Author Topic: Over/Under on Westbrook getting 16 rebounds in last game  (Read 4855 times)

Re: Over/Under on Westbrook getting 16 rebounds in last game
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The triple double is the most meaningless, fake stat that ever existed.  A line of 11-10-9 is no less valuable or impactful than a line of 10-10-10.  Yet so many people have been brainwashed by the hype-men in the media to believe that it somehow is.

Good for Russ if he wants to chase after a meaningless stat, I couldn't care less.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Do we think it's a coincidence that 3 of Westbrook's best rebounding games of the season have come in the last 4 games (with 15,16, 7, 18)?

So here's my prediction:  Westbrook initially get's 16 rebounds.  But some Reddit user points out that the scorekeeper incorrectly gave one of Jerami Grant's rebounds to Westbrook, so it's retroactively taken away.  Westbrook technically ends up avg 9.9875, but all the broadcasters call it 10 and show it as 10.0 anyway, with only Jeff Van Gundy (during any ABC broadcasts) and Charles Barkley (during the TNT shows) speaking out against it.

Barkley: Listen, I love Westbrook, I think he's a great kid, what he did last year was phenomenal, I think he had a great year this year, but he didn't average no triple double.

Shaq: You just jealous.  He just jealous Ernie (said while Barkley's speaking).

Ernie:  So Charles, you're telling me, the numbers say 10.0, that's what the numbers say.  This isn't something special they're doing just for Westbrook here.  It's the math.

Kenny:  But with rounding!

Shaq:  Chuck don't know no math.

Barkley:  I know I had more triple doubles than you!

Shaq: Psh, please.  Count the rings.

Barkely:  How about I go count Kobe's rings.

Shaq:  Still more than you.  Still more than you.  Even Kenny got more than you.

Goes to commercial with them arguing.  Something like that I'm sure.

TP for the dialogue, which is spot on.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The triple double is the most meaningless, fake stat that ever existed.  A line of 11-10-9 is no less valuable or impactful than a line of 10-10-10.  Yet so many people have been brainwashed by the hype-men in the media to believe that it somehow is.

Good for Russ if he wants to chase after a meaningless stat, I couldn't care less.
I  certainly get your larger point but exactly 2 times in the entire history of the NBA has a triple double been averaged over the course of a season. I have a hard time calling something so rare meaningless
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 06:10:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I  certainly get your larger point but exactly 2 times in the entire history of the NBA has a triple double been averaged over the course of a season. I have a hard time calling something so rare meaningless

But why should I care about some arbitrary line of "10"?

Westbrook averaged 10.7 rebounds and 10.4 assists last season.  But had he averaged 9.7 rebounds and 11.4 assists it wouldn't be a triple-double and most people would look at it as less of an accomplishment.  Yet I would argue that averaging 1 more assist and 1 less rebound would have been more valuable to his team.

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm sure that he'll get 16 rebounds because, just like Jordan and Kobe, he's all about his stats ::).

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Westbrook averaged 10.7 rebounds and 10.4 assists last season.  But had he averaged 9.7 rebounds and 11.4 assists it wouldn't be a triple-double and most people would look at it as less of an accomplishment.  Yet I would argue that averaging 1 more assist and 1 less rebound would have been more valuable to his team.

It means something because it's very hard to be significant in 3 major areas of the game. Westbrook is 6'2" shoes off. For him to avg 10 RPG every night is incredible.

Rebounding is why Players like Chris Paul, Steven Nash, Rondo, Jason Kidd, could never do it.

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Westbrook with 1 point but 12 assists and 11 rebounds at halftime.

Just 5 more rebounds to go.

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 09:40:33 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

It means something because it's very hard to be significant in 3 major areas of the game. Westbrook is 6'2" shoes off. For him to avg 10 RPG every night is incredible.

Rebounding is why Players like Chris Paul, Steven Nash, Rondo, Jason Kidd, could never do it.

I remember Kidd getting a lot of 10-10-10 ones. He couldnt shoot, but could grab long rebounds and throw lobs full court, so he got quite a few I think. Rondo, had he a normal healthy career as a starter, would have likely had quite a few as well.

Kidd and Rondo were stronger, and Paul and Nash more slightly built, but their respective schemes usually had the latter two position for an outlet pass off a rebound or inbound so they could run off makes. Maybe that all makes a difference.

But I always thought the triple double represented really dominating a game in possibly the most critical areas.

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 10:15:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Do we think it's a coincidence that 3 of Westbrook's best rebounding games of the season have come in the last 4 games (with 15,16, 7, 18)?

So here's my prediction:  Westbrook initially get's 16 rebounds.  But some Reddit user points out that the scorekeeper incorrectly gave one of Jerami Grant's rebounds to Westbrook, so it's retroactively taken away.  Westbrook technically ends up avg 9.9875, but all the broadcasters call it 10 and show it as 10.0 anyway, with only Jeff Van Gundy (during any ABC broadcasts) and Charles Barkley (during the TNT shows) speaking out against it.

Barkley: Listen, I love Westbrook, I think he's a great kid, what he did last year was phenomenal, I think he had a great year this year, but he didn't average no triple double.

Shaq: You just jealous.  He just jealous Ernie (said while Barkley's speaking).

Ernie:  So Charles, you're telling me, the numbers say 10.0, that's what the numbers say.  This isn't something special they're doing just for Westbrook here.  It's the math.

Kenny:  But with rounding!

Shaq:  Chuck don't know no math.

Barkley:  I know I had more triple doubles than you!

Shaq: Psh, please.  Count the rings.

Barkely:  How about I go count Kobe's rings.

Shaq:  Still more than you.  Still more than you.  Even Kenny got more than you.

Goes to commercial with them arguing.  Something like that I'm sure.

lol TP

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

20 rebounds, 19 assists... and six points. Seems unselfish  ;D ;D ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

20 rebounds, 19 assists... and six points. Seems unselfish  ;D ;D ;D

I am sure he figured that if his teammates were giving him free rebounds, then he could dish out a few extra assists to pad their scoring #s.

Even if it was a little forced, I am still happy for him that he was able to average a triple double [again]. It would have been pretty lame to average 9.99 rebounds.

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Russ would be better suited to play on the And-1 tour

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 10:59:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Obvious padding stats is obvious

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 11:13:38 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
this level of obvious stat padding is stupid.  worry about trying to win a ring Russ, not your individual stats.

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 01:28:40 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am kind of happy with him getting this achievement.
Even though basketball wise it is meaningless.
It won't change anything.

Along with the MVP award (I have expressed my thoughts about that extensively), his team USA play and making finals with 2 other MVPs, this is, and my guess will be, the biggest achievement of his career.
He won't win a title, make the finals anymore, so let him have his raw stats and the majority of superficial NBA followers.

They deserve each other.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."