Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard Moving To Boston Celtics? Dwyane Wade Thinks So  (Read 24346 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard Moving To Boston Celtics? Dwyane Wade Thinks So
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 09:25:30 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I still feel like, even we have great time now, we need one superstar beside Kyrie to say: Yes we are a championship team now. Hayward is great, Tatum, Brown, Horford, but none of them are superstars. Still, I'm scared of trade.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 09:52:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
DA is comitted to Hayward , Horford and Irving .   Team has not had a healthy run with these three yet to see what they can do.

Only the possibility of trading for Davis will change the present main three guys

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
If a player doesn't work out in SA, would he work out anywhere?
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
We don’t want Tatum to play he 4 for extended minutes. He’s not big enough - he’ll take a pounding. Also, when he plays the 4 our rebounding really suffers.

He played the 4 at extended minutes in his rookie year. He's going to be just fine after he gains some weight. His build reminds me a lot of Paul Milsap, and the NBA is only getting smaller at those positions. It's not like he'll face the Anthony Davis/Boogie combo for all 29 teams.

We’ll see. The blog did a story; when he’s the second biggest player on the floor for us his rebound rate and the team’s both plummet.

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 11:04:52 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
C's definitely have the talent to trade for Leonard, but salary match -- even for KL's 20M is not simple.   There is no way to avoid including JB or JT and you'd have to include Morris and probably Rozier -- just to get to about 13M.   Then it's Yabu, Nader, Larkin to get to the right number.   

If it came down to Theis or Rozier -- who would you want to keep?

I think you outline pretty well why this trade is not happening without sending one of the 3 current max contracts out.

Kawhi will sign a max contract when his deal is up, He, Irving, Hayward, and Horford alone would account for 120 million in salary cap... Obviously, that's not a real possibility. 

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We don't need Kawhi. In a few years, we'll have a close version of him in Jaylyn Brown.

Please don't forget this game is played with only one ball.

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
C's definitely have the talent to trade for Leonard, but salary match -- even for KL's 20M is not simple.   There is no way to avoid including JB or JT and you'd have to include Morris and probably Rozier -- just to get to about 13M.   Then it's Yabu, Nader, Larkin to get to the right number.   

If it came down to Theis or Rozier -- who would you want to keep?

I think you outline pretty well why this trade is not happening without sending one of the 3 current max contracts out.

Kawhi will sign a max contract when his deal is up, He, Irving, Hayward, and Horford alone would account for 120 million in salary cap... Obviously, that's not a real possibility.
Of course that is a real possibility, especially given Horford would only have 1 option year left the summer Irving and Leonard re-signed. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I would dream of the day we could have a Kawhi, Kyrie, and Hayward lineup. Small ball for days lol. Just need a decent center to block shots, and rebound. Baynes or Horford.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
You absolutely tade for Kawhi if he is available, he is a top 5 talent. And sorry to say you trade Tatum for him if it's the asking price. Tatum is excellent but Kawhi is a top 5 talent, the probability of Tatum ever becoming as good as him are very slim.
And yes you can include Horford in a package at this stage, enough with this narrative if we trade Horford no free agents will ever come here. Next year is his third year here, he is trade-able at this stage without future free agency concern repercussions.. it happens all of the time.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
You absolutely tade for Kawhi if he is available, he is a top 5 talent. And sorry to say you trade Tatum for him if it's the asking price. Tatum is excellent but Kawhi is a top 5 talent, the probability of Tatum ever becoming as good as him are very slim.
And yes you can include Horford in a package at this stage, enough with this narrative if we trade Horford no free agents will ever come here. Next year is his third year here, he is trade-able at this stage without future free agency concern repercussions.. it happens all of the time.

He'd be very lucky to be the 7th best player next year, and that's if you assume he returns to his peak form. You would be trading for him, not just getting him, and you would be doing so with one of the premier management teams in the NBA. They would have the better position because his health and mental outlook is murky and they know more about him than we do. He also slots into the role we need the least. I don't see us likely to improve with this exchange.

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 11:58:41 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I can see a scenario for a trade that involves a sign and trade of Smart to deal with the salary (still puts Boston into luxury tax I think).  Say Smart ($10M) Tatum ($6.7M) and you get there.  My a question is the resulting roster.  Do we start:

Irving
Brown
Leonard
Horford
Some other Big

And then bring Hayward off the bench as at 2/3 (or wing or whatever you want to all it).  Per 82games, Hayward split his time between 2 and 3 while Leonard played almost exclusively at 3 (based on 2016/17).  Hayward the next super 6th man?  Can Stevens/Ainge convince him to go along with this?  If so, I like this team.

And no, I do not want to have Hayward or Leonard play primarily at a big position.  There are 96 minutes at the 2 and 3.  There are enough minutes for them to not have to play as a PF except in limited small ball cases.

This is why Celts more willing to give up Brown than Tatum. Tatum can play 4.

Ya but so could Lenard or even Hayward for same minutes, and probably both could do it better than Tatum. Dont think that's a huge factor in who they would give up.

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

He'd be very lucky to be the 7th best player next year, and that's if you assume he returns to his peak form. You would be trading for him, not just getting him, and you would be doing so with one of the premier management teams in the NBA. They would have the better position because his health and mental outlook is murky and they know more about him than we do. He also slots into the role we need the least. I don't see us likely to improve with this exchange.

I personally think Kawhi is fine and is just getting poor guidance from his camp which from my understanding is also his family (I believe his uncle is his agent)? I believe he is looking for his next payday and as Shannon Sharpe alluded to I do think the Isaiah Thomas contract situation scared him (or his family) a bit.

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I don't see any scenario under which DA offers what it will take to get the deal done, given that KL only has one year left on his contract. Too much risk that the guy walks.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I just don't see it happening.  This is a 55 win team that will be getting Hayward &, presumably, a healthy Kyrie back next season.  Then you have a handful of cost controlled young guys.

I have to think the organization already really likes its chances moving forward with the current core that they have in place.   The tinkering will be at the periphery. 

This isn't summer '07.

I hope you’re right but Danny worries me.

Why? are you the GM of another NBA team? He doesn't make trades that hurt the Celtics.

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 01:01:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Would love Kawhi and think he is worth every bit of Tatum and parts if that is what it cost.  The issue, as was alluded to earlier, is the finances.  I don't really have the patience to look up the numbers and do the math but team's nowadays have to look really hard and cap penalties when making these decisions.  Not sure how it shakes out adding Kawhi but it would be a big factor.

Having said all that, I believe DA will need to consolidate assets at some point.  Brown, Tatum, Kyrie, and Hayward will all demand max money at some point (and that's ignoring Horford for the moment).  I don't think the team can sustain that kind of cost.