Author Topic: Michael Cohen pleads guilty. Implicates a "candidate" for federal office(Trump)  (Read 7472 times)

Offline Sophomore

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 214
I am also remembering just now that John Edwards was prosecuted for using illegal campaign  contributions to pay off his mistress. So there is that. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/john-edwards-indictment-expected-today/2011/06/03/AGQwEuHH_story.html?utm_term=.2af3562e73ec

True, although the prosecution was basically unprecedented and he wasnít convicted.

Yeah. I think that if thatís his only act it seems unlikely to be the basis for prosecution. Such a prosecution might be easier to win if it happened, though, because the evidence of intent would be so blindingly clear. Iíd have to look it up but I think that was the prosecutionís problem in the Edwards case.

Offline Sophomore

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 214
Also of course Iíd be very surprised if mueller would indict a sitting president. Iím almost certain any consequences for this are strictly political.

Offline kraidstar

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 594
Cohen admits that the federal finance crimes were done to influence the election. I think that is huge.

Yep. People can try to spin it, and will try to spin it however they want ,but this is a huge deal, and it seems this is only the beginning of what Mueller has coming for Trump.

Exactly. These weren't simple bookkeeping shenanigans, they were a conspiracy to illegally hide potentially game-changing evidence about a candidate from the American people before a Presidential election.

There will be plenty more action to follow.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 529
Also of course Iíd be very surprised if mueller would indict a sitting president. Iím almost certain any consequences for this are strictly political.

Political and perfectly timed for the mid-term elections to shift the balance of power and allow for impeachment. Republicans running this fall have to make a very tough choice. Continue to support a president who is looking more and more guilty as elections are set to take place, or come to their senses, be honest themselves, and hope for the best.

I would love to see the level headed Republicans stand up, take back their own party from the extremists, maintain their majority, impeach Trump themselves and run with Pence, a respectable President. Otherwise, the damage may be very long term for them

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2087
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So all in one day:

- Trump's personal lawyer pleads guilty to multiple felonies and will do jail time.
- His campaign manager's trial on 18 felony counts appears to be approaching a verdict, based in large part on the testimony of his deputy campaign manager
- His National Security Advisor's sentencing hearing for the felony he pled guilty to was pushed back at the request of prosecutors.

And last week prosecutors made sentencing recommendations for his foreign policy aide (Papadopoulus).

Gotta add to this list - it would normally be a much bigger story, but Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) and his wife were indicted today for illegally using over $250k in campaign donations for personal use. Hunter was the 2nd member of Congress to endorse Trump for President - some may remember that the first member to endorse him, Chris Collins (R-NY) was indicted last week for insider trading.

It's much more tangentially related than Manafort or Cohen, but man this Trump fella sure is a magnet for corruption and crime.

Offline blink

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 446
So all in one day:

- Trump's personal lawyer pleads guilty to multiple felonies and will do jail time.
- His campaign manager's trial on 18 felony counts appears to be approaching a verdict, based in large part on the testimony of his deputy campaign manager
- His National Security Advisor's sentencing hearing for the felony he pled guilty to was pushed back at the request of prosecutors.

And last week prosecutors made sentencing recommendations for his foreign policy aide (Papadopoulus).

Gotta add to this list - it would normally be a much bigger story, but Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) and his wife were indicted today for illegally using over $250k in campaign donations for personal use. Hunter was the 2nd member of Congress to endorse Trump for President - some may remember that the first member to endorse him, Chris Collins (R-NY) was indicted last week for insider trading.

It's much more tangentially related than Manafort or Cohen, but man this Trump fella sure is a magnet for corruption and crime.

He took the worst people and drained them (the swamp) directly into his campaign and the white house.

It feels like sometimes that we have a mob president.  All of these people have dirt on him, and he has dirt on all of these people.  It is all so transparent.  He compliments Manafort in a blatant pardon dangle.  This is what happens when you lie so much, all the time, every day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:57:36 PM by blink »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1470

Political and perfectly timed for the mid-term elections to shift the balance of power and allow for impeachment. Republicans running this fall have to make a very tough choice. Continue to support a president who is looking more and more guilty as elections are set to take place, or come to their senses, be honest themselves, and hope for the best.

I would love to see the level headed Republicans stand up, take back their own party from the extremists, maintain their majority, impeach Trump themselves and run with Pence, a respectable President. Otherwise, the damage may be very long term for them

I'd be good with your solution -- and I can't stand Mike Pence.   

Just Get Him Out. 

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett

Just Get Him Out.

I'm not a fan of Pence either, but that's a solution that I would be good with, and should result in both parties moving towards the center and working together a bit finally. If we don't get both parties back towards the center more and working together, we are all screwed.

Offline blink

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 446

Just Get Him Out.

I'm not a fan of Pence either, but that's a solution that I would be good with, and should result in both parties moving towards the center and working together a bit finally. If we don't get both parties back towards the center more and working together, we are all screwed.

I am not a fan of Pence either.  But I think we should wait until we see a full report from Mueller before anything happens.  If Trump was obstructing justice, it is unclear who else was doing that.  If Pence was any part of that he needs to go too.   As a moderate democrat, the middle ground of politics needs to be re-established.  But the damage that Trump has caused won't be easily fixed.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett

Just Get Him Out.

I am not a fan of Pence either.  But I think we should wait until we see a full report from Mueller before anything happens.  If Trump was obstructing justice, it is unclear who else was doing that.  If Pence was any part of that he needs to go too.   As a moderate democrat, the middle ground of politics needs to be re-established.  But the damage that Trump has caused won't be easily fixed.

It would be nice, and reassuring, to see the reasonable republicans grow a spine and stand up for their party one way or another. They are letting an epically inept, unbalanced, corrupt President destroy their party completely while sacrificing their values.

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88
What a News day. In addition, Rep. Duncan Hunter indicted for misusing $250k in campaign contributions for personal use. Vacations. Dental work. Etc. Yuck.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 250

Just Get Him Out.

Pence might've been the only one smart enough to stay out of the mess and do his own campaigning, but who knows for sure how close Trump kept him in the Oval. He's had a Cheshire Cat grin since joining the ticket, like he knew T was going to foul it up somehow sometime, and he'd eventually be president.

Anyhoo, I'll consign the can't stand Pence, but I'd take that resolution.

Offline slamtheking

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 8945

Just Get Him Out.

Pence might've been the only one smart enough to stay out of the mess and do his own campaigning, but who knows for sure how close Trump kept him in the Oval. He's had a Cheshire Cat grin since joining the ticket, like he knew T was going to foul it up somehow sometime, and he'd eventually be president.

Anyhoo, I'll consign the can't stand Pence, but I'd take that resolution.
not a fan of Pence either but he's the picture of stability next to Trump. 

Offline Tereve Nam

• Shane Larkin
  • Tommy Points: 55
I do not care for Trump as a human. I will take a wait and see approach to his tenure as prez to see if he changes the way our gov does business for the better. The bar has been set really low.

Eisenhower told us to beware of the Military Industrial Complex (tool of the Deep State) in the 50ís. This is not a Trump made topic or concept by any stretch.

Is there any decent percentage of our elected officials that are not criminals of the highest order?

I am fascinated by the pass being given to the work done by our government over the last 100 years. Too many people are acting like they have been doing a great job compared to our current leadership. News flash its been a joke for 100 years. Murderers, theives and treasonous despicable behavior is all we have from our past presidents and elected officials.

Where was all the complaining and finger pointing for the last several decades?

Just to get a feel for some of this check out ďConfessions of an economic hitmanĒ by John Perkins. It will open your eyes if you are interested in truth and facts about our governments participation in crazy criminal activity. Its a good place to start but there is no shortage of info on this subject.
So, forget about Trump for a second...are you saying we should all let it go, and never implicate our elected officials in any crime?  That's the definition of 'above the law'.

By the way, I see it was your first post:  Welcome to CB forums where politics is the sport of the off-season.

Hey thanks for the warm welcome! Posted here way way back in the early days but before one of the purges. So I guess its a welcome back.

Definately not suggesting we let it all go and appreciate that you said ďforget about Trump for a secondĒ because that is an important exercise. Im confident(and saddened) that with enough effort we could find dispicable behavior and criminal activity behind anyone powerful enough to get to the White House.

What I dont want is a return to regular business if/when Trump is removed. IMO our governments idea of regular business has been and is a complete failure. Its so bad that I have found myself rooting in a sense for Trump despite how I feel about him as a person. Hoping against hope that he could effect some change in the nature of our governments behaviors being that he wasnt politically indoctrinated to ďthe processĒ

I cant understand why we havent been this upset about our leadership all along. All of a sudden we are concerned that our president is likely a criminal?

Im glad everyone is finally ticked off. Ive been mad for 30 plus years about it. I just hope we place the same level of scrutiny and rightousness on all of our elected officials and begin to demand that our leadership gets their collective you know what together.

Despite all the noise it still feels like dumping Trump would lead right back to the belly of the beast for us regular folk and our country. Hoping against hope again that I am wrong.

Cant wait for what I hope will be a glorious Celticís season to start for a much needed distraction.
ďDo what you want toĒ - Slomo

Cís go up by 41 against the Knicks
Tommy: ďAre we having fun yet?Ē
Mike G: ďOh we passed fun a long time ago. If you had the Knicks plus 40 you just lost your betĒ

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524
Just watched an hour of Fox News tonight. The mental gymnastics they are going through to downplay this Cohen plea deal and deflect blame from the president is Herculean. Also, they seem to think the Molly Tibbetts murder is a bigger political deal right now than the president being implicated in a felony.