Author Topic: A war is brewing  (Read 3381 times)

Re: A war is brewing
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Simmons is a special talent.

As for Embiid...health is still a concern. As the games go by and the pounding continues something will give.

You could say that about pretty much every player except Lebron though

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Simmons is a special talent.

As for Embiid...health is still a concern. As the games go by and the pounding continues something will give.

Can't argue with that, but it's especially true for a guy who looks to easily weigh 280lbs and is 7'1" / 7'2"
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Still one has to admit Embiid has been rather injury prone thus far?

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Adding a big man like the OP is referring to and keeping Brown & Tatum both is an impossibility, unless we hit it big in the lottery.

Why dismiss our stellar vets, OP?

And Fultz has one nice game and you're scared of him? He showed very little this year, other than a 13/10/10 against a team that had no interest and playing.

Yes, Simmons is a special talent. He's also terrible at the most important skill in the league.

Considering their weaknesses and Embiid's health, I wouldn't trade our situation for their's.

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 09:18:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
QUIZ:  What was the last team to win the NBA championship with an all-NBA center?

I just don’t think it is that critical anymore in today’s game.  Doesn’t hurt, of course.

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 09:35:03 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
The 76ers look good, really good. Embiid is a top center in this league and Ben Simmons is going to be an all NBA player.Fultz looks like he could be something as well. They also have a good amount of cap space.

I think a great rivalry could brew between the Celtics and the 76ers. Brown vs Simmons, Tatum vs Fultz to determine who should have been the number 1 pick. Embiid vs ???.

That's the problem. The Celtics don't have a big man star. I love Tatum and Brown but I think we need one last young potential star to pair with them. The Celtics to this day struggle with protecting the paint. Baynes has been good defending it but he is only out there for an average 18 minutes a game. I believe he does not provide enough offense to justify him being out there longer.

I believe now is the time for Danny to cash in on a true young big man. It is time to set the foundation for a young big three to develop alongside our own big three. That way we shore up our weakness and are ready when Philly comes knocking.

I know we don't have a dominant big but add Kyrie and Gordon and Horford and right now Philly needs a few more pieces to compete against the C's.  The current C's team without Kyrie and gordon can match up against Philly.  Those two just put them over the top.  Now if the C's got lucky and the Lakers win the lotto and the C's can get their big man this year then look out.  All the C's need is a young big who can protect the paint, roll to the hoop and just clean up the glass.  Hopefully they will have the ability to develop a jump shot but right now I'd settle for a defensive stalwart who can hang with Embiid and slow him down.  No one will stop that guy but make him work hard for everything. 

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 09:45:30 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm not worried about matching up with Embiid. Obviously, any team would want a player who could go toe-to-toe with him.

The problem is, in the search for a player who could match up with an elite player, many teams have diluted their overall talent pool.

What about the fact that they have to matchup with the Cs 1-4? Covington is a good defender (although I don't think he is elite like some suggest) and Simmons can be really good when he is focused. If our crunch time lineup is Irving-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford, then who guards Tatum and Brown? Saric and Reddick are ok, but they aren't stopping the Cs athletic, tall wing scorers. And does Embiid want to stand out by the 3 point line the whole game to guard Horford?

What I'm saying is that the Cs offer just as much of a matchup problem as anyone in the league. Rather than trying to matchup with Sixers, the Cs should play their style of basketball so well that it forces the Sixers to try to match up with the Cs.

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The upcoming draft has two really skilled forwards (Doncic and Porter) that will go early, and 5 very talented big men:

Ayton
Bagley
Jackson
Bamba
Carter

A #6 or #7 pick this year will almost certainly result in a high quality big prospect.
Okay, but in all likelihood the Celtics won't be able to pick any of those guys.  So what's the point?

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Adding a big man like the OP is referring to and keeping Brown & Tatum both is an impossibility, unless we hit it big in the lottery.

Why dismiss our stellar vets, OP?

And Fultz has one nice game and you're scared of him? He showed very little this year, other than a 13/10/10 against a team that had no interest and playing.

Yes, Simmons is a special talent. He's also terrible at the most important skill in the league.

Considering their weaknesses and Embiid's health, I wouldn't trade our situation for their's.
As was Magic Johnson for a couple of years just shooting from the outside and then eventually got into the 3 point game as well. Not saying Simmons is that great but he's really, really good.
I wouldn't trade our situation for theirs either but it will be boring seasons if we don't have an east rival if we are going to dominate the eastern conference for the next few years.

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The upcoming draft has two really skilled forwards (Doncic and Porter) that will go early, and 5 very talented big men:

Ayton
Bagley
Jackson
Bamba
Carter

A #6 or #7 pick this year will almost certainly result in a high quality big prospect.
Okay, but in all likelihood the Celtics won't be able to pick any of those guys.  So what's the point?
The likelihood is fairly low for any individual trade being discussed here, but the original point of this post was that we lacked a young foundational big man, and I agree that that is the last big hole in the team's roster.

There is a reasonable chance we could move into this range if we were willing to be aggressive enough. If Rozier continues to impress in the playoffs, and we were to also include the 2019 Sac pick and perhaps a couple of lesser assets, we might very well be able to get into this tier.

I think it represents the best way to land a young big man. We can't play the free agent market for the foreseeable future. Trading for a more established big that good would require breaking up a core that fits perfectly together. This is the deepest draft for top quality bigs in a very long time. It may very well not happen, but we have the assets to do it and its a reasonable option.