Author Topic: Michael Cohen pleads guilty. Implicates a "candidate" for federal office(Trump)  (Read 7478 times)

Offline positivitize

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 600
  • Puns of steel
Hoo boy, Cohen says he committed a campaign finance violation in 2016 at the direction of an unnamed "candidate". First direct link of a crime to Trump at one of these trials.

Feels like we're halfway through the "Layla" arrest montage scene of Goodfellas right now.

<Sarcasm>I bet it was Hillary. IT WAS IN HER EMAILS </sarcasm>
Biasies:
Pro-Smart, Pro-Brown, Pro-Irving, Pro-Baynes

Anti-Nader, Anti-Yabu, Anti-Rozier, Anti-Morris

Online hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 529
So all in one day:

- Trump's personal lawyer pleads guilty to multiple felonies and will do jail time.
- His campaign manager's trial on 18 felony counts appears to be approaching a verdict, based in large part on the testimony of his deputy campaign manager
- His National Security Advisor's sentencing hearing for the felony he pled guilty to was pushed back at the request of prosecutors.

And last week prosecutors made sentencing recommendations for his foreign policy aide (Papadopoulus).

Policy and personality differences aside, how on Earth there are still people who see this man as a crusader against corruption completely escapes me. Maybe that's why so many increasingly contrived narratives about secret corruption fighting like the Q stuff keep popping up.

And yet none of this has to do with collusion with Russia.......

This is about the deep state/elites going after anyone  who worked with Trump or helped him get elected. They are trying to send a message for any outsider who decides to run for president in the future.....

I don't really care about your magic word. But I am very interested to hear how the deep state forced Trump to hire and work closely with all these felons. And the RNC, who hired Cohen as deputy finance chair.

Yeah, I'm glad Mueller is finally draining the swamp!

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1184
So all in one day:

- Trump's personal lawyer pleads guilty to multiple felonies and will do jail time.
- His campaign manager's trial on 18 felony counts appears to be approaching a verdict, based in large part on the testimony of his deputy campaign manager
- His National Security Advisor's sentencing hearing for the felony he pled guilty to was pushed back at the request of prosecutors.

And last week prosecutors made sentencing recommendations for his foreign policy aide (Papadopoulus).

Policy and personality differences aside, how on Earth there are still people who see this man as a crusader against corruption completely escapes me. Maybe that's why so many increasingly contrived narratives about secret corruption fighting like the Q stuff keep popping up.

This is about the deep state/elites going after anyone  who worked with Trump or helped him get elected. They are trying to send a message for any outsider who decides to run for president in the future.....

I don't really care about your magic word. But I am very interested to hear how the deep state forced Trump to hire and work closely with all these felons. And the RNC, who hired Cohen as deputy finance chair.

You do realize that Mueller sent 4 innocent men to jail for murders Whitey Bulger commited in Boston, correct? 2 of those innocent men died in prison....

You might want to do a little more research on your heroes.....

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88
Hoo boy, Cohen says he committed campaign finance violations in 2016 in coordination with and at the direction of an unnamed "candidate". First direct link of a crime to Trump at one of these trials.

Feels like we're halfway through the "Layla" arrest montage scene of Goodfellas right now.

That’s a big deal.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524
Cohen admits that the federal finance crimes were done to influence the election. I think that is huge.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27661
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Hoo boy, Cohen says he committed campaign finance violations in 2016 in coordination with and at the direction of an unnamed "candidate". First direct link of a crime to Trump at one of these trials.

That’s a big deal.

Yes and no.  Yes, in that Trump is linked to an actual crime.  That's a big deal.  I think we all knew that Cohen paid off multiple women to cover up affairs, but the confirmation is still a very bad look for him.  The liberal side of the media is already amplifying this into a huge deal.

No, in that campaign finance violations aren't usually treated as a very big deal.  Obama failed to disclose around $2 million in violations.  His campaign received a hefty fine.  Bernie paid a much smaller fine for some violations.  Almost all of this is done through the FEC, which only has limited power:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/donald-trump-has-little-to-fear-from-the-fec-over-stormy-daniels-payment.html

Now, could prosecutors make an exception for Trump, and try to come down hard on him?  Perhaps, but if they did I think it would well outside the norm.

At the same time, campaign finance issues tend to be pretty minor things. 

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline Surferdad

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 590
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I do not care for Trump as a human. I will take a wait and see approach to his tenure as prez to see if he changes the way our gov does business for the better. The bar has been set really low.

Eisenhower told us to beware of the Military Industrial Complex (tool of the Deep State) in the 50’s. This is not a Trump made topic or concept by any stretch.

Is there any decent percentage of our elected officials that are not criminals of the highest order?

I am fascinated by the pass being given to the work done by our government over the last 100 years. Too many people are acting like they have been doing a great job compared to our current leadership. News flash its been a joke for 100 years. Murderers, theives and treasonous despicable behavior is all we have from our past presidents and elected officials.

Where was all the complaining and finger pointing for the last several decades?

Just to get a feel for some of this check out “Confessions of an economic hitman” by John Perkins. It will open your eyes if you are interested in truth and facts about our governments participation in crazy criminal activity. Its a good place to start but there is no shortage of info on this subject.
So, forget about Trump for a second...are you saying we should all let it go, and never implicate our elected officials in any crime?  That's the definition of 'above the law'.

By the way, I see it was your first post:  Welcome to CB forums where politics is the sport of the off-season.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2087
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So all in one day:

You do realize that Mueller sent 4 innocent men to jail for murders Whitey Bulger commited in Boston, correct? 2 of those innocent men died in prison....

I did research on your research and it turns out to be hack nonsense, it took less than 10 seconds to find the judge who oversaw the lawsuit affirming that Mueller had zero involvement and is not even mentioned in the case. What do I do now?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/opinion/robert-mueller-smearing-complicit.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/04/13/hannity-attempts-link-mueller-whitey-bulger-don-hold/kDPSq2ek8xDTFiPZix4yoL/story.html 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:19:19 PM by fairweatherfan »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524
I think politically this is really bad for the Republicans in the midterms. I think much of the moderate voters that went Republican during the last election could defect and swing their votes to Democrats. Should be one of the more interesting mid terms in a while.

Offline blink

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 446
Cohen admits that the federal finance crimes were done to influence the election. I think that is huge.

What a crazy news day for Trump.  Almost simultaneously both Manafort gets convicted, and Cohen pleads guilty. 

Of course this is huge.  Wheels are coming off for Trump.  His campaign was a bunch of liars and criminals and basically one by one they are turning on him.  Expect Trump to do something drastic in the coming days.  The corner he is backed into is getting smaller.

Cohen's attorney Lanny Davis:

"Today he stood up and testified under oath that Donald Trump directed him to commit a crime by making payments to two women for the principal purpose of influencing an election. If those payments were a crime for Michael Cohen, then why wouldn't they be a crime for Donald Trump?"

https://twitter.com/LannyDavis/status/1032026098320789504

Offline Sophomore

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 214

That’s a big deal.

Yes and no.  Yes, in that Trump is linked to an actual crime.  That's a big deal.  I think we all knew that Cohen paid off multiple women to cover up affairs, but the confirmation is still a very bad look for him.  The liberal side of the media is already amplifying this into a huge deal.

No, in that campaign finance violations aren't usually treated as a very big deal.  Obama failed to disclose around $2 million in violations.  His campaign received a hefty fine.  Bernie paid a much smaller fine for some violations.  Almost all of this is done through the FEC, which only has limited power:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/donald-trump-has-little-to-fear-from-the-fec-over-stormy-daniels-payment.html

Now, could prosecutors make an exception for Trump, and try to come down hard on him?  Perhaps, but if they did I think it would well outside the norm.

At the same time, campaign finance issues tend to be pretty minor things.

It’s true that campaign finance violations are usually not a big deal. This one is a little unusual in that it wasn’t a technical issue, and because the candidate specifically directed the payments and then denied - vociferously- that he had any knowledge of the payments. He also personally attacked the credibility and morals of the people claiming the payments were made.  I don’t think any of that is true about Bernie and Obama’s campaigns, or that Nernie or O personally directed the violations.

That said, I think a decision re what to do about this will be made in time as the full picture develops. If this was all he did I doubt he’d get more than a slap on the wrist. However, I doubt - very much - that this is all he did. At some point,doesn’t this pattern of furious denials that turn out to be lies start to make you wonder whether his other denials are also lies?  The other day, when he described John Dean as a “RAT” ... I mean ... that is not the way law-abiding people describe cooperating with prosecutors to help them prove a crime, especially where it’s clear the crime was serious and very real. Trump’s criticism is that Dean didn’t help cover up a crime. What does it tell you about the man and what he’s doing now?

Offline Sophomore

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 214
I am also remembering just now that John Edwards was prosecuted for using illegal campaign  contributions to pay off his mistress. So there is that. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/john-edwards-indictment-expected-today/2011/06/03/AGQwEuHH_story.html?utm_term=.2af3562e73ec

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27661
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I am also remembering just now that John Edwards was prosecuted for using illegal campaign  contributions to pay off his mistress. So there is that. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/john-edwards-indictment-expected-today/2011/06/03/AGQwEuHH_story.html?utm_term=.2af3562e73ec

True, although the prosecution was basically unprecedented and he wasn’t convicted.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Online hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett
So all in one day:

Did I call him a hero? No. He's draining the [dang] swamp though, finally. Good riddance to all of them

Online hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett

Yep. People can try to spin it, and will try to spin it however they want ,but this is a huge deal, and it seems this is only the beginning of what Mueller has coming for Trump.