Poll

Would you release Nader so Jabari Bird can be playoff eligible?

Yes
35 (56.5%)
No
23 (37.1%)
Other
4 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: POLL: Dump Nader and sign Bird to a standard NBA contract to be playoff eligible  (Read 6231 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Bird is showing the flashes that he did earlier in the season of being a competent defender with some mature offensive instincts. (Here's one thread on him from earlier on:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94020.msg2401327#msg2401327

As a 2-way player, he is not playoff eligible, per se.

However, it is my understanding that if a two way player is granted a standard NBA contract anytime before the last game of the season, he is playoff eligible.

In order to do that, the Cs (I think) would have to cut someone on the regular roster. Enter rather, exit) Abdel (I look lost out there and missed 5 free-throws in a row once) Nader.

Would you do it?

For me this is a win-win: Addition by subtraction of Nader and the positive gain of a heady, physical, gritty Bird.

Bird was injured for over a month and a half and just now (after almost 3 months) is getting back to speed both literally and figuratively.

Lets give him a playoff shot.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I remember when people were excited about nadar.  I look forward to reading a similar thread about Byrd in the future.

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I know Nadar has had a bunch of bad moments but it hasn't been all bad...

We have seen more of him this year and his length, in my opinion, is better for the Team on switches...

I feel he has earned the right to at least finish out the season...  He is apart of the chemistry that has been an advantage for us this year..

Bird has just missed too much time with the big club.. 

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I remember when people were excited about nadar.  I look forward to reading a similar thread about Byrd in the future.

Not sure why one would want a potential Celtic contributor to fail/fall from grace, so negative stuff can be said about them.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Whether Nader is sitting at the end of the bench in the playoffs or Bird, isn't going to make a difference in how far this team goes in the playoffs. So to me, just let Nader finish the season on the squad and Bird can try to take his place on the end of the bench next year.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
No. As better as Bird is compared to Nader, it would be a waste of contract if you signed him full time this year. Better sign him next year full time for cap flexibility.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Not sure why one would want a potential Celtic contributor to fail/fall from grace, so negative stuff can be said about them.
Point flew right over your head.  It’s always the new/next guy that gets the praise, if only because he hasn’t the opportunity to fail.  Odds are Bird will wash out like the majority of second round fringe guys.

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm going to say wait and see.  He needs to play a few more games like that before I'm ready to put too much faith in him.  But he's off to a great start so far!

I'm glad that you are excited, but pump the brakes a little. ;)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Drop allen and nader. Have bird and gibson on the playoff roster

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Point flew right over your head.  It’s always the new/next guy that gets the praise, if only because he hasn’t the opportunity to fail.  Odds are Bird will wash out like the majority of second round fringe guys.

I got that.

I also got, loud and clear, “look forward to”.

Implicit in that is wishing something to happen, I.e a “wash out” of a potential rotational Celtic.

Bird is not your average late second fringe guy. Bird played for a real suck coach in Cuonzo Martin at Cal. That guy singlehadedly (good for us I guess) stunted Jaylen Browns development and Isaac Raab’s career, as well as Bird’s.

Bird already has chemistry with Brown (both on and off the court) and Monroe (who may or may not, and I hope he is, be here next year ).

Bird will be on the roster next year.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
No. As better as Bird is compared to Nader, it would be a waste of contract if you signed him full time this year. Better sign him next year full time for cap flexibility.

Whether Nader is sitting at the end of the bench in the playoffs or Bird, isn't going to make a difference in how far this team goes in the playoffs. So to me, just let Nader finish the season on the squad and Bird can try to take his place on the end of the bench next year.

TP to both you guys for the pragmatism and salience.

Don’t like Nader, but both regarding goodwill with his agent and others as well as the not rocking the boat angle, I get it.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
If Brad thinks he needs another ball handler for the playoffs, dropping Nader might be something they look into. If Smart is coming back it would be irrelevant.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Don't count on it.
Bird is a much better player than Nader and has been all along.

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
With only 3 games to go Nader will have been paid for the year.  Bird or even Gibson look to be more useful at both ends of the floor.

Contract would be for 3 games plus the play-off run?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I dream of Danny cutting Nader for Bird (or anyone)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)