Curry go down we've suddenly got a shot. They are the luckiest franchise of all time in terms of injury help though so I wouldn't count on it."

« Reply #2329 on: May 21, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Classy Cavs fans planning for finals, and openly hoping for injury to curry or Durant

http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/cavs-vs-celtics-2018-eastern-conference-finals.48936/page-32

"If we make it to the finals I feel like this year Has had enough striking parallels to 2016 that we might luck into an injury luck championship again"

"I just want to get there because anything can happen in terms of freak injuries. If KD or Curry go down we've suddenly got a shot. They are the luckiest franchise of all time in terms of injury help though so I wouldn't count on it."
You'll see plenty of C's fans saying the same sort of things sadly.

« Reply #2330 on: May 21, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
No....

You might be right. I confess that was more my heart than my head. Still, in previous years I think there was suspense about whether Cleveland could take the Warriors down. I am thinking that if the Warriors feel like it they would win a series this year in 4. Five games the most.

I don't know. I live in Oakland so a lot of people are still excited here obviously. However, a lot of my friends from the pennsylvania area that are casual NBA fans say they are not into it and may only watch half the games. That is how I feel cool kind of. I ended up watching just about all of it last year even though I was bored by it. This year I think I may finally take the plunge and not watch every game. I have seen that matchup enough and it just doesn't really interest me to see them play 4-7 more times.

I don't expect them to tank ratings wise, but I would be surprised if there isn't at least some viewer fatigue that makes them the lowest of the 4. This happens with everything.. too much of the best thing it becomes less popular.

« Reply #2331 on: May 21, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

You'll see plenty of C's fans saying the same sort of things sadly.
most of the comments in that thread were fairly reasonable.  Heck like 11.5% of the voters actually picked Boston to win that series, which is pretty amazing for a Cavs site. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2332 on: May 21, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
No....

I don't know. I live in Oakland so a lot of people are still excited here obviously. However, a lot of my friends from the pennsylvania area that are casual NBA fans say they are not into it and may only watch half the games. That is how I feel cool kind of. I ended up watching just about all of it last year even though I was bored by it. This year I think I may finally take the plunge and not watch every game. I have seen that matchup enough and it just doesn't really interest me to see them play 4-7 more times.

I don't expect them to tank ratings wise, but I would be surprised if there isn't at least some viewer fatigue that makes them the lowest of the 4. This happens with everything.. too much of the best thing it becomes less popular.

The ratings will go down because Golden State vs. Cleveland this year will be extremely lopsided. Barring like 2 significant injuries to Golden State, everyone will expect Golden State to sweep Cleveland and blow them out in like 3 of the games. I mean, last year's Cavaliers team with Lebron averaging a 30-point triple double and Kyrie averaging 29/4/4 were beaten soundly in 5 by Golden State. The lone win coming on a night at home where it seemed every Cavs player had a career night lol. The Cavs don't even have Kyrie anymore and their supporting cast is worse than last year's (defense has gotten slightly worse as well).

Yes, Cleveland vs. Golden State is probably a match up people are sick of seeing now (4 times in a row), but I think ratings would remain great and be high IF folks thought that CLE had a chance to beat them and the series had a chance to go 6-7. I'd frankly be surprised if it goes 5 games. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2333 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
No....

The ratings will go down because Golden State vs. Cleveland this year will be extremely lopsided. Barring like 2 significant injuries to Golden State, everyone will expect Golden State to sweep Cleveland and blow them out in like 3 of the games. I mean, last year's Cavaliers team with Lebron averaging a 30-point triple double and Kyrie averaging 29/4/4 were beaten soundly in 5 by Golden State. The lone win coming on a night at home where it seemed every Cavs player had a career night lol. The Cavs don't even have Kyrie anymore and their supporting cast is worse than last year's (defense has gotten slightly worse as well).

Yes, Cleveland vs. Golden State is probably a match up people are sick of seeing now (4 times in a row), but I think ratings would remain great and be high IF folks thought that CLE had a chance to beat them and the series had a chance to go 6-7. I'd frankly be surprised if it goes 5 games.

Well there is fatigue, but I agree. This year it seems like a harlem globetrotters washington generals matchup. i don't even think the refs can do enough to give Lebron a shot.

« Reply #2334 on: May 21, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
No....

Well there is fatigue, but I agree. This year it seems like a harlem globetrotters washington generals matchup. i don't even think the refs can do enough to give Lebron a shot.

Refs will give Lebron 40 FTA's. Won't matter. Golden State will just sleepwalk their way to 130 points a night on that Cleveland defense  :P

« Reply #2335 on: May 21, 2018, 08:29:10 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Win this game and make a giant leap closer to the Finals!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2336 on: May 21, 2018, 08:32:46 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

What the hell are you doing, here? GET IN THE GAME THREAD, LOL ;D.

« Reply #2337 on: May 21, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Not till a win and confirmation that I'm not a jinx.   :)

« Reply #2338 on: May 21, 2018, 09:03:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Wait were you in the game thread for Game 3?

« Reply #2339 on: May 21, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Wait were you in the game thread for Game 3?

Nope, waiting for a dub.  I'm sacrificing for you, phantom.