Author Topic: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment  (Read 16017 times)

Re: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Westbrook: "Brian's been here for a while, I know him personally, but obviously what he said wasn't OK," Westbrook told reporters in Oklahoma City. "We all understand that."

Brian Davis: "It is with great remorse and humility that I accept this suspension for the insensitive words I used during Wednesday's broadcast," Davis said in a statement. "While unintentional, I understand and acknowledge the gravity of the situation. I offer my sincere apology and realize that, while I committed a lapse in judgment, such mistakes come with consequences. This is an appropriate consequence for my actions."

This is my take as well. Westbrook acknowledges that in 2018, it's not appropriate for a white announcer to state that a black athlete has lost his cotton-picking mind. Davis acknowledges that his words were insensitive.

I see no issues with how any of this has gone down. I'd be shocked if Brian Davis pushes further on the suspension. The optics would be worse than they are now.
just curious, have you ever heard of the Irish slave trade? I just fail to see how slavery is a racial issue since it affected both races

Ding ding ding. We've got a winner folks.

« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Westbrook: "Brian's been here for a while, I know him personally, but obviously what he said wasn't OK," Westbrook told reporters in Oklahoma City. "We all understand that."

Brian Davis: "It is with great remorse and humility that I accept this suspension for the insensitive words I used during Wednesday's broadcast," Davis said in a statement. "While unintentional, I understand and acknowledge the gravity of the situation. I offer my sincere apology and realize that, while I committed a lapse in judgment, such mistakes come with consequences. This is an appropriate consequence for my actions."

This is my take as well. Westbrook acknowledges that in 2018, it's not appropriate for a white announcer to state that a black athlete has lost his cotton-picking mind. Davis acknowledges that his words were insensitive.

I see no issues with how any of this has gone down. I'd be shocked if Brian Davis pushes further on the suspension. The optics would be worse than they are now.
just curious, have you ever heard of the Irish slave trade? I just fail to see how slavery is a racial issue since it affected both races

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/irish-slaves-myth.html
come on... Using fake news new york times as a source? The entire article is attempting to rewrite history and calls slaves "indentured servants" in an attempt to act a if the Irish slave trade is a myth. It isn't... they didn't  even deny the Irish were slaves. Guessing you used biased Google right here ? Since its the first thing that Google comes up with.

Would you post your sources on the subject?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

You seriously fail to see slavery as a racial issue?  Which Klan chapter did you say you belonged to again?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

You seriously fail to see slavery as a racial issue?  Which Klan chapter did you say you belonged to again?

I feel like this should be in green font: It's offensive to call someone a Klan member, but it's not offensive to refer to a young black man as "out of their cotton picking mind", and its not offensive to say that slavery isn't a racial issue since it affected both races.

« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I just wish more people looked up the history of  irish people being slaves and involved in a slave trade. It happened. Its ironic because the basketball team is the Celtics and a lot of people in new England are Irish descendants, yet they're not aware their people may have been slaves

« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

I feel like this should be in green font: It's offensive to call someone a Klan member, but it's not offensive to refer to a young black man as "out of their cotton picking mind", and its not offensive to say that slavery isn't a racial issue since it affected both races.

It should be offensive to call someone a member of the Klan.  Hopefully calling someone a member of the Klan is offensive to all but for someone so ignorant that they say slavery is not a racial issue, I am not sure.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I just wish more people looked up the history of  irish people being slaves and involved in a slave trade. It happened. Its ironic because the basketball team is the Celtics and a lot of people in new England are Irish descendants, yet they're not aware their people may have been slaves

You are completely clouding the issue.  There is no denying the historical reality of legitimate oppression and mistreatment of the Irish.  It is even reasonable to posit that the indentured servitude under which the Irish suffered was, indeed, a form of slavery.

It is, however, not reasonable to equate it with the system of African chattel slavery which officially deemed black people from Africa as non-humans and used the free labor of these people to build the country’s economy.  The legacy of the racism involved in chattel slavery and it’s aftermath is still felt in the US today.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson