Author Topic: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors  (Read 23125 times)

Re: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2018, 07:53:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly I have a hard time letting go of JB let alone Tatum in a trade for KL.

Think like a GM. You have lesser talents (at this stage) but who have shown nothing but improvement in their short careers on cost controlled rookie scale contracts. You ha e your wing position locked down in a 3 headed monster of Tatum/Brown/Hayward.

Trading for a redundant position makes zero sense. If the player we were acquiring were Anthony Davis different story. But for KL, I just don’t see this as improving is that much on the court while dramatically reducing our salary cap capabilities.

Honestly, I think Jaylen's ceiling is Kawhi with slightly more athleticism.

But even at his floor, I think Jaylen would be a fringe all-star and solid starter on a contending team. (Again, as his floor)

I mean, great-to-elite two way players are honestly hard to come by these days.
I could easily see Jaylen being a fixture on All Defense teams starting next year. I could also see him start making All Star teams in 2-3 years. I really think Brown and Tatum should be keepers. I think they both have ceilings as top 10 players in the league.
and Kawhi is a top 5 player right now (or at least was before the injury)

Kawhi has also basically gone MIA on the Spurs as well.

It's one thing to be injured, but for the Spurs to not know where you are and for you to not even be with the organization during a playoff run cheering the guys on. Really?!?!

Also, you keep hearing Pop and the organization referring to it as "Kawhi and his group", which tells me his group is influencing everything and Kawhi is fine with that. I understand Kawhi is humble and not a drama queen, but the fact that he's barely said anything all season about all the drama/reports tells me something is legitimately up. Also tells me there may a red flag about him and that a trade for him is just way too risky.

And as @nickagneta said, if Ainge has even a tiny doubt about Kawhi re-signing in 2019, then he isn't considering a Kawhi trade, period. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2018, 08:09:13 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I never thought I'd say this about a Dukie but I'm not giving up Tatum in a deal for KL either.  And JB is probably our SG of the future.  I'm OK with rolling the dice on those two becoming all-star caliber players.

« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I never thought I'd say this about a Dukie but I'm not giving up Tatum in a deal for KL either.  And JB is probably our SG of the future.  I'm OK with rolling the dice on those two becoming all-star caliber players.

Leonard is also 26 (going to turn 27 in June).

Meanwhile, JB is 21 years old, and Tatum just turned 20.

Keep the young core and build a long term dynasty with this group (and even if their "title window" ends in 5-7 years, they can build another one with JB and JT as they should be between 26-28 y/o by then only)

« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Keep the young core and build a long term dynasty with this group (and even if their "title window" ends in 5-7 years, they can build another one with JB and JT as they should be between 26-28 y/o by then only)

How many fanbases have predicted long-term dynasties due to having a couple of great building blocks, only to see those dreams shattered by the reality that most guys don’t reach their max potential?

The Celts paired Paul Pierce at various times with some combo of Antoine Walker, Joe Johnson, Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer.  Then, it was Big Al, Gerald, Tony and Delonte. All had high expectations; none of them made much noise.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

How many fanbases have predicted long-term dynasties due to having a couple of great building blocks, only to see those dreams shattered by the reality that most guys don’t reach their max potential?

The Celts paired Paul Pierce at various times with some combo of Antoine Walker, Joe Johnson, Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer.  Then, it was Big Al, Gerald, Tony and Delonte. All had high expectations; none of them made much noise.

I just think Tatum and Brown are both really special.

See how they played today? Looked like 10 year vets out there and made big plays all throughout.

Also we saw an injured Kyrie and Smart in the building cheering the C's on. Where was Kawhi for his team's Game 1? Shouldn't he be cheering his teammates on? And now reports say he's officially out for the entire season. Looks like a red flag to me overall in this bizarre situation. Makes you wonder...

« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2018, 01:02:24 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I was always for the Butler's and PG13's and even DMC's if they were available.

I am probably still on board going after Kawhi or Davis.

But, I'm totally fine if we run it back. This team may very well be good enough to win a title when healthy.

We are in a position where we don't need to overpay to get anyone.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2018, 01:07:38 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

But, I'm totally fine if we run it back. This team may very well be good enough to win a title when healthy.

If it's Davis then you got to really press on that deal. It's rare to get a guy on your team who could put up something like 30/20 a night or two each week.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

If it's Davis then you got to really press on that deal. It's rare to get a guy on your team who could put up something like 30/20 a night or two each week.

Our bench would be awful if we even traded for Davis. Lack of depth and quality options in the bench.

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Our bench would be awful if we even traded for Davis. Lack of depth and quality options in the bench.
I think Smart, Theis, Baynes, and Monroe would be a good starting point for a bench.  Rozier may or may not have to be included in the trade.  Larkin could be brought back.  Plus there are players like Yabu, Semi, Nader, Bird, Allen, etc. most of which would be back.

I mean Kawhi doesn't make all that much.  Boston doesn't need much past Tatum, Morris, and Yabu to get it done financially (Nader & Semi added in works for example).  Add in the Sacto pick and Boston's 2019 1st and that gets it done.

The rotation post-trade would be something like this

PG - Irving, Rozier, Larkin
SG - Brown, Smart
SF - Hayward, Leonard, BOS 18 rookie
PF - Leonard, Horford, Theis
C - Horford, Baynes, Monroe

That to me is a plenty good enough bench and an incredible starting 5.  To acquire Davis, Rozier probably needs to be in the trade (for salary), but the starting 5 is even more balanced so the C's would still make that trade.  That said, Davis won't be available, but Leonard absolutely could be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I think Smart, Theis, Baynes, and Monroe would be a good starting point for a bench.  Rozier may or may not have to be included in the trade.  Larkin could be brought back.  Plus there are players like Yabu, Semi, Nader, Bird, Allen, etc. most of which would be back.

I mean Kawhi doesn't make all that much.  Boston doesn't need much past Tatum, Morris, and Yabu to get it done financially (Nader & Semi added in works for example).  Add in the Sacto pick and Boston's 2019 1st and that gets it done.

SG - Brown, Smart

That to me is a plenty good enough bench and an incredible starting 5.  To acquire Davis, Rozier probably needs to be in the trade (for salary), but the starting 5 is even more balanced so the C's would still make that trade.  That said, Davis won't be available, but Leonard absolutely could be.
Leonard starting at PF. Come on, man. That's worse than Crowder at PF and he's awful.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

SG - Brown, Smart

Leonard starting at PF. Come on, man. That's worse than Crowder at PF and he's awful.
Have you looked around the league at the starting PF's.  Leonard or Hayward aren't that much smaller then most of them.  I mean James Johnson and Ersan Ilyasova (and I know it is Saric when Embiid is back) were the starting PF's in a playoff game.  The other game had Rudy Gay and Draymond Green as the starting PF's.  Those games aren't atypical either.  The occasional game against a team like Cousins/Davis you make a size adjustment, but by and large Leonard or Hayward would be perfectly fine starting at PF. 

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

SG - Brown, Smart

Let's assume Rozier has to be included. If I am Pop, I want him included.

So he's not on the bench. The next year you have to max out Leonard and Irving giving you 4 max contracts. When Horford's contract runs out you have to max out Brown and still retain Horford. How exactly are you retaining Smart, Monroe and Baynes given that reality? Monroe and Baynes are both going to demand MLE money. You can't give it to both of them. Smart could get a ridiculous RFA offer. The financial reality is you most likely aren't keeping both Monroe and Baynes. And you might have to pass on Smart because he is too expensive. So the rotation looks more like this

PG - Irving, Larkin
SG - Brown
C - Horford, Baynes

So a bench of Larkin, Theis, Baynes, a late 1st round rookie, Jabari Bird, Kadeem Allen and vet mins and 2nd rounders. A team that can't rebound to save its life with no bench all for a guy with at this point a massive question mark on him given his health and possible attitude problems who is extremely redundant on this team.

« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

SG - Brown, Smart

So he's not on the bench. The next year you have to max out Leonard and Irving giving you 4 max contracts. When Horford's contract runs out you have to max out Brown and still retain Horford. How exactly are you retaining Smart, Monroe and Baynes given that reality? Monroe and Baynes are both going to demand MLE money. You can't give it to both of them. Smart could get a ridiculous RFA offer. The financial reality is you most likely aren't keeping both Monroe and Baynes. And you might have to pass on Smart because he is too expensive. So the rotation looks more like this

PG - Irving, Larkin
SG - Brown
C - Horford, Baynes

So a bench of Larkin, Theis, Baynes, a late 1st round rookie, Jabari Bird, Kadeem Allen and vet mins and 2nd rounders. A team that can't rebound to save its life with no bench all for a guy with at this point a massive question mark on him given his health and possible attitude problems who is extremely redundant on this team.
There is absolutely no reason at all why the team wouldn't retain Smart.  They've consistently said the luxury tax isn't a problem for a team that is a contender.  That team is a contender, so Smart easily can be retained.  And I have no idea why you think the team couldn't keep Monroe and Baynes at MLE type money.  Again, it is a luxury tax issue only and the ownership should be willing to pay the tax for a contender.  If they aren't, then we might as well give up on fielding a championship team, because it just won't happen.  I'd worry about the 19/20 season when it was that time.  No reason to make moves now that might affect the future when you have a legit contender now. 

« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

SG - Brown, Smart

PG - Irving, Larkin
SG - Brown
C - Horford, Baynes

There is absolutely no reason at all why the team wouldn't retain Smart.  They've consistently said the luxury tax isn't a problem for a team that is a contender.  That team is a contender, so Smart easily can be retained.  And I have no idea why you think the team couldn't keep Monroe and Baynes at MLE type money.  Again, it is a luxury tax issue only and the ownership should be willing to pay the tax for a contender.  If they aren't, then we might as well give up on fielding a championship team, because it just won't happen.  I'd worry about the 19/20 season when it was that time.  No reason to make moves now that might affect the future when you have a legit contender now.
How exactly do you give one MLE to two players in the same year exactly?

« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

SG - Brown, Smart

PG - Irving, Larkin
SG - Brown
C - Horford, Baynes

How exactly do you give one MLE to two players in the same year exactly?
they don't have to use the MLE at all, as they can offer each 120% of their previous year salary.  That would be around 5.2 million for Baynes and 6 million for Monroe.  The taxpayer MLE is projected around 5.29 million, while the non-taxpayer MLE is projected around 8.57 million.  Assuming, Boston is a taxpayer they could sign both Baynes and Monroe and still have the taxpayer MLE to add someone else.  Now if either of those guys got offered the non-taxpayer MLE or greater from some other team, Boston wouldn't be able to match those offers anyway (assuming it is a taxpayer which it would be in this scenario).