Poll

Would You Be In Favor Of Shutting Smart Down For The Rest of The Year?

Yes
12 (38.7%)
No
19 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Poll: Shut Down Smart As Well?  (Read 2550 times)

Poll: Shut Down Smart As Well?
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If Ainge wants to keep Smart long term, then it may be best to let him "rest" and shut him down for the rest of the year. In a way, I suppose that also would allow us to keep Smart at a very reasonable rate going forward, since I honestly doubt any team will offer Smart more than 10M/Year considering his shooting and also the injuries (along with how bad the market will likely be this summer with most teams capped out).

Then again, it's sad to think that we may have seen Smart's last game with the Celtics months ago...  :(

Idk, what do you guys think?

I personally would love to keep both Rozier + Smart going forward, even if it means going deeper into the tax since now there will be lingering concerns about Kyrie's knee going forward (good to have the depth).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Poll: Shut Down Smart As Well?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Shut down Scalabrine. Please!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Don't think it's the C's call on Smart. It's up to Smart and his camp.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I would love to keep Smart and Rozier as well. They remind me a little of Sam & KC when they backed up Cousy and Sharman. I love sending them out as our 2nd unit backcourt attack dogs.

Who are we going to get to fill their roles who would be better?  As long as Rozier doesn't become a head case over not starting, they look like championship backups to me.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Don't think it's the C's call on Smart. It's up to Smart and his camp.

Yeah, I don't think Smart would like it if DA told him that he's getting shut down for the year.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would shut him down it will make him cheaper to resign but I doubt Smart's agent wants that.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd only be in favor of it if the doctors were in agreement it's better for his long term health. If he's healed I probably wouldn't consider it unless Smart's camp was open to it

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:09:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I don't think players should be have the right to shut themselves down.  Not unless I can shut myself down from work for a few months because I'm uncomfortable. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 09:43:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't think players should be have the right to shut themselves down.  Not unless I can shut myself down from work for a few months because I'm uncomfortable.
If a player feels he is physically unable to perform even if the team's medical and training staff clears them, I think its their absolute right to shut themselves down and not play. The doctors and trainers

1. Don't always prioritize what is best for you but what is best for their employers

2. Don't always have the correct diagnosis down.

Players know their bodies. They know when things aren't right even when the doctors say everything is okay to go. The players should never feel they absolutely have to play if they feel they aren't physically able to go

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:29:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Lol, but I meant more in the sense that Ainge and ownership shut Smart down for the year, not Smart himself.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If a player feels he is physically unable to perform even if the team's medical and training staff clears them, I think its their absolute right to shut themselves down and not play. The doctors and trainers

1. Don't always prioritize what is best for you but what is best for their employers

2. Don't always have the correct diagnosis down.

Players know their bodies. They know when things aren't right even when the doctors say everything is okay to go. The players should never feel they absolutely have to play if they feel they aren't physically able to go

But when players can decide the conditions under which they'll play, that creates a slippery slope.  There's a lot of room for the athlete to take advantage of that.

Is it status-specific?  Can an all-star choose to sit if he/she doesn't feel 100%, but a role-player is expected to suit up until the wheels fall off? The NBA, in particular, is truly a league run by the highest profile players.  I think they'd succeed in a mutiny.

Or profession-specific?  If I stated a need for a work hiatus: 1. It'd require a strong rationale with supporting  documentation, 2. If honored, it'd prob hurt me long-term.  Even in a more minor situation... If you were my boss, and said "tar, we need a report within 6 hours," I'd say "I'll get on it, nick."  You'd reply in typical nick fashion, "You better, idiot!"

Injury severity-specific?  I'd support a player shutting himself down to avoid a serious long-term injury.  For example, a player that doesn't feel ready to return from a concussion (I think we actually talked about that once).  Athletes are paid (very well) for a service with certain expectations.  While I don't advocate for long-term risk, they chose the profession.

I think there's merit to it under certain circumstances.  But there's a lot of gray area and it's ultimately an ethical issue.  I always worry that when a lot of money is involved in any decision-making process, there's an increased likelihood of foul play, too.  Sometimes these reports don't add up, and other times, the player just blatantly neglects his duty. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I don't think there's any easy answer to this. For examples:

Kyrie's knee and Marcus' hand are totally different. One was work-related, the other wasn't. They should both have some say in their health, but Marcus deserves more liability. Reckless behavior should absolutely be punishable in a player contract.

Players have guaranteed contracts that cost the team money when they sit, BUT, they also play under a salary cap. The CBA is a give-and-take so I don't think you can pick on their ability to collect a paycheck from the bench per se.

Players have short careers and their health has a huge impact on their earning potential. More so than most careers, we're talking one injury affecting your lifetime earnings by a sizable percentage. Guys are having real surgeries that can leave them in pain long after retirement.

Teams don't always have the right incentives, e.g. free-agent-to-be playing hurt who is unlikely to return.

I think the best we can hope for is that teams follow protocols with multiple medical opinions and erring on the side of the player's health. NBA players obviously aren't coal miners, but I think guys deserve the right to protect their lifelong health and careers except in the most extreme cases.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 12:39:36 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I just dnt think shutting down or not shutting down Smart has any effect on his value. Even if he comes out and average like 20 points a game on good shooting for 2 series (very unlikely) are you going to believe that sample size or the massive 4 season sample size when negotiating a contract? We know what Smart is, sitting him isnt hiding him from anyone.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 07:00:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just dnt think shutting down or not shutting down Smart has any effect on his value

You don't think GMs are going to say with yourstyle and injury history we can't go over x amount for you.   Also guys want to product during contract years as it raises their value.   Ever heard of a guy getting a huge raise after a year full of nagging injuries?

If you still think the answer is no, I have some real estate on Jupiter that I will sell you real cheap...Jk

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If Ainge wants to keep Smart long term, then it may be best to let him "rest" and shut him down for the rest of the year.

No.

Smart hurt his thumb, not his knee.  There is no reason to shut him down.