Author Topic: Smart to return to play April 27? ( Update: game 6 being targeted)  (Read 11476 times)

Re: Smart to return to play April 27? ( Update: game 6 being targeted)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 08:07:57 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 627
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Really wish he could get cleared tomorrow and play Tuesday...

Re: Smart to return to play April 27?
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Smart targeting a game 6 return: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23286736/boston-celtics-guard-marcus-smart-thumb-re-evaluated

We need him for game 5

Yeah, it’d be a time crunch, but technically he’d be cleared on Tuesday and could play on Tuesday night, depending on what time his appointment is.

Even just sparse minutes off the bench Tuesday night would be so helpful.

No Milwaukee bully ball against Marcus.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 09:03:17 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
So glad Marcus is coming back.
No more Larken, please.

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »

Offline yelkao

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 17
No more Larken, please.

I can’t watch Larkin get burned anymore while contributing nothing offensively. Need Smart

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
No more Larken, please.

I can’t watch Larkin get burned anymore while contributing nothing offensively. Need Smart

Larkin has been fine for a journeyman player from China but I agree that Marcus will impact things when he plays.  He always does.  He is just that kind of player.  Even if his hand is sore and he can't shoot.  Just him being on the court, he will find a way to make an impact and every other Celtics player will play a with a little more edge or energy.  We are so even with Milwaukee, Marcus can tip the scales.

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2018, 10:29:57 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Smart targeting a game 6 return: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23286736/boston-celtics-guard-marcus-smart-thumb-re-evaluated

We need him for game 5

Yeah, it’d be a time crunch, but technically he’d be cleared on Tuesday and could play on Tuesday night, depending on what time his appointment is.

Yep. Every time Larkin came in they attacked him. I'd love to see what Marcus does to Middleton. Khris is going to think he can just go to the baseline for that 10-13 foot jumper and shoot over the top of Marcus - I'll bet Smart has a counter.  Keep him off his spot, strip the ball on the way up - something.

I'd also love to see Marcus rip the ball out of Thon Maker's hands two or three times...

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 11:02:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
No more Larken, please.

Larkin has been fine for a journeyman player from China but I agree that Marcus will impact things when he plays.  He always does.  He is just that kind of player.  Even if his hand is sore and he can't shoot.  Just him being on the court, he will find a way to make an impact and every other Celtics player will play a with a little more edge or energy.  We are so even with Milwaukee, Marcus can tip the scales.
i agree larkin is being used an abused by milwaukee. but in all fairness, he was expected to be what...the 4th pg of the team? he was only expected to play real minutes in case of an emergency.

well, there have been multiple emergencies. i liked him in the regular season and he is trying his best in the playoffs, but he is what he is - a smaller player with limited skills who, on the occasional good night, can give you quality minutes. but that is balanced by his limitations.

yeah, i hope smart gets back soon. the celtics would have probably won game 4 with him playing.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 12:39:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No more Larken, please.

i agree larkin is being used an abused by milwaukee. but in all fairness, he was expected to be what...the 4th pg of the team? he was only expected to play real minutes in case of an emergency.

well, there have been multiple emergencies. i liked him in the regular season and he is trying his best in the playoffs, but he is what he is - a smaller player with limited skills who, on the occasional good night, can give you quality minutes. but that is balanced by his limitations.

yeah, i hope smart gets back soon. the celtics would have probably won game 4 with him playing.
Precisely. Larkin is our 4th string PG and some people expect backup level production from him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 06:39:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Larkin is our 4th string PG and some people expect backup level production from him.

I am expecting he is not a sieve on defense and not be the basketball equivalent of an open door to the basket.

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 06:51:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Larkin is our 4th string PG and some people expect backup level production from him.

I am expecting he is not a sieve on defense and not be the basketball equivalent of an open door to the basket.
Well he's 5'10 and 175lbs, so he is physically limited on the defensive end - especially against guards like Bledsoe, Brogdon and Middleton, who are all quite large. The only Bucks guard he is really physically equipped to guard is the Jet.

He still had a poor game though. Usually he provides some offence, but in game 4 it was not the case
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 07:12:11 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Larkin has provided absolutely nothing to this team in the playoffs. It is unfortunate that Rozier has to rest. Larkin gives a lot of effort but is just too small against this team. As soon as Larkin enters the game the Bucks go on a run. We need Smart back asap.

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
No more Larken, please.

I know it's not your point, but Larkin isn't coming from China. He played in the Spanish League last year and actually turned down a pretty hefty contract (like $6 million) to return to the NBA and play with us.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

We need him for game 5

TP......Giannis needs to knocked on his rear .  Worth the technicals .   That charging the rim , like a fullback has to be stopped.  If the offense plays bully ball , the defense should be allowed to respond in like to stop it .  Otherwise there is no reason to play defense.

Marcus is willing to stand in and take the charge .  Giannis needs to learn fear of getting hurt landing as he attempts to crash into people and jump over them.   

Celtics are playing sissy KO ball.   

Thats not going to cut it .....the team with the most energy output gonna win.  Celtics played two hard games and then let the opponents own the court.

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 11:10:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Larkin is actually a pretty good defender, especially when you take account of his size. He was getting burned on post ups no worse than Rozier. 

You can root for Smart's return without exaggerating deficiencies in Larkin's defense. Guy has easily outperformed team and fan expectations for the season, including defensively.

His sloppiness in game 1 is the only glitch in his resume as far as I'm concerned. And we still won the game.

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Larkin has given the team very little on offense on the road. And he’s practically like IT on D. Having Smart back would be huge by virtue of just having to play Larkin less.

When healthy, this team is stacked.
- LilRip