Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 273485 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #855 on: April 22, 2018, 01:10:34 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
These playoffs have started off as the revenge of the PGs that can't shoot.  3 cheers for Rondo, Rubio and Simmons.   

« Reply #856 on: April 22, 2018, 01:13:09 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The crowd in Utah has lost their collective mind.  It's like watching a Turkish game when they set the stadium on fire.

Playoff P, tho ::). Sigh.

The crowd was just chanting "Pushoff P" lol

Lol. Give him credit for actually, albeit temporarily, getting OKC back in the game, however. Dat home/road discrepancy, tho.

I will give him credit for pushing off on literally every shot he hit in that little run hahaha

Admittedly, I wasn't watching, so TP for the info :), and in terms of Westbrook, dude pays more attention to his let's call it a "wardrobe" than his turnovers. 9 assists to 8, well, turnovers? Harden's the same way, in that regard. Must be something in the water over there, lol ;D.

lol no worries.  Is seems like OKC has been somewhat underachieving all year.  It is a weird combo though Westbrook, PG13, and Melo.  They are all alpha dogs, and I think they all kinda of wonder when they should take over.

If it had just been the duo of George and Westbrook, the team would have functioned/performed much better, imo, as PG does most of his damage without the ball, although he's certainly capable of creating his own shot, etc., making him the perfect fit alongside Westbrook. The problem, here, or at least imo, is Melo, who has never even attempted to change his game, and as a result you have two ball-dominant guys out there at once, with only one of them being able to shoot, making things even more complicated. They're simply incompatible, offensively, and in terms of defense? LOL ;D. George and Adams are the only dudes on their roster who actually, well, defend.

Maybe Roberson is just that important to them because Melo and Russ are always so checked out on team defense and basically defense in general.

« Reply #857 on: April 22, 2018, 01:18:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
These playoffs have started off as the revenge of the PGs that can't shoot.  3 cheers for Rondo, Rubio and Simmons.

Just between you and I, Simmons is poetry in motion.  Hands down my favorite (non-Celtic) player to watch. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #858 on: April 22, 2018, 01:23:11 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The crowd in Utah has lost their collective mind.  It's like watching a Turkish game when they set the stadium on fire.

Lol. Give him credit for actually, albeit temporarily, getting OKC back in the game, however. Dat home/road discrepancy, tho.

I will give him credit for pushing off on literally every shot he hit in that little run hahaha

Admittedly, I wasn't watching, so TP for the info :), and in terms of Westbrook, dude pays more attention to his let's call it a "wardrobe" than his turnovers. 9 assists to 8, well, turnovers? Harden's the same way, in that regard. Must be something in the water over there, lol ;D.

lol no worries.  Is seems like OKC has been somewhat underachieving all year.  It is a weird combo though Westbrook, PG13, and Melo.  They are all alpha dogs, and I think they all kinda of wonder when they should take over.

If it had just been the duo of George and Westbrook, the team would have functioned/performed much better, imo, as PG does most of his damage without the ball, although he's certainly capable of creating his own shot, etc., making him the perfect fit alongside Westbrook. The problem, here, or at least imo, is Melo, who has never even attempted to change his game, and as a result you have two ball-dominant guys out there at once, with only one of them being able to shoot, making things even more complicated. They're simply incompatible, offensively, and in terms of defense? LOL ;D. George and Adams are the only dudes on their roster who actually, well, defend.

Maybe Roberson is just that important to them because Melo and Russ are always so checked out on team defense and basically defense in general.

Maybe, but if you're counting on Andre Roberson to be the one to fix everything, well, yeah, lol. Still, what's clear to me is that Melo, moving forward (no pun intended), has to reprise Mark Aguirre's reserve role for the Bad Boys, as Anthony just isn't a starter, anymore. I think.

« Reply #859 on: April 22, 2018, 01:36:49 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Maybe, but if you're counting on Andre Roberson to be the one to fix everything, well, yeah, lol. Still, what's clear to me is that Melo, moving forward (no pun intended), has to reprise Mark Aguirre's reserve role for the Bad Boys, as Anthony just isn't a starter, anymore. I think.

Imagine if Melo had gone to the Blazers, now that we have the Pelicans series to reflect on. Would have either been really good...or really bad.

« Reply #860 on: April 22, 2018, 01:40:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Imagine if Melo had gone to the Blazers, now that we have the Pelicans series to reflect on. Would have either been really good...or really bad.

Lillard, McCollum, and Melo on the Blazers? :o I think it's safe to say that that team would certainly have been known for its defense ;).

« Reply #861 on: April 22, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Just between you and I, Simmons is poetry in motion.  Hands down my favorite (non-Celtic) player to watch.
That might get you 5 minutes in the penalty box.  I'm a big Embiid fan but Simmons is growing on me.  I should be all in on him considering his style of play but I think the Lebron association is holding me back. 

Its funny to think back on all the derisive comments when Coach Brown first said Simmons was going to be their PG.  I've been calling him a big Rondo but he's really a bigger Magic.  Coach Brown deserves a lot of credit coaching him up to be a true PG on offense and a high level positionless defender.  PGs are supposed to take years to develop but Simmons hit the ground running and experienced nary a speed bump along the way.  Simmons should win ROY hands down. 

« Reply #862 on: April 22, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

That might get you 5 minutes in the penalty box.  I'm a big Embiid fan but Simmons is growing on me.  I should be all in on him considering his style of play but I think the Lebron association is holding me back. 

Its funny to think back on all the derisive comments when Coach Brown first said Simmons was going to be their PG.  I've been calling him a big Rondo but he's really a bigger Magic.  Coach Brown deserves a lot of credit coaching him up to be a true PG on offense and a high level positionless defender.  PGs are supposed to take years to develop but Simmons hit the ground running and experienced nary a speed bump along the way.  Simmons should win ROY hands down.

Also doesn't hurt to be 6'10 and be able to get wherever you want on the court with sheer size and footspeed...

But we can take solace in the fact that we also have a 6'9 freak who can get wherever he wants.

« Reply #863 on: April 22, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Also doesn't hurt to be 6'10 and be able to get wherever you want on the court with sheer size and footspeed...

But we can take solace in the fact that we also have a 6'9 freak who can get wherever he wants.

Totally - and our guy has only been in an NBA system for one season and can also shoot from anywhere on the court. Simmons looks good, but I am not complaining one bit with Tatum.

« Reply #864 on: April 22, 2018, 10:41:21 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Tatum is doing quite well with lots more potential but he isn't a freak or capable of being a PG.  I can't think of anything Simmons doesn't do better than Tatum besides shooting. 

« Reply #865 on: April 22, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Tatum is doing quite well with lots more potential but he isn't a freak or capable of being a PG.  I can't think of anything Simmons doesn't do better than Tatum besides shooting.

Maybe athletically he's not freakish, but his length sure is. He's all limbs (probably not Giannis level...but is he at least Tayshaun Prince caliber length?)

On the other hand I believe Simmons' wingspan is short for his height. So one other thing Tatum might be better at, potentially, is defense (although by all accounts Simmons has apparently done very well this year on that end too).

Totally - and our guy has only been in an NBA system for one season and can also shoot from anywhere on the court. Simmons looks good, but I am not complaining one bit with Tatum.

Yea...what a time to be, and what a hell of a draft class, both Tatum and Simmons haven't even played a full season and they already look like they belong.

« Reply #866 on: April 22, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Sure, if you overlook the fact that he’s not, you know, an actual rookie.  ;)

« Reply #867 on: April 22, 2018, 12:22:22 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Maybe athletically he's not freakish, but his length sure is. He's all limbs (probably not Giannis level...but is he at least Tayshaun Prince caliber length?)

On the other hand I believe Simmons' wingspan is short for his height. So one other thing Tatum might be better at, potentially, is defense (although by all accounts Simmons has apparently done very well this year on that end too).

Yea...what a time to be, and what a hell of a draft class, both Tatum and Simmons haven't even played a full season and they already look like they belong.
Simmons wingspan is 6'11/7' so not really long but definitely not short.  Tatum's wingspan is around the same.  Probably looks longer since he's a couple inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter. 
Simmons defense has been quite good and versatile. 

Tatum is obviously a much better shooter but his usage was only 19.6%.  How much efficiency will he lose if his usage is bumped up to the levels of the top offensive players.

« Reply #868 on: April 22, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Sure, if you overlook the fact that he’s not, you know, an actual rookie.  ;)
He is by NBA rules and that is all that matters for ROY. 

« Reply #869 on: April 22, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I predict a role reversal today... Baynes will dunk on Giannis
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC