Author Topic: What has happened to Okafor  (Read 9457 times)

Re: What has happened to Okafor
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2018, 07:22:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Seriously would not be surprised if the Cs looked at Okafor as a cheaper option than Greg Monroe as a bench inside scorer.

Zeller used to fill that role. Monroe does now. Crafty scorers inside are valuable, and Okafor has that ability.

its everything else that's a concern.

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Considering we likely won't be able to keep BOTH Baynes + Monroe after this year (probably just 1), see if Okafor is willing to come here on a 1 year, vet. min deal to build his value. Best case scenario, he's an above average big for us off the bench. Low risk, but potentially high reward. I think Okafor would legitimately consider it since it's not like a team is willing to hand him a big contract now obviously, and who better than CBS to increase his stock while also being able to play for a contender.
Brad Stevens hasn't been able to raise the value or play of James Young, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk or Marcus Smart. None of those players got really, any much better while playing under Stevens. They came in as one player and after bei g around Stevens, sometimes for 4 years, were still pretty much the same player.

Sometimes players just aren't good or don't really develop any. I tend to think Ojafor is one of those players and Stevens isn't going to make any difference in his development.

I think every player you just mentioned got at least one more contract in the NBA and Olynyk is playing a big role for a playoff team and just got a million dollar bonus for playing a certain number of games for the 1st time in his career.
Doesn't change the fact they didn't get any better while playing under Brad Stevens. All it means is that teams were willing to pay for a player to play for them at the level those players were playing at when they left the Celtics.

I think they all got better.
I am guessing the opinion that all of those players got better under Stevens would be in the vast minority.

Three of them didn't have NBA talent.  If Danny had drafted me in 2015 I probably would have been a vastly improved player under Brad's tutelage, but still would have been a universe away from being an NBA player.   

Not sure why you aren't seeing any development in Kelly or Marcus -- especially Marcus who, when healthy, is an impact player. 

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Considering we likely won't be able to keep BOTH Baynes + Monroe after this year (probably just 1), see if Okafor is willing to come here on a 1 year, vet. min deal to build his value. Best case scenario, he's an above average big for us off the bench. Low risk, but potentially high reward. I think Okafor would legitimately consider it since it's not like a team is willing to hand him a big contract now obviously, and who better than CBS to increase his stock while also being able to play for a contender.
Brad Stevens hasn't been able to raise the value or play of James Young, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk or Marcus Smart. None of those players got really, any much better while playing under Stevens. They came in as one player and after bei g around Stevens, sometimes for 4 years, were still pretty much the same player.

Sometimes players just aren't good or don't really develop any. I tend to think Ojafor is one of those players and Stevens isn't going to make any difference in his development.

I think every player you just mentioned got at least one more contract in the NBA and Olynyk is playing a big role for a playoff team and just got a million dollar bonus for playing a certain number of games for the 1st time in his career.
Doesn't change the fact they didn't get any better while playing under Brad Stevens. All it means is that teams were willing to pay for a player to play for them at the level those players were playing at when they left the Celtics.

I think they all got better.
I am guessing the opinion that all of those players got better under Stevens would be in the vast minority.

Three of them didn't have NBA talent.  If Danny had drafted me in 2015 I probably would have been a vastly improved player under Brad's tutelage, but still would have been a universe away from being an NBA player.   

Not sure why you aren't seeing any development in Kelly or Marcus -- especially Marcus who, when healthy, is an impact player.
Smart is an impact defender. That hasn't changed since he came into the league. His offense is awful and has been since he got into the league. I see little growth from Smart. As for Olynyk, just look at his stats. They're basically the same all four years he was here.

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:44 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Did Philly WHIFF on them????????????????????

Smitty77

So you failed on the MCW "whiff" call & now want to say 2 out of 3 ain't bad?

There is ZERO debate to be had on whether they whiffed on Okafor AND Noel!!  Glad to see you acknowledge that.

Smitty77

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2018, 08:55:58 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Did Philly WHIFF on them

I think so, and they whiffed on Fultz to some degree.

I agree.  Fultz will be a decent player, but likely never an All-Star.  Especially for a #1 pick.

Smitty77

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Embiid’s injury history is frightening. Scarier than any of the ones that are considered worrisome (including AD, Griffin, Kawhi).

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2018, 09:36:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Who knows about Fultz -- he could be great, way to early to tell.  But it's Embiid who holds the key to the franchise.  Simmons could definitely be a great player (top 5 possibly), but very young and will need a top guy with him. If not Embiid, then who?   If the Sixers strike out in free agency, they need Embiid to stay healthy.   If he doesn't, I think the greatest Tank in sports history will go down the drain.

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
totally can see Danny picking him up on the cheap and revitalizing his career

Not sure what the Nets were thinking to trade for him when all they did at the end was bench him

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think guys like him are useful players in the NBA anymore if they don't develop some other NBA skills. Rebounds and post scoring aren't enough anymore. Need to rim run, screen really well, pass some, team defend, etc, etc.

Look Greg Monroe is a really gifted passer as a big man and knows where to be on defense (even though he cannot get there against a lot of lineups) and he's still a 10-15 minute bench guy who might not play some matchups.

Isn't Okafor's best case at this point Monroe? And to even get there he needs to make a ton of strides as a passer and learn to have a clue on D.

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Smart is an impact defender. That hasn't changed since he came into the league. His offense is awful and has been since he got into the league. I see little growth from Smart. As for Olynyk, just look at his stats. They're basically the same all four years he was here.
Various media members are weirdly touting Olynyk's improvement in Miami, overall he seems to be the same when I've watched them (which isn't a ton). His numbers across the board seem to be the same too when I've looked them up.

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Various media members are weirdly touting Olynyk's improvement in Miami, overall he seems to be the same when I've watched them (which isn't a ton). His numbers across the board seem to be the same too when I've looked them up.

I've noticed this too. The change in scenery and big contract give him more limelight, but his game is basically the same.

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I've noticed this too. The change in scenery and big contract give him more limelight, but his game is basically the same.
Which is still really good. Versatile bigs like him are amazing to have on your team, he's been really good in the playoffs.

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kelly seems to be a better defender and rebounder than he was here, don't know if the ## bear this out or not.  He also seems to be in really good shape; no longer flabby.