Author Topic: Jabari Bird  (Read 7167 times)

Re: Jabari Bird
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 08:07:03 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I would sit either Brown or Tatum these last few games and really take a good look at Bird. he looks like with minutes he's a player. Keep in mind HE was the man at Cal, not Jaylen.

Jaylen Brown averaged 14.6 ppg, 2nd on the Cal team. Bird averaged 10.4 ppg that same year as a junior. He averaged 14.3 ppg as a senior. So no, he was not the MAN.

I have serious doubts that Jabari will ever be a truly useful NBA player, but there's a better than zero percent chance that he could help in small spurts in the playoffs. Nader seems to be an actual detriment and I can't think of a situation where he would help.

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://sports.yahoo.com/jabari-bird-fighting-celtics-playoff-222712227.html

Celtics head coach Brad Stevens is among those who have been impressed with the play of Bird who was selected by Boston with the 56th pick in last June's NBA draft. As far as Bird's future beyond the two remaining regular season games, Stevens is quick to acknowledge that decision won't be his to make.

"Those aren't my discussions or my job," Stevens said before adding, "But at the end of the day, I think he is playing well. He's doing some good things. I thought offensively he was pretty good, especially early. He's done a good job in the last couple of games and will probably play some of the next two."

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What is the option with Nader so that the Celts can keep Bird on the playoff roster?

Just cut or can send down to NBDL on a pro rated salary?

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 01:27:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Because Bird’s two-way contract is for one year — most are generally for two-year terms – he is a restricted free agent this summer and could draw offers from other clubs. The Celtics, if they submit a qualifying offer to Bird, would have the right to match any offer, but Bird, because of his potential, could draw a contract too expensive for the Celtics to match.

Signing Bird to a multiyear deal now would eliminate his status as a restricted free agent, but again, it would require another player on the roster to be waived.

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 02:41:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You really have learned nothing from your experience with Jordan Mickey, have you?

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 02:59:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
You really have learned nothing from your experience with Jordan Mickey, have you?

wow you got me

bravo.  Why don't you also criticize me about being pro Tatum, Sabonis prior to the draft?

Weren't you the one, that wanted to keep Rondo forever/while he was killing the team on defense?

But these things have nothing to do with Bird right?

Better to stick to the topic

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Bird ain't going to be playing for thiis team in the playoffs. Heck, I would be stunned to see Nader get minutes in anything but garbage time..

You don't cut a guy who has traveled, practiced, and played on the team for the whole year, with just 2 games left, to replace him with a guy that put up decent stats for 20 games in the G League and had good games against the 2nd and 3rd string players of tanking teams. You reward Nader with a trip to the playoffs.

Again, I would bet any amount of TPs that Bird is not on the 15 man roster next year and wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in the G League next year. He simply isn't that good.

Also, I doubt Nader is on the team next year either. With a healthy team, I see the end of the bench being our draft pick from this year and a couple of vet mins with experience and some skill.

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2018, 04:15:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
One aspect of the 2-way player thing I don’t understand— if Cs don’t sign him now, is he obligated to the Cs for next year or is he a free agent?   I understand that signing him now brings him here for the playoffs and next season,  but I haven’t seen how not signing him obligates him to the Cs — unless the 2-way terms include a multi-year commitment.

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2018, 04:30:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
One aspect of the 2-way player thing I don’t understand— if Cs don’t sign him now, is he obligated to the Cs for next year or is he a free agent?   I understand that signing him now brings him here for the playoffs and next season,  but I haven’t seen how not signing him obligates him to the Cs — unless the 2-way terms include a multi-year commitment.
He becomes a restricted free agent after the season, I think.

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Because Bird’s two-way contract is for one year — most are generally for two-year terms – he is a restricted free agent this summer and could draw offers from other clubs. The Celtics, if they submit a qualifying offer to Bird, would have the right to match any offer, but Bird, because of his potential, could draw a contract too expensive for the Celtics to match.

Signing Bird to a multiyear deal now would eliminate his status as a restricted free agent, but again, it would require another player on the roster to be waived.

I suppose its possible that some team offers him a deal, but I don't see him getting close to a mid-level or biannual exemption.

Plus, because there is less money to go around, veteran 3D players who have already proven themselves will be available at similar costs. I seriously doubt some d-league games and a couple end-of-the-season garbage time games will be enough to get a team to risk enough money and years that would make the Celtics balk at the contract and not match.

Especially when it is so very obvious that CBS likes him.