Poll

Would you release Nader so Jabari Bird can be playoff eligible?

Yes
35 (56.5%)
No
23 (37.1%)
Other
4 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: POLL: Dump Nader and sign Bird to a standard NBA contract to be playoff eligible  (Read 6235 times)

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I remember when people were excited about nadar.  I look forward to reading a similar thread about Byrd in the future.

Don't count on it.
Bird is a much better player than Nader and has been all along.

Tp
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nba should allow more leeway to add extra players for the playoffs for teams that are in the celts situation

Kyrie, Hayward are clearly not eligible for the playoffs. So let the team add 2 extra players

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Whether Nader is sitting at the end of the bench in the playoffs or Bird, isn't going to make a difference in how far this team goes in the playoffs. So to me, just let Nader finish the season on the squad and Bird can try to take his place on the end of the bench next year.

I agree

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Personally, I would contemplate such a move if we really had a shot at getting into the NBA Finals this year but since both Kyrie and Hayward aren't going to return, I don't see why we should cut Nader now, as an end-of-bench player isn't going to make the difference for us anyways.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am for cutting Nader because he shows an unwillingness or inability to play defense at the NBA level.  Guys like that whose offense does not outweigh their defensive woes need to go.  This is not the case with Monroe, because he can score, but with Nader in the game your opening a sieve for the other team to pour through.   

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Nader is a turnover machine. He drives me crazy.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Glad the Globe addressed the Bird dilemna today:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/04/08/celtnotes/GSc1wK2vXfSbrvX5KHm6yI/story.html

After missing nearly two months with a back injury, rookie Jabari Bird has impressed the organization with his recent play, yet placing him on the playoff roster would require a series of difficult decisions that the club would have to execute in the next few days.

Bird is on a two-way contract that’s tied mostly to the G-League, meaning he is not eligible for the playoffs. Only players on full NBA deals can participate in the postseason. So the Celtics would have to sign Bird to a full NBA contract.

Secondly, the club would have to make a subsequent roster move to make room for Bird on the 15-man roster, meaning they would have to waive a player such as Abdel Nader.

Bird, who has scored 24 points in the past two games, including 9 in the Celtics’ 112-106 loss to Atlanta on Sunday, has flourished with his athleticism, cutting to the basket, and defense. He could have made more of a contribution during the regular season buta back injury robbed him of an opportunity, until now..........................

..................With the Celtics being shorthanded on guards with Kyrie Irving and Marcus Smart out, Bird could provide depth, but the Celtics would have to cut another player.

For example, the Golden State Warriors added Quinn Cook to their roster for backcourt depth but had to waive veteran Omri Casspi on Saturday to execute the move.

“Those aren’t my discussions or my job, so I don’t really get into that. But at the end of the day, I think he is playing well,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said of Bird. “He’s doing some good things. I thought offensively he was pretty good, especially early. Everybody’s going to be a little bit better when you’re younger and when you’re in for the first time when you’re not at the end, like they were when they were more featured. When they can play off of the other guys. And so I think that he’s done a good job in the last couple of games, and will probably play some of the next two.”

Because Bird’s two-way contract is for one year — most are generally for two-year terms – he is a restricted free agent this summer and could draw offers from other clubs. The Celtics, if they submit a qualifying offer to Bird, would have the right to match any offer, but Bird, because of his potential, could draw a contract too expensive for the Celtics to match.

Signing Bird to a multiyear deal now would eliminate his status as a restricted free agent, but again, it would require another player on the roster to be waived.

Glad this is gaining some media traction now too.

Cut Nader, free Bird.

Or is it, free Nader, sign Bird?

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I think it boils down to a need for another ball handler. Bird should be signed.

(Neither one of these guys will see the court in the playoffs, barring injuries.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:38:32 PM by liam »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
No. As better as Bird is compared to Nader, it would be a waste of contract if you signed him full time this year. Better sign him next year full time for cap flexibility.

Whether Nader is sitting at the end of the bench in the playoffs or Bird, isn't going to make a difference in how far this team goes in the playoffs. So to me, just let Nader finish the season on the squad and Bird can try to take his place on the end of the bench next year.

TP to both you guys for the pragmatism and salience.

Don’t like Nader, but both regarding goodwill with his agent and others as well as the not rocking the boat angle, I get it.

If you really like Bird and think he has a future, then you don't want him on this playoff roster. Unless you think upgrading from Nader to Bird is going to win a championship or something, it's not worth it. Signing him now would mean making this season the first of his rookie contract and then he'd only have one more year before he'd be a rfa.

Holding tight and letting this season play out means getting a whole extra year of control of Bird on a cheap contract and doesn't tie up a little bit of extra money this summer when it might matter.

A nice rundown of the financial ramifications of signing Bird:
https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/4/9/17213378/jabari-bird-walked-through-that-door-can-the-celtics-keep-him-for-the-playoffs
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Next 2 games...if Bird keeps flying and Nader keeps drowning

Sign Bird for the playoffs

At this rate why wouldnt another team sign him in the offseason

Teams also put good value in players that have endured a CBS program these days like they do a Popovich program

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don't think it matters, because a) if the Celtics were to be in the position of needing Bird in the playoffs, they're not going far anyway, and b) he probably wouldn't fare too well against top competition.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I don't think it matters, because a) if the Celtics were to be in the position of needing Bird in the playoffs, they're not going far anyway, and b) he probably wouldn't fare too well against top competition.

Playoffs are a big money maker for teams

Getting past the first round guarantees 2 extra home games = lots of $$$

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I remember when people were excited about nadar.  I look forward to reading a similar thread about Byrd in the future.

Forget those two. I still believe in James Young.

Mike

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Playoffs are a big money maker for teams

Getting past the first round guarantees 2 extra home games = lots of $$$

Sure, but I don't think Bird can significantly help in achieving that goal.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Nader is on a 3 year deal.  Cutting him only makes it that much harder to stay under the luxury tax going forward.  No way I'd do that just to get Jabari Bird a few minutes of PT in a year where Kyrie and Hayward are out.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston_celtics/