Author Topic: Guershon Yabusele  (Read 18242 times)

Re: Guershon Yabusele
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
This  off-season seems pretty pivotal for Yabu.   If he comes to camp an improved player, I think he’ll find 10 mpg in the interest of integrating GH gradually.  If he performs well, Cs have an asset they can bring along or adds value in a trade.

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Not to sound like a jerk, but I just laugh when I see folks on here saying Yabusele "flashed lots of potential" this season and "showed some good stuff". WHEN?? Felt like he never even played much anyways (as expected) and when he did, he just bricked open looks and looked really, really sluggish out there (on both ends).

Lets cool it on the "Yabusele can be Millsap or Draymond" predictions and frankly he's going to have to put in a lot of work this off-season. I still think he's 2 years away (at minimum) from being a solid NBA contributor to be honest (sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's IMO).

I'd love to be wrong and wish the best for Yabusele, but clearly this is a pivotal offseason for him. If he does well, he can be a nice, solid role player for us along with an improved Ojeyele and co.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Not to sound like a jerk, but I just laugh when I see folks on here saying Yabusele "flashed lots of potential" this season and "showed some good stuff". WHEN?? Felt like he never even played much anyways (as expected) and when he did, he just bricked open looks and looked really, really sluggish out there (on both ends).

Lets cool it on the "Yabusele can be Millsap or Draymond" predictions and frankly he's going to have to put in a lot of work this off-season. I still think he's 2 years away (at minimum) from being a solid NBA contributor to be honest (sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's IMO).

I'd love to be wrong and wish the best for Yabusele, but clearly this is a pivotal offseason for him. If he does well, he can be a nice, solid role player for us along with an improved Ojeyele and co.

This whole post is waaaaay too harsh. His bench cheerleading game was on point. Shows a lot of potential for the dancing bear going forward. :laugh:
#JKJB

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
dead wood (at least imo)

The longer we keep him, the more his trade value will go down.

Rozier + Yabu + #27 for the highest pick we can possibly get
(or something like that)

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Dud!!!! Picking these overseas guys are a huge gamble..maybe 1 out of 30 makes it to nba and have great career
Why have you given up on a rookie after ~30 games?
This.  Yabu showed a few flashes and also made some bad rookie boo-boos, but has hardly been given a fair shot.

1 out of 30 doesn't sound right to me.  I think it's much higher odds of success since so few are taken and those who are taken are the cream of the crop.  Without even trying: Dirk, Tony Parker, Duncan, Ginobilli, Dennis Shroeder, Valencunas, Ilgauskas, Vucevic, Vlade Divac, Andre Kirilenko, Mutombo, Yao, Detlef Schrempf...
Agree. People have jumped the gun completely on dismissing him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Can we replace him and Baynes with Drummond ?

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Can we replace him and Baynes with Drummond ?

No

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yabu’s future is up to him. He’s in a battle with Semi for back up minutes and Semi winning that contest to date. Yabu is longer and has more offensive upside than Semi but that alone means little. Semi by far the better versatile defender.

He should lose some weight too.

I’m still hopeful Yabu will become a contributor. With our upcoming salary demands it’s important to have players under rookie deals perform.

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Semi and Guershon are competing for the same minutes not really.

Semi is a big wing, Guershon is a big Big.

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Dud!!!! Picking these overseas guys are a huge gamble..maybe 1 out of 30 makes it to nba and have great career
this is a common practice here, and folks do not seem eager to learn from past actions.

remember bradley's first year? he was written off by so many posters here.

remember rozier's first year? another draft mistake by ainge.

each and every season, cbers pass all encompassing, final, and absolute judgements of rookies.

as other players have shown, given time, training, and patience they sometimes pay off. i am not saying yabusele will be a star, or even a rotation player. what i am saying is that it is way to early for many of the pronouncements being posted here.

sigh....and yet once more i ask all us grasshoppers to be patient. let's revisit this thread in 2-3 years and see then.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
this is a common practice here, and folks do not seem eager to learn from past actions.

each and every season, cbers pass all encompassing, final, and absolute judgements of rookies.

as other players have shown, given time, training, and patience they sometimes pay off. i am not saying yabusele will be a star, or even a rotation player. what i am saying is that it is way to early for many of the pronouncements being posted here.

sigh....and yet once more i ask all us grasshoppers to be patient. let's revisit this thread in 2-3 years and see then.

This. Yabu did not look like an NBA player this season but he's got a great combination of strength and quickness and showed a lot of potential as a shooter in the D League. There's no reason to think he can't get better and become a solid-to-good player. Whether or not he does remains to be seen but I'll give him another 2 seasons to figure something out.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't think Semi and Guershon are competing for the same minutes not really.

Semi is a big wing, Guershon is a big Big.

But don’t you think Yabu list minutes due to Semi’s superior defense? I do.

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The Draymond Green comparison is lazy at best. Not every sub-6'9" power forward with guard skills is another Draymond; Draymond is an outlier and a unique one at that, who handles and passes like a PG, rebounds and protects the rim like a center, and plays all-NBA defense while posing as a threat from behind the arc (although, this year he only shot 30% from 3). He's like a combination of Boris Diaw and Dennis Rodman in the strangest, yet highly effective, way.

From his time with the Celtics, all I've seen from Yabusele is the ability to hit 3's and rebound well enough. The footage of him pre-Celtics is full of drives highlighted by quick crossovers and monstrous finishes in traffic. I don't see Yabusele's pre-NBA game translating to the NBA because his physical attributes are less incredible at this level of basketball. He has the weight and strength for sure, but his quickness and agility at this level are nothing to write home about, and that will prevent him from being the beast he was prior to the league. I thought he was a reach at the time and still feel that way now.

More like the French Anthony Bennett :-\.
That's a little bit premature.

Plus, it's not like we missed a gem after him. LeVert or Siakam would be nice pieces, but I'm not losing any sleep over missing those guys

Those two are certainly gems in my book :), and they would have been great, here, imo. Ugh.

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2018, 07:50:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I wouldn't put Bradley in the same category, quite honestly, as he was hurt for the vast majority of his rookie year and then spent time rehabbing in Maine, but when he got his chance in the final game of the regular season against the Knicks, that year, he really showed out. I just don't think that the circumstances are/were remotely comparable :-\.

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2018, 07:58:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I would like to see what he could do if he was 20-30 pounds lighter. He’s listed at 260 now and his backside is the size of Lyons.

Quick-for-260 is not quick.