Poll

Would you release Nader so Jabari Bird can be playoff eligible?

Yes
35 (56.5%)
No
23 (37.1%)
Other
4 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: POLL: Dump Nader and sign Bird to a standard NBA contract to be playoff eligible  (Read 6228 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Personally, I would contemplate such a move if we really had a shot at getting into the NBA Finals this year but since both Kyrie and Hayward aren't going to return, I don't see why we should cut Nader now, as an end-of-bench player isn't going to make the difference for us anyways.
This is my exact feeling on this. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
No. As better as Bird is compared to Nader, it would be a waste of contract if you signed him full time this year. Better sign him next year full time for cap flexibility.

TP Agreed.  I'm not sure of the cap ramifications or what type of contract they can offer it's not as if he is going to make a difference in the playoffs this year to win us a game or a series.   

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nader is on a 3 year deal.  Cutting him only makes it that much harder to stay under the luxury tax going forward.  No way I'd do that just to get Jabari Bird a few minutes of PT in a year where Kyrie and Hayward are out.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston_celtics/

not all years guaranteed I believe

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Nader is on a 3 year deal.  Cutting him only makes it that much harder to stay under the luxury tax going forward.  No way I'd do that just to get Jabari Bird a few minutes of PT in a year where Kyrie and Hayward are out.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston_celtics/

not all years guaranteed I believe

Thank you,   TP.  Although $450 K is guaranteed next year, so I wouldn't do it.  http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/abdel-nader-20264/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:12:15 PM by libermaniac »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I agree that the marginal bump we might get from Bird isn’t worth the cap trouble - seems to be unanimous.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I remember when people were excited about nadar.  I look forward to reading a similar thread about Byrd in the future.

Forget those two. I still believe in James Young.

Mike

Ditto ;D. He still younger than both, because potential ::), lol ;D. Ugh.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I agree that the marginal bump we might get from Bird isn’t worth the cap trouble - seems to be unanimous.
That AND the fact that with injuries I'd say we will all be happy with winning a series.  If we were close to winning a second round one and Bird would help I'd say its a no brainer
Is bird a better nba player right now that Nader YES.  But there are a lot of other factors

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Probably not a real dilemma.  Marcus Smart's $4.5 million will be coming off the books this year as will Shane Larkin's $1.5 million in salary.  Bird could easily be sign with the money saved not resigning those two.

Greg Monroe's deal is also up at $5 mil, and Aaron Baynes at $4.5 mil. 

But, for what it's worth Nader could probably traded to someone for a second round pick or an expiring contract next season to clear room.

I'm pro Bird he reminds me a lot of Tony Allen only he has a jump shot. 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Probably not a real dilemma.  Marcus Smart's $4.5 million will be coming off the books this year as will Shane Larkin's $1.5 million in salary.  Bird could easily be sign with the money saved not resigning those two.

But, for what it's worth Nader could probably traded to someone for a second round pick or an expiring contract next season to clear room.

Yeah, the Cs can clear millions off the cap. Are you attempting to say that those millions should be paid to Bird instead of other players?

Because if Bird is getting any contract next year it will be a vet min contract for less than a million dollars and you don't need to clear cap space to offer him that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:48:36 AM by nickagneta »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Are you saying that the Celtics will have all that money because they're going to let all those players walk?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Are you saying that the Celtics will have all that money because they're going to let all those players walk?
I sure hope not!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I said no because if we bring him up for the playoffs we start his clock for one month of this season... no thanks. I'd rather wait until next season, trade Nader, then bring Bird up so that we get a full 4 years of control. Also helps with the luxury tax for a year if we do it in that order.

Bird vs Nader isn't going to make or break these playoffs. This is a learning experience for the young guys. Any games we win are gravy.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I was wondering if anyone has changed their mind on this one way or the other?

Now that Larkin is hurt, the need for another guard is substantial, especially an aggressive defender like Bird.

And what does Nader bring? Less than nothing.

I was for cutting Nader back then and signing Bird for the playoffs despite the (small) cap implications and losing control of Bird one year sooner.

With Larkin injured,  I feel even stronger about it.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Now that Larkin is hurt, the need for another guard is substantial, especially an aggressive defender like Bird.

I was for cutting Nader back then and signing Bird for the playoffs despite the (small) cap implications and losing control of Bird one year sooner.

I have never clicked yes on a poll so fast as when I voted on this one. I simply cannot stand the way Nader plays. He is horrible and plays the wrong way.

Would pay a team to take him. Praying he's cut this offseason
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I have never clicked yes on a poll so fast as when I voted on this one. I simply cannot stand the way Nader plays. He is horrible and plays the wrong way.

Would pay a team to take him. Praying he's cut this offseason

TP. What is most offensive about Nader is his seeming disdain for defense.....or is it ineptness at D or both.

Either way, the guy sucks and a fresh Jabari bird would’ve helped us… Wish we had him .