Author Topic: Starting lineup next year with Hayward/Tatum?  (Read 4901 times)

Starting lineup next year with Hayward/Tatum?
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
was just thinking about next year once Hayward/Tatum come back.

This year, brad has liked to start with a traditional lineup with horford at the 4 and baynes at the 5. But what do we do next year when you have Hayward back who should immediately slide into the 3 spot.

Clearly the best 5 man lineup would be Irving/brown/hayward/Tatum/Horford in terms of talent. But it is small. Or do you put someone as talented as Tatum on the bench but essentially use him as a 5th starter?

its a good problem to have, but something I was thinking of. I'm sure Brad will figure it out.

Re: Starting lineup next year with Hayward/Tatum?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics keep a strong defensive big, I like the idea of convincing one of them to be a Manu style reserve.  Basically starter minutes, crunch time player that just happens to come off the bench.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Well, this year should not count for Tatum at all because he was really playing Hayward's minutes. So next year is Tatum's real rookie year. :)

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 12:29:57 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
was just thinking about next year once Hayward/Tatum come back.

This year, brad has liked to start with a traditional lineup with horford at the 4 and baynes at the 5. But what do we do next year when you have Hayward back who should immediately slide into the 3 spot.

Clearly the best 5 man lineup would be Irving/brown/hayward/Tatum/Horford in terms of talent. But it is small. Or do you put someone as talented as Tatum on the bench but essentially use him as a 5th starter?

its a good problem to have, but something I was thinking of. I'm sure Brad will figure it out.
I'd expect that to generally be the starting lineup but for it to be adjusted based on Horford's ability to defend the other team's center.  Also Hayward could slide to the 2 spot and put Brown not Tatum to the bench. 

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Well, this year should not count for Tatum at all because he was really playing Hayward's minutes. So next year is Tatum's real rookie year. :)

TP!  ;D
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Barring a big trade pretty clear to me our starting lineup for next season will be what it was for the first 5 minutes of this season. Subject to the occasional matchup adjustment necessitating insertion of an additional big into lineup.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Starting lineup for the season opener @Cleveland was

Kyrie - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford

As things stand right now, I fully expect CBS to go with the same lineup next season.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Good problem to have.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If the Celtics keep a strong defensive big, I like the idea of convincing one of them to be a Manu style reserve.  Basically starter minutes, crunch time player that just happens to come off the bench.

If there's any young player who is mature enough to take on a Hondo/McHale perennial 6MOY candidate role, it's Jaylen Brown.

Not saying I think it should or will happen, but he would be the guy. And, he could sub for anyone at the 2-5 spots and our lineup would adjust seamlessly.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Starting lineup for the season opener @Cleveland was

Kyrie - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford

As things stand right now, I fully expect CBS to go with the same lineup next season.

Yeah, thats gonna be the starting lineup, with, I imagine, Hayward and Brown or Tatum subbing out at the 6 min mark and checking back in with the second unit. 

There's gonna be a lot of ball whipping around and scoring with that first group.  Gonna be scary good.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
As others said as well, I can't see next years starting lineup as anything but:
Kyrie / Brown / Gordon / Tatum / Al

Well unless DA goes all crazy on a big trade....

If Brad was willing to start Tatum at the start of the season, he will def stick with him for a starter for next season after how well he has played all year.  Having 5 guys who can all shoot the 3 is going to be fun to watch.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Intruiging to think of:
Irving, Hayward, brown, tatum and say Monroe or baynes.  Second unit bolstered by Horford?

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don't see any way that Horford is not in the starting lineup. It simply doesn't make sense. He's the leader on defense and his passing and spacing is essential for the offense.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
One of Marcus or Terry won't be here next year.  And one of Baynes/Monroe won't be here next year.  its gonna look something like this, and it'll be scary:

Kyrie-Jaylen-Tatum-Hayward-Al to open the game.

Sub in Marcus or Terry, and Theis at 5 or 6 minute mark or Hayward and Tatum.

Second unit Marcus or Terry, Hayward, Tatum, Theis and Monroe or Baynes.

Larkin rounds out a very very solid 9 man rotation.  Semi is next wing up.  Yabu, next big....

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 04:16:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't see any way that Horford is not in the starting lineup. It simply doesn't make sense. He's the leader on defense and his passing and spacing is essential for the offense.
Makes a second better unit.  Brads gonna have a GOOD headache next year.  One thing with this team being this deep and strong I wonder if Smart will be moved.  Rozier has stepped up big time, Gordon back who like Al is a do everything guy and Irving of course.  Where do minutes come

Irving, brown, Hayward, smart, rozier and larkin is a cheap solid 3rd string pg
Think about bird next year as well