Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 275720 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #750 on: April 21, 2018, 12:48:46 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I don't know where their defense has been all year (17th in DRtg), but the Bucks clamped down tonight.

You mean the refs clamped down

Scott Foster to be precise.

I was only able to watch the 4th quarter when it was already out of hand.  Were the calls one-sided all night?  Milwaukee had 27 fouls vs. 15 for Boston, so I'm guessing there were a lot of late make-up calls?
A heap of those fouls came early in the game, when Milwaukee were hacking us at every opportunity. Then they put their whistles away even though Milwaukee were playing exactly the same rough basketball. Don’t get it

Not surprised.  Count me in the conspiracy camp that believes the NBA will tamper in order to achieve optimal outcomes.  There's just too much money involved, and at the end of the day, it's an entertainment business. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #751 on: April 21, 2018, 12:51:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't know where their defense has been all year (17th in DRtg), but the Bucks clamped down tonight.

I was only able to watch the 4th quarter when it was already out of hand.  Were the calls one-sided all night?  Milwaukee had 27 fouls vs. 15 for Boston, so I'm guessing there were a lot of late make-up calls?
A heap of those fouls came early in the game, when Milwaukee were hacking us at every opportunity. Then they put their whistles away even though Milwaukee were playing exactly the same rough basketball. Don’t get it

Not surprised.  Count me in the conspiracy camp that believes the NBA will tamper in order to achieve optimal outcomes.  There's just too much money involved.  At the end of the day, this is just an entertainment business.
Firmly in that camp too. Absolutely coming down from the top guys
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #752 on: April 21, 2018, 01:07:36 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
My Bogy outscored James by 2, Indy won by 2!
Makin it rain!
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #753 on: April 21, 2018, 01:36:09 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Not surprised.  Count me in the conspiracy camp that believes the NBA will tamper in order to achieve optimal outcomes.  There's just too much money involved, and at the end of the day, it's an entertainment business.

Yup.  Sad.

« Reply #754 on: April 21, 2018, 01:44:18 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Yup.  Sad.

My late Mom would often say that they make the series last longer so they can make more money. =)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #755 on: April 21, 2018, 02:00:17 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yup.  Sad.

My late Mom would often say that they make the series last longer so they can make more money. =)

TP to you and your late Mom.  My late Dad would say the same, with an added dose of crazy if his team was losing.  :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #756 on: April 21, 2018, 03:09:17 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Yup.  Sad.

TP to you and your late Mom.  My late Dad would say the same, with an added dose of crazy if his team was losing.  :)

Back at you. =)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #757 on: April 21, 2018, 04:47:32 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Not surprised.  Count me in the conspiracy camp that believes the NBA will tamper in order to achieve optimal outcomes.  There's just too much money involved.  At the end of the day, this is just an entertainment business.

I have a friend in Manhattan who knows a former league office guy, and that guy essentially confirmed the league is crooked.

IMO it was worse under David Stern though. I've seen so many games that were rigged. One of the worst didn't involve the Celtics, it was I believe a game 4 between the Bulls and Nets, i think it was the year before the Nets got KG and Pierce.

The Bulls were up 2-1 in the series and they came out strong and outplayed the Nets all night long. The Nets IMO were pretty gutless and pathetic. And yet the refs did everything in their power to keep the game close, they were making calls I've literally never seen before. Really creative stuff. The Nets also got 16 more FT's than the Bulls. They couldn't put the ball in the basket but the refs bailed them out again and again.

The league did NOT want a short series between those 2 mega markets.

Me and my Laker fan buddy watched the game, initially I was pulling for the Nets a little bit, but we started cheering for the Bulls because of their heroism playing essentially 5-on-8. The Bulls pulled it out in triple-OT behind an epic effort by Nate Robinson. it was a remarkably gutty win.

The refs came back with a vengeance the next couple games and the Bulls had to win in 7.

I haven't seen anything nearly that bad since Stern retired. I think there are still some fishy moments, but at least they are less obvious about it now.

« Reply #758 on: April 21, 2018, 05:37:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I have a friend in Manhattan who knows a former league office guy, and that guy essentially confirmed the league is crooked.

IMO it was worse under David Stern though. I've seen so many games that were rigged. One of the worst didn't involve the Celtics, it was I believe a game 4 between the Bulls and Nets, i think it was the year before the Nets got KG and Pierce.

The Bulls were up 2-1 in the series and they came out strong and outplayed the Nets all night long. The Nets IMO were pretty gutless and pathetic. And yet the refs did everything in their power to keep the game close, they were making calls I've literally never seen before. Really creative stuff. The Nets also got 16 more FT's than the Bulls. They couldn't put the ball in the basket but the refs bailed them out again and again.

The league did NOT want a short series between those 2 mega markets.

Me and my Laker fan buddy watched the game, initially I was pulling for the Nets a little bit, but we started cheering for the Bulls because of their heroism playing essentially 5-on-8. The Bulls pulled it out in triple-OT behind an epic effort by Nate Robinson. it was a remarkably gutty win.

The refs came back with a vengeance the next couple games and the Bulls had to win in 7.

I haven't seen anything nearly that bad since Stern retired. I think there are still some fishy moments, but at least they are less obvious about it now.
It's gotten way better, the refs will try to control the outcome but they won't go out of their way like they did during the Stern days.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #759 on: April 21, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
at this point, I am not sure if the Cavs even get out of the east. They are having trouble with the pacers in the first round and even if they do the competition only gets better from here.

If they make it to the finals it might be worse than last years blowout

« Reply #760 on: April 21, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The cavs Will lose to pacers ...No flipped switch. You can send the panic on the cavs players. 

« Reply #761 on: April 21, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
at this point, I am not sure if the Cavs even get out of the east. They are having trouble with the pacers in the first round and even if they do the competition only gets better from here.

The Raptors flopped to the Wizards last night and both teams aren't all that great. So I think the Pacers (and 76ers) are the only teams who can realistically take out the Cavs. If the Cavs win this series, they'll sweep/gentleman sweep the winner of Raptors/Wizards.

If the Cavs make it to finals, they'll get swept for sure.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #762 on: April 21, 2018, 01:49:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The Raptors flopped to the Wizards last night and both teams aren't all that great. So I think the Pacers (and 76ers) are the only teams who can realistically take out the Cavs. If the Cavs win this series, they'll sweep/gentleman sweep the winner of Raptors/Wizards.

What's in the world are you watching that makes you think the cavs would sweep anyone

« Reply #763 on: April 21, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

What's in the world are you watching that makes you think the cavs would sweep anyone
Might have more to do with what he is imbibing.  At this point, the Cavs couldn't sweep the floor.   ;D

« Reply #764 on: April 21, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
the Heat really going after Embiid today.  Rough doubles, fouling him rough...a big battle.