Author Topic: Player plays 1st nba game after being in g-league for 10 years. 19 pts, 3 blocks  (Read 2184 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:26:59 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Player plays 1st nba game after being in g-league for 10 years
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:23:45 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Awesome story. I'm not sure people understand how much more difficult on a day-to-day basis it is to play in a minor league like that - travel, lodging, food, salary, equipment, etc. We all hate the Lakers, but I give them a ton of credit for rewarding him for his hard work and for making that moment he found out as special as possible.

Thanks for sharing!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:46:52 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
At least this Ingram put up decent stats for one night compared to the other Ingram whose been inconsistent/injured.

But I'd like my hands on that other Ingram.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:54:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not sure people understand how much more difficult on a day-to-day basis it is to play in a minor league like that - travel, lodging, food, salary, equipment, etc.
So tough it's almost like being a regular guy with a regular job...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm not sure people understand how much more difficult on a day-to-day basis it is to play in a minor league like that - travel, lodging, food, salary, equipment, etc.
He works two jobs ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He finished 6-for-8 from the field, including 4-for-5 on 3-pointers

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 11:02:22 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
most regular guys with regular jobs don't have significant travel obligations for dirt pay. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
That's really awesome for him. That's a long time to grind in the g-league.

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Why did they call his strips blocks, and not steals?
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
most regular guys with regular jobs don't have significant travel obligations for dirt pay.

They get housing, travel, per diem for food, health and life insurance. To be doing something you love on top of that? Yeah, that's definitely not harder than a regular Joe's life. Actually, most of the people on minimum wage have to pay for all that stuff themselves and go without some of that because they can't afford it (health and life insurance? Hah, they're lucky if they have one)!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
25 away games in six months is not that significant. It means 4 away games a month. $19,000 to $26,000 a year is two thirds or more of the median household income in the US ($59,000).

It's not exactly a great career, but you're exaggerating.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
G-Leaguers make a guaranteed minimum salary of $75,000 and has 25 regular season away games.

The median household income in the US is less than $60,000.

It's good to put things in perspective sometimes.

That's a lot higher than I thought.  The obvious follow-up question -- can an over-the-hill, mediocre white guy snag a spot at the end of a G league bench? 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
G-Leaguers make a guaranteed minimum salary of $75,000 and has 25 regular season away games.

The median household income in the US is less than $60,000.

It's good to put things in perspective sometimes.

That's a lot higher than I thought.  The obvious follow-up question -- can an over-the-hill, mediocre white guy snag a spot at the end of a G league bench?
Seemed a bit fishy so I double-checked. This is for two-way guys. Regular joes get 19,000 or 26,000 -- which is not great, but all things considered not horrible for half a year's worth of work.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
He works two jobs ;)
so, koz was right!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

They get housing, travel, per diem for food, health and life insurance. To be doing something you love on top of that? Yeah, that's definitely not harder than a regular Joe's life. Actually, most of the people on minimum wage have to pay for all that stuff themselves and go without some of that because they can't afford it (health and life insurance? Hah, they're lucky if they have one)!

D-League players earn one of two salaries—$19,500 or $26,000—for the six-month D-League season. a truck full of money that is not.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/02/14/nba-gatorade-g-league-deal-adam-silver-takeaways

and...
- In addition to their base salaries, minor leaguers can earn bonuses pertaining to various accomplishments. The league's Most Valuable Player earns a maximum $3,000 bonus.

- The league's other award winners (such as Most Improved Player, D-League Impact Player, Defensive Player of the Year, the Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award recipient, and varied "All D-League" team selections) earn bonuses ranging from $1,000 to $1,500.

- In addition to respective life and health insurance benefits during the season, housing and in-season accommodations are provided, as well as a $40 per diem for meals while a player is traveling on the road with his team (players are allocated $30 during training camp).

- Players on successful teams can earn smaller bonuses ranging from $500 to $1,000 as their respective teams win a regular season conference championship, as well as win and/or make the D-League Finals.

- Early termination fees for players seeking some sort of opt-out in their contract midseason, in order to play for an international (or otherwise related) team, begin at $40,000.

- The D-League's anti-drug (marijuana and other related substances) policy is very similar to that of the NBA's, except for the fact that a minor leaguer's contract can be terminated following the third offense.

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/2014/10/27/7077055/breaking-down-nba-d-league-player-pay-and-standard-league-contracts
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva