Author Topic: The pride of the shipwrecked captain - Doc Rivers  (Read 2922 times)

Re: The pride of the shipwrecked captain - Doc Rivers
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
This article confirms what I've always disliked about Rivers.  He is a fake, a phoney, a fraud, etc.  He says whatever he needs to say whether he believes it or not and has always just come off as dishonest to me.

TP ....I feel the same about Rivers the coach /GM ....that said .I did like hm alot as a player , especially the way he hustled in college.

He is all about himself first ....how to  beat or use  the system.
Agreed, played way above his level at Marquette and liked/respected him as an nba player.  In NY and ATL he was a very good pro.  As a coach he has at different times, got a lot out of a team that wasn't that good, been a mentor to a great team keeping everyone in check and getting them to play together and a solid nba coach probably just above middle of the road.  As a gm, horrible.
Don't wish him ill, seems like a very nice guy, we got a draft pick out of letting him leave! 

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm not so sure the Clippers are rebuilding, at least in the true sense of the word.  They have some solid talent.  The don't have a franchise level player, but they can fairly easily be a 45-50 win team next year.
I don't see 45-50 wins out of this team.

40-45 seems more likely.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I don't have strong feelings for him either way, but this article rehashes a lot of old stuff and just kind of takes shots at Doc. Whats the point of that? Leaked to prepare for him being fired?

Agreed.  Most of the 'issues' seem like the normal issues any manager of diverse people will exhibit over a looooong career.

If you take a close look at anybody's career that is as long as Doc's, you will find a ton of anecdotes and quotes and images and bits and pieces of stories that are both positive and negative.   You can thus paint any picture you want by simply focusing more on the positive or more on the negative.

Personally, I try not to waste too much energy pretending I know the true 'character' of any of these people.  I don't.  You don't.  We never will.

Bottom line is always what they did on the court.   Doc's record speaks for itself.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 08:15:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm not so sure the Clippers are rebuilding, at least in the true sense of the word.  They have some solid talent.  The don't have a franchise level player, but they can fairly easily be a 45-50 win team next year.
I don't see 45-50 wins out of this team.

40-45 seems more likely.
depends on a lot on health.  I mean Gallinari, Beverly, and Teodosic all missed a lot of game action. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 08:18:11 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I don't have strong feelings for him either way, but this article rehashes a lot of old stuff and just kind of takes shots at Doc. Whats the point of that? Leaked to prepare for him being fired?

Agreed.  Most of the 'issues' seem like the normal issues any manager of diverse people will exhibit over a looooong career.

If you take a close look at anybody's career that is as long as Doc's, you will find a ton of anecdotes and quotes and images and bits and pieces of stories that are both positive and negative.   You can thus paint any picture you want by simply focusing more on the positive or more on the negative.

Personally, I try not to waste too much energy pretending I know the true 'character' of any of these people.  I don't.  You don't.  We never will.

Bottom line is always what they did on the court.   Doc's record speaks for itself.

Yup pretty much this. You can literally do this with anyone in a management position for a long time at any work place nevermind just sports.
ok fine

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Ah, see this is where my take on Doc firmed up:

As a player, he was solid, above average, and played hard most of the time. Not exactly an immortal sports hero, but a very good player with a good career on good teams surrounded by some great players and coaches.

As a coach, his early accolades came from doing what a lot of coaches have done: get a young team to play well and hard enough to exceed expectations in Orlando, and as most coaches who do this have done, he got COY, then fired when the team came down to earth. Here, our title success was about the KG/Thibs synergy that produced great defense, and an offense with players that couldn't be stopped who usually shared the ball. I mean, I don't know what exactly it was he did as a coach that a pretty average NBA coach couldn't have done, except...

When the Sterling thing all went down in LA, Doc earned my enduring respect for basically somehow holding that franchise together and being a strong moral voice.

So never particularly impressed with Doc as a player or coach, but a strong leader in times of moral crisis. That's worth a lot, and even though it may be time for he and the Clips to part, I hope he gets the degree of respect he deserves for what he's done for that organization. It might not be an exaggeration to say he's one of the most significant Clippers ever. Though maybe that itself would be [dang]ing him with faint praise.

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 09:09:03 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
is he going to bounce again cuz he doesn't want to go through another rebuild?

It was never about the rebuild, he wanted to be in LA ...he never bought into Boston that's why I did not like him..well and because he really isn't a good coach. He won't bail on LA, even if he has to coach a team of DLeaguers.