Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard Moving To Boston Celtics? Dwyane Wade Thinks So  (Read 24337 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard Moving To Boston Celtics? Dwyane Wade Thinks So
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
As someone who lives in San Antonio I would be ok with this. I'd get to see Tatum play for a long time and it'd be as much of a win as you could hope for for either team if they decided to trade those guys.

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Let's hope Ainge isn't considering this. We're building up a strong core right here and we don't really need KL.

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
What would we do with Willie McGee? We can't use his bat, we can't use his speed...LOL

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I am sure Dwayne Wade has our best interests at heart.

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Honestly that article seems a bit whatever.  Does Wade have any insider info on WHY he thinks that Kawhi ends up in Boston?  It seems just random speculation, and that is worth about as much as all the money in my pocket, nothing.

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 02:27:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Let's hope Ainge isn't considering this. We're building up a strong core right here and we don't really need KL.

At the rate Brown is i proving ...even his free throws look effortless smooth.    He will be 90 % KL in a year or two at a faction of the price. 

Pops would ...drool ....love to have Tatum .....his kind of player. ....smart , silent assassin .   

Tatum is a keeper . 

Davis is the prize .

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I can see a scenario for a trade that involves a sign and trade of Smart to deal with the salary (still puts Boston into luxury tax I think).  Say Smart ($10M) Tatum ($6.7M) and you get there.  My a question is the resulting roster.  Do we start:

Irving
Brown
Leonard
Horford
Some other Big

And then bring Hayward off the bench as at 2/3 (or wing or whatever you want to all it).  Per 82games, Hayward split his time between 2 and 3 while Leonard played almost exclusively at 3 (based on 2016/17).  Hayward the next super 6th man?  Can Stevens/Ainge convince him to go along with this?  If so, I like this team.

And no, I do not want to have Hayward or Leonard play primarily at a big position.  There are 96 minutes at the 2 and 3.  There are enough minutes for them to not have to play as a PF except in limited small ball cases.

I think I discussed with @saltlover about this, but if Smart is in the package as a S&T, only HALF his annual salary is accounted in the trade. So if Smart signs 4/40M and goes SAS, it will only account for $5M in the actual trade, not $10M, or if Smart signs 4/48M, it counts as 6M.

Could be wrong or may have misunderstood, but I think that's how it works.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Dwyane Wade Thinks So=We better not do it                 

period

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 04:57:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

period

Is Wade’s basketball savvy in question? He did help orchestrate Lebron and Bosh to Miami.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can see a scenario for a trade that involves a sign and trade of Smart to deal with the salary (still puts Boston into luxury tax I think).  Say Smart ($10M) Tatum ($6.7M) and you get there.  My a question is the resulting roster.  Do we start:

Irving
Brown
Leonard
Horford
Some other Big

And then bring Hayward off the bench as at 2/3 (or wing or whatever you want to all it).  Per 82games, Hayward split his time between 2 and 3 while Leonard played almost exclusively at 3 (based on 2016/17).  Hayward the next super 6th man?  Can Stevens/Ainge convince him to go along with this?  If so, I like this team.

And no, I do not want to have Hayward or Leonard play primarily at a big position.  There are 96 minutes at the 2 and 3.  There are enough minutes for them to not have to play as a PF except in limited small ball cases.

I think I discussed with @saltlover about this, but if Smart is in the package as a S&T, only HALF his annual salary is accounted in the trade. So if Smart signs 4/40M and goes SAS, it will only account for $5M in the actual trade, not $10M, or if Smart signs 4/48M, it counts as 6M.

Could be wrong or may have misunderstood, but I think that's how it works.
I think you're talking about Base Year Compensation for a sign and trade where only the outgoing salary is accounted for as 50% of the first year's salary or the player's old salary whichever is higher. I think a team has to be in a taxpayer situation for a sign and trade BYC to go into effect. I know the Celtics aren't taxpayers and I am pretty sure San Antonio isn't either so I am not sure BYC happens here. Though I could be wrong.

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 05:19:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

period

Is Wade’s basketball savvy in question? He did help orchestrate Lebron and Bosh to Miami.

I'm quite sure that in Lebron's mind, it was just a teensy, weensy bit of help, compared to the role that Lebron himself played.

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

period

I mean, that wasn’t exactly the boldest basketball move I’ve ever seen. It was a “hey, I’m a great player, lemme get my buddy the best player in the world to come to South Beach (because he can’t beat Boston in Cleveland) and while we’re at it Pat, sign my other buddy Chris” kinda move.

Since then, he went to Chicago, fail.

Opted-in with Chicago, instafail.

Ran to LeBron, megafail.

Crawled back to Miami with his tail between his legs.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2018, 05:35:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

period

I mean, that wasn’t exactly the boldest basketball move I’ve ever seen. It was a “hey, I’m a great player, lemme get my buddy the best player in the world to come to South Beach (because he can’t beat Boston in Cleveland) and while we’re at it Pat, sign my other buddy Chris” kinda move.

Since then, he went to Chicago, fail.

Opted-in with Chicago, instafail.

Ran to LeBron, megafail.

Crawled back to Miami with his tail between his legs.

He opted in with Chicago because there was no way in hell he was gonna get $23.8 million on the open market.  It'd would've been idiotic to pass up that.  That's not a fail.  He ended up giving back $8-9 million of it via buyout but $15-16 million when your career is at the end of the road is a savvy business move of self interest, not a fail.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Isn't Leonard a FA?  S&T require the team he is going to having cap space I thought

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Isn't Leonard a FA?  S&T require the team he is going to having cap space I thought
No he has another year left on his contract. He would come due at the same time as Kyrie.